PDA

View Full Version : Smoke/fume removal on the cheap....

x39
03-15-2003, 06:42 PM
I had a thought this morning while making some French (oops I mean Freedom) toast. There was some smoke coming from the pan, and I turned on the range hood fan. It occured to me that a range hood would fit nicely over a bench lathe or a work area where soldering is done. Most come with built in lights, and they can be had new for as little as thirty dollars.

Spin Doctor
03-15-2003, 07:17 PM
Now that is an excelent idea. You sir get the attaboy for the week!

ShavingMaker
03-15-2003, 09:45 PM
We put in a new range hood this winter. Guess where my old one went... Yup, above the welding table!

Thrud
03-16-2003, 03:03 AM
x39:
Bad idea for Soldering unless you vent outside as the flux fumes are toxic (they give most people nasty headaches).

I use halogen lights so I can see what I am doing in my old age... http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//frown.gif

darryl
03-16-2003, 05:54 AM
Thanks for the reminder on ventilation. I solder quite often, have started to silver solder more often, and heat treat, using oil at times. I want to build a heat treat oven and will want to vent this, as well. It's time for the hood and fan, with outside vent, and fresh air intake through a heat exchanger, so I don't chill the place too much.

Paul Gauthier
03-16-2003, 07:25 AM
Give yourself a pat on the back, great idea.

------------------
Paul G.

x39
03-16-2003, 06:32 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Thrud:
x39:
Bad idea for Soldering unless you vent outside

</font>

Thrud, I more or less assumed that the outside venting was a given. Glad I could offer a helpful idea.

StephenK
03-16-2003, 07:44 PM
Thrud, that was an excellent point that you made. Years back I was doing some soldering and breathed in the fumes. It caused a bronchial spasm and I had a difficult time breathing. My wife ran down to my shop and quickly put my arms overhead which relaxed my throat and I was able to breath again. Incidentally, my wife is an occupational health nurse. Thanks to her we are still together and enjoying retirement.

charlie coghill
03-16-2003, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the idea. I was thing about a grill hood from a restrent, but a kitchen hood would work as good.

now I just have to find the right hood and now that you have suggested the idea the used hoods just went up in price. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif
Charlie

Thrud
03-16-2003, 10:12 PM
x39:
I just pointed that out because not all range hood vent outside but recirculate the air back into the room - these should not be used. I should have been more explicit, sorry. It is an excellent idea, in general.

One caution should be observed, that being exhasting flammable or explosive vapours such as hot oil without the installation of explosion proof electrics is extremely dangerous.

x39
03-16-2003, 10:39 PM
Thrud, no need to apologize, good point.

Techtchr
03-17-2003, 08:00 PM
We are currently setting up our old equipment in our new labs at school. Engineers didn't like the fact that the 30+ year old welding booths did not have motors that were explosion proof. We use one for welding and one for occasional spray painting.

Be aware that if you use your vent hood to exhaust to the outside(or inside), and you are venting volitile materials like paint or lacquer fumes, it can cause explosions without the proper type of fan motors. OK, so do I take the chance of dieing from the fumes, or the explosion? My money is on the explosion not happening in most home shops with the small amounts of chemicals we use, but if you do a lot of painting, or leave the acetylene on accidently, all bets are off.

X39, Hats off to your idea, its a good one. By the way my daughter showed me her"french polish" fingernails yesterday, and I asked if they were freedom nails...she didn't get it. guess you had to be there.

Matt

Dave Opincarne
03-18-2003, 12:22 AM
French Polished fingernail? With shellac, a tampon and rotten stone? Wow, I'm impressed

Cold Rolled
03-20-2003, 02:29 PM
In my old shop I made a Horizontal hood with out a fan. But instead used a venturi I also made styled off of a pneumatic vacuum. We had a huge compressor with lots of air volume. It took some tweaking to get noise down but it was cheap and no threat of explosion from the solvent I was using.