PDA

View Full Version : Tee slot on front of mill table??

DICKEYBIRD
12-17-2006, 08:10 PM
I just got my new Sieg X-3 cleaned up and running; vise dialed in; spindle & gears broken in, etc., etc. I just noticed this 5/16" tee-slot in the front edge of the table. Anybody know what it's supposed to be used for? I figure I can use it for something someday but I'm thinking it must there for some specific purpose that this noob doesn't know yet. Lamp mount maybe?

Somebody tell me the story so I can dope-slap myself. :)

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g227/DBAviation/X3Tableslot.jpg

TGTool
12-17-2006, 08:25 PM
****eybird,

Table Stops. See if there isn't a little tab screwed to the casting above the Y-axis handwheel and overhanging the T-slot. If you're milling a feature where you want to repetitively stop at the same X position (like whittling out a pocket) you can slide stops down from both directions and lock them in position to save squinting and worrying as you move to the ends of the slot.

A.K. Boomer
12-17-2006, 08:48 PM
That and it keeps your table from falling off!, its also the place to put the auto-stop switch for your power feed so it knows when to stop (or else you will Jam your leads --- or your table will fall off!);)

wierdscience
12-17-2006, 08:51 PM
It can also be used for setups,you know things like location stops,gauges etc.

DICKEYBIRD
12-17-2006, 08:56 PM
Ahhh-So! That makes a lot of sense. Thanks fellers, I love this place! :)

SGW
12-17-2006, 10:13 PM
I think it's intended for table stops (that was the original function of the one on my milling machine) but I eventually used it to attach an X-axis DRO scale.

RAD1
12-17-2006, 10:19 PM
It can be used for fixtures or mounting parts that are too awkward to do otherwise. Generally the slot uses a different size T nut.

Wirecutter
12-18-2006, 09:53 AM
On my Bridgeport, the front T-slot was used to mount the old-fangled optical readout scale for the X axis. The Y axis was a totally different affair. I like it though, and I kept the t-nuts for it. When I installed the Newall DRO, I put it on the back of the table so I could still have the front slot, which I've (rarely) used for setups. It doesn't seem beefy enough for seriously holding parts, though.