PDA

View Full Version : new to the site

jsn_joiner
12-13-2006, 02:16 PM
Hello

im new to to the site and kind of new to machine work. I have a 9x42 south bend lathe model A. i just recently just bought a burke model 4 for a beginer mill. got alot of projects i want to do. Hoping to get them done and to inprove my ability

thanks Jason

Your Old Dog
12-13-2006, 02:25 PM
Welcome to the forum Jason. Have you been lurking in the shadows for awhile of did you just drop right in? Hope you have a good time. Excluding present company, theres many on this site that know what they're doing :D

Mark Hockett
12-13-2006, 02:43 PM
Jason,
Welcome to the forum. This is a great place to learn about using those machines. Please list some of the projects that you are planning on doing, and learn how to post pictures so we can see them.
Have fun!

jsn_joiner
12-13-2006, 02:52 PM
well ive been lurking for awhile reading everything i could.

some of the projects are
taper attachment for sb9
new arbors for mill
qc tool holder for sb
and of course gatlin gun ( bought plans for this one already and cant wait)
and there are so many more

torker
12-13-2006, 03:01 PM
Jason...Welcome!
(psst...just plead insanity and you'll fit into the sport just fine :D )
Russ

PTSideshow
12-13-2006, 03:02 PM
Howdy, Jason:D

Evan
12-13-2006, 03:06 PM
Hi there. There's lot of South Benders here including myself. If you have questions just ask. Somebody will know the answer.

Bill Pace
12-13-2006, 03:36 PM
Welcome Jason...

Youre in deep doogie-doo, now you got a lathe ---

I would also like to try a Gatling gun but feel it is gonna tax my self taught skills, so I elected to try the Browning 1917-1919 models offered by CCS's prints........

http://www.ccsprints.com/

they arent quite as intimidating and are a real hoot to get finished. A few of us on here have done them,--- and even the Gatling ---and could rustle up some pics if you'd like. Member Cecil Walker led me astray,--- hes got some beautiful versions. (and was a great help when I got bound up a few times)

jsn_joiner
12-13-2006, 03:53 PM
http://www.modelgatlinggunplans.com/

these are the plans i have i think they are over my head right now but as i learn im going to make it.First i need to make a lot of tooling for the lathe and mill so i can get started.

jason

Tin Falcon
12-13-2006, 04:01 PM
Jason:
Welcome. So you are starting with a SB 9" I started with a 7 x mini lathe for about 5 years before moving up to a SB. Was fortunate to get some formal training and experience before starting the home shop. I build primariy model steam/air engines. Welcome to the rubber room where all is fun all the time LOL.
Regards
Tin

Ed Tipton
12-13-2006, 04:30 PM
Hello Jason,
I noticed in your intro that you are from Pekin, Il.
You may know of this place, but I thought I'd try and turn you on to a great place near to you.
The business is called A to Z surplus, and that pretty well describes his business. He has all kinds of tooling, electrical, hydraulic, gizmos , doo-dads etc. If you go north on rt 29, turn back to the east when you get to rt 98. Go about 1 mile to the first traffic light at the Casey's store. Hang a left at the light and turn at the first dirt road after you pass the Casey's parking entrance. He is the first bldg on the right. You can see his business from Casey's.
I have no interest in the business, but I've known the owner (Doug Sindle) for several years now, and he is a good guy. A lot of his stuff is going to be way over your head since it comes mainly from Cat, but if you look around, you will find plenty of plunder, excellent quality and reasonable prices. Tell him I said hello!:)

Bill Pace
12-13-2006, 04:43 PM
Jason,

Yes, my buddy and I also have the D & E plans for the Gatling. We ordered them first and while looking over them, Cecil (that I mentioned) posted some pics of his 1917 & 1919s on this forum and I asked him about them and he responded and I asked --etc, etc.........so we ordered the plans for them. I recently finished the water cooled 1917 version and if I do say so myself, its a nice peice of eye candy.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/pace1980/IMG_0556.jpg

jsn_joiner
12-14-2006, 01:39 PM
Ed i went to A to Z today and man i dont have enough money i wanted everything and could have spent hours there. They dont have alot of tooling for the small machine some but not alot. They do have reamers and taps and drills and testing equipment. Im going to buy a complete set of tool holders for carbide bits 3/4 shaft a left, right, and straight for $30 and make my own holder.Great place thanks for the info and i did tell him you said hi.

lazlo
12-14-2006, 02:34 PM
I recently finished the water cooled 1917 version and if I do say so myself, its a nice peice of eye candy.

That's gorgeous Bill!

So what are the ATF rules with these home-built machine guns? Are you allowed to make them fireable, or does
that make them a class 3 weapon?

I know the Gatlings fire. I'd love to attach a motorized crank to the CSC Gatling design for a home-made Vulcan.
I'm told the ATF frowns on that, but what if you build the hand-crank with a Oldham-style quick-connect? :)

japcas
12-14-2006, 03:53 PM
Bill, you have a right to be proud of the water cooled browning you built. It looks great.

Lazlo, these guns still operate on a semi automatic operation so they are perfectly legal. So are gatling guns but you absolutely can not put a motor on it or you will gain free room and board via the big house.

Ed Tipton
12-14-2006, 04:35 PM
Jason,
I know the feeling. I love to go there, but don't get to go quite as often as I used to. Every time I leave there, I have the feeling that If I could have just looked in one more box, I might have found the elusive treasure.
Glad you got over there, and try to get over there often. As he gets to know you, he will kind of get an idea of what you may be interested in. He really does not even know what he has in the place, but he has no problem with you searching through the shelves and boxes until you find what you need. As I said earlier, most of his stuff comes from Cat, so a lot of it is of no use to a HSM'er. If you keep going, you will realize that some of his stuff he has all the time. Other things are a one time good deal. I don't know if you're interested or not, but some of his best deals are on roll around carts and shelving units. Good luck in your searches.:)

pcarpenter
12-14-2006, 04:56 PM
Jason...I must have just missed you. I was at A-Z roughly at the time you submitted your post above....mostly waiting for Doug to get back from lunch.

It is admittedly a little hard to find stuff useful to the HSM there, as what tooling he has is often large. He has said that he gets a lot less tooling types of stuff now days. Hopefully you can make the 3/4" stuff work for you although it may be hard to get it low enough to get the cutting edge on center.

He has lots of industrial electrical stuff and I got most of the stuff I used to build my rotary phase converter from Doug. I also have a workbench that is two short Vidmar cabinets welded together that I got a year or so ago with a 3/8" steel top, It is really rough, but I will be able to make it useful with a little more work.

good luck and welcome to the group.

Paul