PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0463/Sieg X-3 Mill Stand?

DICKEYBIRD
12-05-2006, 11:52 AM
Just ordered an X-3 from Grizzly and a ton of accessories for my birthday/Christmas (with SWMBO's blessings, HOO-AHH!) and am needing a table/stand for it. Grizzly's recommendation looks a bit weak to me. http://grizzly.com/products/G7313

Any other suggestions? Also how far off the ground does this size machine need to live? Their standard mill stands look too low to me. http://www.grizzly.com/products/G5944

I've never owned a mill but it seems like it ought be up where the X/Y table is at a height that's comfortable for the hands to spin the handles. My main workbench is 36" high and I'm thinking that height may be OK. What sez ya'll?

brettjones
12-05-2006, 02:23 PM
I've had that machine for about 2 months now (I need to shim the column to tram it, but I'm happy with it). I put mine up on the work bench to use it, with plans to build a stand for it later. The bench is 32 inches high and I think it's a bit too high for the mill so I'll build the stand at 30 inches. I've got some 3x3x1/8 tubing and 1/4 plate in the shop, so I'll be building the stand out of that.

Does anyone know if the mill bolts to the stand that Grizzly sells for this machine? I'm a bit worried about having a tippy top heavy machine.

RobertLC
12-05-2006, 02:23 PM
How 'bout makin' a stand out of 4x4's? I just bought a dovetail mill from PennTool w/power feed...without the stand and the only reason I didn't was because of my low basement ceilings, so, I'll have to fabricate a stand from 4z4's.

DICKEYBIRD
12-05-2006, 03:11 PM
Thanks guys!

Brett I'm glad to hear from someone that has an X-3 and is happy with it. Also, your wanting it down around 30" tells me my 36" bench would be way too high. I'm a tad under 6 ft. tall...what about you? Just comparing. I'd hate to get it too low and get the 'ol back out of whack again.

The cust. svc. fellow that recommended the 1st stand linked to above said the mill would have to be bolted down to the top with 1 3/4" lag bolts. It's 30 1/2" tall which would put it in the height range we're looking for and the price is OK. I just worry about it's rigidity. It's rated for 700 lbs so it may be OK.

I don't have any nice 4x4's squirreled away and heck, they're pretty darned expensive to buy these days.

My other option is a surplus phone equipment rack I have lying around that's built very strong. The main structure is 2" alum. angle (webs are 1/4" thick) with sheet steel sides. It's about 6 ft. tall but I was thinking about sectioning it down to the appropriate height and bracing the top. The only problem is that's another project to complete before I can get to milling parts. I wanna play with my new toys NOW! :)

japcas
12-05-2006, 04:01 PM
****eybird, if you really want to get started playing right away then I would just buy the stand that you showed in the first link. It is not terrribly expensive and you can get a feel for what height you might want or need. If you decide to build one later on then that stand could be put to work doing something else. If nothing else it would be handy beside of the mill to hold tooling and setup stuff. Have fun. :)

Spin Doctor
12-05-2006, 05:07 PM
For anybody owning or interested in the X3

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/X3_small_mill/

brettjones
12-05-2006, 05:16 PM
I'm 5'10", so about the same as you. Looking at the fist stand, it does not inspire a lot of confidence in me.

DICKEYBIRD
12-05-2006, 07:22 PM
japcas: It's spooky...you and I came to the exact same conclusion! I'm getting the (admittedly minimalist) inexpensive stand to get me up & running quickly, then build something more substantial later. The cheap stand will then move over to hold my (yet to be built) disc sander and tool grinder.

I musta been a good to wifey this year; she has my sweety-pie daughter buying the stand for me thinking it'll be a big surprise! Yup, you bet I'm surprised. I'm thinking I'm gonna wake up any minute now from this dream I'm having and reality will set in. ;)

Here's hoping ya'lls Christmas will be as merry as mine!

Tinkerer
12-05-2006, 08:02 PM
The table I built is 31" high and the gives me a 41" table height... same center height as the lathe. Trust me once you heft the beast up once you'll not want to do it again to soon. :eek:

Well at least that's MHO... ;)

PHiers
12-05-2006, 08:36 PM
I have one of those, got it free with some other stuff from Grizzly. I would not ever put a mill on it. In my way of thinking it is way too light weight. I think the 700 pounds they say it will hold is kinda like them one horsepower motors that draw 346 watts! :D

I have my dovetail column mill drill on a modified stand from home depot much heavier duty even before I beefed it up. Cost was 90 dollars a few years ago.

Your milage may vary.

DICKEYBIRD
12-05-2006, 09:15 PM
Hmmmm, the Green Bear folks recommended it....so if it falls over & maims me, I'm set for life?? ;)

More seriously, I'll have to brace it diagonally and be real careful 'til I can build something else.

Thanks for the warning!

DICKEYBIRD
12-17-2006, 09:22 AM
Oops, wrong pic.

DICKEYBIRD
12-17-2006, 09:24 AM
Well, the mill finally showed up and I did in fact put it on the little Shop Fox stand. It (the stand) is a little cheesy but adding a few diagonal braces really added some rigidity. I can grab the top of the mill and try to turn it over and nothing moves. Since the picture was taken, I added a metal shelf to hold stuff.

Should be OK 'til I can make a real stand. Gotta make chips, no time to build a stand yet...it's my 1st mill! :)

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g227/DBAviation/X3Stand.jpg

PHiers
12-17-2006, 07:16 PM
It looks like you braced it well. Should work ok.

Ron Horton
12-18-2006, 01:39 AM
Greetings to all--
Ref: Grizzly G5944 stand for a mill, I would not recommend it-- Got one of those for my mill, and feel the stand is way too flimsy to support all that weight-- Am going to build a stand for it-- When the mill is placed on the stand, guess where the handy-dandy door to the lower storage area is?? You have a choice of it being on either side of the stand-- Also, they advise to cut a hole in the already flimsy top to access adjusting screws for the table-- So much for using flood cooling, which incidentally, the top is designed for--I wrote Grizzly and complained, and received a quick reply-- "Sorry you're unhappy with the product, we'll turn your comments over to our R&D group, etc, etc"-- Haven't heard anything else from them-- This will likely be my last purchase from them-- Hope this saves somebody some money and aggravation--
Best regards, Ron