• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alistair Hosie
    • Aug 2002

loctite is it superglue

Is loctite just another name for superglue
    I e cyanoacrylite or what ever its called technically.I have wondered this for some time Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease
  • trap
    • Jan 2002

Loctite is a brand name. They make a lot of different adhesives and sealers ...... all of which are second to no one.

Comment

• George Hodge
      • Jul 2001

Alistair,it works the same way as super glue,sets up in the absence of air. You can leave the cap off and it stays liquid.Most Loctite takes lots longer to set than super glue.

Comment

• gvasale
        • Mar 2002

Locktite is definitely not what's referred to as "super glue," a very quick setting adhesive. Super glue will bond skin nearly instantly where Locktite will not. There may be some common chemistry, but they are not the same. Another example, if you use Red or Blue Locktite to assemble threads, you have a short time befor they go solid. A noticable difference than if you try to stick something with super glue. Now, I have known some people to use super glue in place of locktite on occasion, just dont get it on yourself or the part your gluing up will be yourself. Then you need acetone to dissolve it.
        gvasale

Comment

• nheng
          • Jun 2002

Loctite has excellent tech sheets on every adhesive product with real scientific data on cure times vs material and surface prep.
          Also has a tech support staff which is knowledgeable and helpful.
          Den

Comment

• JCHannum
            • Nov 2001

Loctite is a brand name that has become generic. They, and Permatex manufacture a wide range of anaerobic adhesives for many applications. Go to www.loctite.com for all you care to know about the products.
            Loctite, WD-40 and duct tape, can't function without them.
            Jim H.

Comment

• docsteve66
              • Feb 2002

JCH: how do you get along with out baling wire (now days i use re bar tie wire). its good as superglue, and makes gas welding rod too.
              Steve

Comment

• Thrud
                • Mar 2001

Alistair
                JCH is correct about them being anaerobic adhesives (set in abscence of air).

Some or all of them could be in the Cyanoacrylate family - you definately should not breath the fumes if parts are heated to release them. If you are concerned check the MSDS for the respective compounds you are using from their website.

Comment

• jr45acp
                  • Sep 2002

In addition to bailing wire, I would also add JB Weld. It's saved my butt on more than one occassion

------------------
                  John B
                  John B

Comment

• JCHannum
                    • Nov 2001

Re-wire and JB Weld should also be most definitely included. You may recall, I suggested JB Weld for post-apcalyptic world.
                    If you can't find a way to fix your mistakes, there is no point in making them in the first place.
                    Jim H.

Comment

• Al Messer
                      • Jun 2002

Will Acetone cause Loc-tite 609 "turn loose"?

Comment

• gvasale
                        • Mar 2002

I've never tried anything but heat for high strength Locktite, but keep acetone handy when super glue is in use. I suppose I could try it later.
                        gvasale

Comment

• tattoomike68

super glue is what they glue skin together and many plastic surgons use it to put faces together.
                          i keep some in my tool box as a kick butt band aid and it dont make a scar.
                          loctite comes in many forms and is killer glue.

Comment

• Axel
                            • Mar 2001

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jr45acp:
                            In addition to bailing wire, I would also add JB Weld. It's saved my butt on more than one occassion

</font>

Your butt is supposed to have a crack in it!

Comment

• Randy
                              • Apr 2001

Superglue contains cyanoacrylate ester, while Loctite has methacrylate ester. I don't know a lot of chemistry, but I presume that you don't have to worry about cyanide poisoning if you overheat Loctite. As stated by others Loctite hardens in the absence of oxygen, but superglue is different. Scientific American had a short article on it a few years ago, and IIRC it said that exposure to atmospheric water vapor causes the glue molecule to uncoil, making available numerous hydrogen bonding sites. (I was hoping to include a link to the article, but I couldn't find it at S-A's website.)

Comment

Working...
                              X