PDA

View Full Version : loctite is it superglue

Alistair Hosie
03-07-2003, 08:53 PM
Is loctite just another name for superglue
I e cyanoacrylite or what ever its called technically.I have wondered this for some time Alistair

trap
03-07-2003, 09:48 PM
Loctite is a brand name. They make a lot of different adhesives and sealers ...... all of which are second to no one.

George Hodge
03-07-2003, 09:58 PM
Alistair,it works the same way as super glue,sets up in the absence of air. You can leave the cap off and it stays liquid.Most Loctite takes lots longer to set than super glue.

gvasale
03-07-2003, 10:27 PM
Locktite is definitely not what's referred to as "super glue," a very quick setting adhesive. Super glue will bond skin nearly instantly where Locktite will not. There may be some common chemistry, but they are not the same. Another example, if you use Red or Blue Locktite to assemble threads, you have a short time befor they go solid. A noticable difference than if you try to stick something with super glue. Now, I have known some people to use super glue in place of locktite on occasion, just dont get it on yourself or the part your gluing up will be yourself. Then you need acetone to dissolve it.

nheng
03-07-2003, 10:32 PM
Loctite has excellent tech sheets on every adhesive product with real scientific data on cure times vs material and surface prep.
Also has a tech support staff which is knowledgeable and helpful.
Den

JCHannum
03-07-2003, 10:35 PM
Loctite is a brand name that has become generic. They, and Permatex manufacture a wide range of anaerobic adhesives for many applications. Go to www.loctite.com (http://www.loctite.com) for all you care to know about the products.
Loctite, WD-40 and duct tape, can't function without them.

docsteve66
03-08-2003, 12:57 AM
JCH: how do you get along with out baling wire (now days i use re bar tie wire). its good as superglue, and makes gas welding rod too.
Steve

Thrud
03-08-2003, 01:13 AM
Alistair
JCH is correct about them being anaerobic adhesives (set in abscence of air).

Some or all of them could be in the Cyanoacrylate family - you definately should not breath the fumes if parts are heated to release them. If you are concerned check the MSDS for the respective compounds you are using from their website.

jr45acp
03-08-2003, 07:45 AM
In addition to bailing wire, I would also add JB Weld. It's saved my butt on more than one occassion http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

------------------
John B

JCHannum
03-08-2003, 09:08 AM
Re-wire and JB Weld should also be most definitely included. You may recall, I suggested JB Weld for post-apcalyptic world.
If you can't find a way to fix your mistakes, there is no point in making them in the first place.

Al Messer
03-08-2003, 09:53 AM
Will Acetone cause Loc-tite 609 "turn loose"?

gvasale
03-08-2003, 11:06 AM
I've never tried anything but heat for high strength Locktite, but keep acetone handy when super glue is in use. I suppose I could try it later.

tattoomike68
03-09-2003, 02:49 AM
super glue is what they glue skin together and many plastic surgons use it to put faces together.
i keep some in my tool box as a kick butt band aid and it dont make a scar.
loctite comes in many forms and is killer glue.

Axel
03-09-2003, 06:58 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jr45acp:
In addition to bailing wire, I would also add JB Weld. It's saved my butt on more than one occassion http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

</font>

Your butt is supposed to have a crack in it!

Randy
03-10-2003, 07:15 AM
Superglue contains cyanoacrylate ester, while Loctite has methacrylate ester. I don't know a lot of chemistry, but I presume that you don't have to worry about cyanide poisoning if you overheat Loctite. As stated by others Loctite hardens in the absence of oxygen, but superglue is different. Scientific American had a short article on it a few years ago, and IIRC it said that exposure to atmospheric water vapor causes the glue molecule to uncoil, making available numerous hydrogen bonding sites. (I was hoping to include a link to the article, but I couldn't find it at S-A's website.)

Cass
03-10-2003, 11:09 AM
Methylene chloride is the best thing for killing loctite. The problem is gettng it into the joint. Lots of soak time required. Heat is the best if the parts can stand it. I have also taken things apart with liquid nitrogen when there is a difference in materials such as in the case of aluminum inside steel. The aluminum shrinks more than the steel when things get cold and the loctite shrinks the most so the aluminum part can just fall out. If it is steel inside aluminum you have to try to cool only the steel while you heat the aluminum to get the required temperature difference.

ibewgypsie
03-10-2003, 01:06 PM
&lt;old harley rider here. We put them old choppers together with USED bolts. Putting chalk on the threads would keep them together (well most the time) I was happy when loctite came along. I keep several bottles around. A poor thread in aluminum can be used with loctite. I use the red. I use a lot of NY-lok nuts these days also. But they need replacement each time. When my lil brother got out of the army he gave me his lock-wiring pliers and I tried that for a few years, want to get bloody? work on one of them bikes I tie-wired. it sure did look cool tho. Yes I did bend the tails under, but still seemed to always get stuck.
Loctite may be kin to superglue, but not the same. I keep both in my tool box. (the ty-wire pliers are rusty now)

Jaymo
03-10-2003, 09:02 PM
When I was in tech school, we were required to do all our safety wiring with duckbill pliers. Safety wire pliers were not allowed. They wanted us to learn to do it the hard way first. We were NOT happy about that. But we did learn to do some damned good lockwiring with those duckbills, many grades depended on it.
We also had a lot of loctite that was donated by a local airline because it had reached it's expiration date. I still have some, 12 years later, and it's still good. The green sleeve retaining compound is awesome. I've repaired damaged threads in aluminum, cast iron, and steel parts on my cars with it. Non torque crucial items only. Still holding. Had a few parts that were stripped on an old Dodge, and couldn't find replacements. Tried everything else, finally tried it in desparation. Amazed that it held like brand new. Good stuff.
I've heard of superglue being used for bandage. I've heard of infection resulting, and heard that it's best not to completely close it up with CA, but to use it like stitches, to allow the wound to breathe. Don't have any personal experience with it, yet. Sure I will someday. I'm a fan of steri strips. Not crazy about stitches. The last time I had to get stitches it cost me 300 bucks. None of the local medical/emergency clinics would do it. Had to go to E-room at hospital to get it done. 5 little stitches in a finger. That's about 50 bucks per stitch. And that was just my deductible. The actual bill was way higher than that. If I had known about using CA as a suture at that time, I would have gone to the drug store and bought some. Couldn't get steri strips to do the job on that wound. CA would have been perfect.
What's better as a suture, super glue liquid or gel? (serious question, actually.)

gvasale
03-11-2003, 10:01 AM
Look for "butterefly" bandages as an alternative to "steri-strips." Remember neither is a substitute for proper medical care.

Kevin45
03-11-2003, 07:19 PM
Loctite 404is the same as Super Glue. Yellow bottle. We use it all the time at work.

Kevin

darryl
03-11-2003, 11:42 PM
I've used superglue myself on gaping wounds. I had some 1/2 A flying line (dacron, I believe) and I wrapped it around the open wound to close it up, then spotglued the line either side of the wound, cutting away the excess line so blood could flow again in my finger. Seemed to work well, no infection problems, but got a lot of flak from my friends over doing that. I've read that super glue got it's start as a tool for surgeons to mend blood vessels.

Randy
03-12-2003, 05:04 AM
Jaymo asked:What's better as a suture, super glue liquid or gel? (serious question, actually.)

I prefer the gel type for minor finger cuts because the liquid tends to flow into the wound and stings quite a bit (boo-hoo-hoo), but I haven't found either to last very well, so I've largely given up on the idea. Now I usually wash up and use a proper bandage.

Kevin45
03-13-2003, 11:35 AM
I always heard that when Super Glue was first invented it was to glue wounds shut on the battle field. The was the original purpose. After that they found out it could glue other things. I always keep a bottle in my toolbox for the little snaggles you get at the edge of the fingernail. You know the one that hooks the pants pocket everytime. Glue them babies right up. One place I worked a real cruel trick was played on one guy and no one...other than the person who did it...knew who did it. Don't ever try this either as it was rather cruel and the emergency squad had to come. This guy has a case of the screamin you know whats. So he was in and out of the bathroom quite a few times. I guess he had a stall that he favored. Well someone put super glue on the toilet seat and he didn't notice it. Evidently it was done right before he went in and the lid was up. He throwed the lid down and plopped himself right down and glued himself to the seat. I had to laugh at the time but if they ever found out who did it heads were going to roll. NOt too good of a joke. They have a solvent to counteract the glue.

Kevin

jr45acp
03-13-2003, 11:50 AM
Kevin, that's what they told us Corpsman. I've used it on a few occasions, but still like black silk and a nice cutting needle for wound repair.

------------------
John B

docsteve66
03-13-2003, 07:58 PM
Superglue for wounds with no doc is fine- and personally i prefer it. Common old black plastic electricians tape is good for fingerwounds. I have cut to the bone, wrapped the flap down, left thetape a few dapys and removed it. the skin below dies- turns milky white. Never a scar no evidnece of injury. Took 40 stiches in palm and the scars remain after 30 years. My choice would, today, be super glue, and whiskey (glue external, whiskey internal- and do NOT get confused about where its used). Use the superglue in moderation. Not giving advice to any , just reporting my experience.
Steve

merf23
03-14-2003, 09:09 AM
Actually, you can glue the steri strips on...really. Steristrips are a good product, but they tend to peel off too soon if not covered by a secondary dressing. You definately want a wound from the shop to be able to drain as needed. The steris are permeable to air and fluid. After elective procedures, i often run one steri along the wound and then cut some in half and apply them perpendicular. A little glue will help keep them on for a week or so.

darryl
03-16-2003, 06:39 AM
Is there a way to cure threadlocker, where it's not desired to remove the excess?

gvasale
03-16-2003, 08:01 AM
first, don't apply too much. where space allows, wipe up excess. BTW, I have noticed that they all go solid when applied, but even at the edges, where the "glue line" is visible. Could be there is a chemical change working its way from inside to outside.

John Stevenson
03-16-2003, 08:36 AM
I've always swore by welding flux and masking tape for cuts.
Welding flux is 99% borax and all it does is dry the wouund up and cause it to scab. Just as in nature but faster.
I'm 55 now and had a fair few wounds from this trade, one open a finger to the bone for about 2" but in all that time I've never been to the hospital, or doctors and I've never ever had a single stitch.
It's not a desk job either. Working out a while ago I realised that over the years I have lost every fingernail at least once.
Toenails may not have been a full set but broken toes made up for that.

In the last ten years we have had three new doctors, never seen one.

John S.