12-13-2006, 10:58 AM
Is anyone else having a problem? I havent been able to get anything from
the "news.west" news server for 3 days now. Wonder what could have
happened? Earthlink has always been right on top of things. Its getting
so I miss the flame wars . :-)
lew

mklotz
12-13-2006, 11:17 AM
Last message I can retrieve from it is dated 12/8. (I'm also using news.west.)
The earthlink system status page says they're aware of the problem.

Timleech
12-13-2006, 11:22 AM
I
Its getting so I miss the flame wars . :-)
lew

I gave up r.c.m a couple of years ago, haven't missed it at all
I checked back a few months ago, confirmed that nothing has changed, happy to avoid it altogether. ;)

Milacron of PM
12-13-2006, 12:46 PM
Is anyone else having a problem? I havent been able to get anything from
the "news.west" news server for 3 days now. Wonder what could have
happened? Earthlink has always been right on top of things. Its getting
so I miss the flame wars . :-)
lew
I wonder if flame wars is the actual attraction for most folks at RCM, as I can't imagine any other reason to go there.

John Stevenson
12-13-2006, 04:39 PM
It was a good site until the idiots took over.
I made a lot of friends on that board, visited some last time we were in the States and had a few visit us as well.
Been about 3 years since I've posted there, like Tim looked a while ago but it's a waste of time now.
Most if not all the early guys have moved on, Fitch, Pete Nolan and others, a few have passed away like Teenut.
Politics, religion and guns have spoilt that site.

Rex
12-13-2006, 05:00 PM
Earthlink is having a problem with thei NG server since Friday Dec 8.
No NGs if you are on Earthlink.

I can't believe they don'thave it fixed yet.

Still some good info in RCM if you ignore the chaff, and screen out a few abusers.

Milacron of PM
12-13-2006, 06:42 PM
Still some good info in RCM if you ignore the chaff, and screen out a few abusers.

Possibly so, but the big question is 'why' ? Why would anyone prefer to post said good info there rather than here, Chaski, CNC Zone or PM sites ?

Lew Hartswick
12-13-2006, 07:02 PM
Possibly so, but the big question is 'why' ? Why would anyone prefer to post said good info there rather than here, Chaski, CNC Zone or PM sites ?
The big reason is it's text only and I don't have to wait for ages for all the
crappy images to load and not have to keep clicking down through all the
subdivisions etc. There is no dificulty in just killing threads. From the subject
line it's very easy to eliminate 90+ percent of the crap.
Having to keep going "Back" to find a new subject as on all the othr BBS is
a lot easier for me.
YMMV. :-)
...lew...

Milacron of PM
12-13-2006, 09:13 PM
The big reason is it's text only and I don't have to wait for ages for all the
crappy images to load and not have to keep clicking down through all the
subdivisions etc. There is no dificulty in just killing threads. From the subject
line it's very easy to eliminate 90+ percent of the crap.
Having to keep going "Back" to find a new subject as on all the othr BBS is
a lot easier for me.
YMMV. :-)
...lew...

Note I asked why do folks POST there, not why do folks read there.

Mcgyver
12-13-2006, 09:32 PM
Most if not all the early guys have moved on, Fitch, Pete Nolan and others, a few have passed away like Teenut.
Politics, religion and guns have spoilt that site.

amen to leaving out the politics religion and guns, or wait isn't the last one redundant? :D

amen to Robert B. he was treat, lived in Toronto for awhile, member of TSME but I never met him until 'online', he moved before i started in metal work in earnest. did he ever know his stuff and very entertaining to read. don't think it was rec crafts though, didn't there used to be a majordomo list, an email list? or was that the same thing? anyway i was on an email list with him, very enjoyable and back then except for a few tools most were polite and considerate

Even if i happen to agree with the position, last thing i want is some wanker spending every post trying to convert, worse than TV evangelists!

John Stevenson
12-14-2006, 04:24 AM
Yes Robert Bastow AKA "Teenut", was on both the Majordomo list and RCM for a while, never met the guy, closest I came to it was mailing him some heavy engraving plates from CA to Atlanta last time I was in the States.

Like many people you only see the tip of the iceberg when you read posts and replies here and on other groups.
I must spend about 2 hours per day doing emails and PM's to people on the few groups I'm on.
You get to "meet" very interesting people but like life you move on and contacts are lost.

RCM at this time was very close to this list to say it's unmoderated and other than a few spats, was kept in check by personal moderation but slowly the nuts took over.
It was a shame really as even the most disruptive members, Gunner comes to mind here, had a lot of good to say and had a lot of experience but it makes you wonder if some people don't have split personalities.

It's no good arguing with religion and politics as you will never sway anyone's point of view and a slanging match just erupts.

I have even had people off this list email me after a political post has appeared on this board and been dumped expecting me to carry it on via email.
No way, post dumped, end of story.

I like the way this board runs, moderated but only slightly, members expected to be on good behaviour.
Not all on topic posts but a conversation with a group of like minded folk in real life never is.

LG
12-14-2006, 04:57 AM
QUOTE{didn't there used to be a majordomo list, an email list? or was that the same thing? anyway i was on an email list with him, very enjoyable and back then except for a few tools most were polite and considerate}

The majordomo list is now http://www.kepler-eng.com/lists/info/modeleng-list
still friendly but you can expect 200 / 500 emails a week.

Lee