Parts schematic on Royal lever collet closer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BadDog
    • May 2006

Parts schematic on Royal lever collet closer?

Does it ever end?

I finally found some 5Cs that I thought were a decent deal, they came in today. So, I got out the Royal lever collet closer that I stored away right after I got the lathe. Oops! Since I had no immediate need for it, I forgot to clean it up!

So, I get started with a dismantle and clean.

Oops, the bracket for the swing arm mounted to the head stock is busted. No biggie, I'll just mill a new one out of Aluminum.

Oops, looks like the draw bar threads are well less than 50%. So bad that it's a bit hard to start a collet, and even with it almost bottomed, it's still got enough wiggle to worry me. Hmmm, maybe it will work for HSM duties, but I guess I need to look into making a new tube...

Oops again! The main mechanism is not obvious in it's disassembly.

The rear most knurled ring (to spin and tighten collet) behind the collar has a set screw and appears threaded. But it's been whacked and the threads are a bit messed up. I'll probably have to chuck it up and face off a bit (or just cut a small "V" at the threads) to remove the first damaged thread. Then the main collar on the collet side of the mechanism, the one that fits over the splined spindle adapter, has a flat head counter sunk bolt. Taking that out does not seem to free up anything. Probably just crud holding it locked. Oh, and the main bearing was seized, apparently causing it to spin on the center race? There is an grub set screw on what appears to be a collar that holds the bearing on the inner cone sleeve. Is that collar threaded? I can't get it to move, and there seems no way to hold it (the cone sleeve) if it unscrews.

<sigh>

So, anyone got a parts diagram on one of these things before I break something? At this point, I figure I'll probably making or buying one of those hand wheel closers...
    Russ
    Master Floor Sweeper
  • BadDog
    • May 2006

Ok, so nothing on this question.

How about a different question?

What is the best way to go about building a 5C collet draw tube? Whether I fix the royal, or go to a hand held, I'll need a tube. Maybe buy one from ebay or something? I've seen where people make up several and sell them, but I gotta think it's cheaper and only slightly more trouble to just make your own.
    Russ
    Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

• charlie coghill
      • Mar 2001

Baddog
      I had to make a new tube for my lever collet closer some years ago.
      I called a metal supply co. (don't remember which one) told the fellow what I was doing and the size that I needed.

The tube has to be smaller than the minor diameter of the 5C collet threads also the tube will need to be seamless.

That required that the tube be bored out as I could not get the exact diameter needed.

Hope this has helped.
      Charlie
      Don\'t ask me to do a dam thing, I\'m retired.
      http://home.earthlink.net/~kcprecision/

Comment

• nheng
        • Jun 2002

BadDog, I have a 5 page manual for the 5C lever closer from Royal in tif file format (fax). PM your email address to me if you'd like a copy. It has detailed parts diagrams and parts list for the closer and adapter bracket set. Den

Comment

Working...
        X