PDA

View Full Version : I think E-bays getting scary--- EVVVVAAAANNN!

A.K. Boomer
12-17-2006, 09:42 PM
So anyways, i got the hots for this HTP invertig 201 tig welder, The specs are amazing - its all i can think about (almost) and My Mum sent me a christmas check so it could actually become a reality, (ya gotta luv yer Mum) so i tune into e-bay five different times last night and im checking out all kinds of tigs, punched in HTP multiple times and only this one came up, this morning i get on and do it again, it comes up along with another, these are all regular looking e-bay adds with pictures and everything - it all looks legit, anywho -- this new add isnt new, in fact it says theres only hours left to bid, Why in the hell didnt i see it last night then,,, then within the add there is a statement --- contact before bidding on lowest "buy it now price anywhere" so i e-mail the e-mail and ask a question (by the way this guy has sold in the hundreds and his good rep was well into the 99. something)
So i log on a few hours after a friend comes over for awhile, here's what i find in my mailbox;

First I want to tell you that my items is brand new, unopened box
all accessories included and also an international warranty.
The invoice will come at the same time with the package.
My price is the best you could get: 800$/unit, including the
shipping and insurance taxes. We will pay them because the package
will be delivered from Europe.I have 5 units avalaible.
As delivery service we use UPS 2 days air service or overnight (with insurance and
15 days return policy), because it's the faster also free. And if you will have
a quick payment, we must also have a quick delivery. So that's why we use as a payment method Western Union money transfer,
the fastest and also very secure way of sending money.
So, if you agree with my terms I'm sure that we can close the deal as soon as possible.
Waiting your quick answer right now.

One --- this price is crazy low, two he doesnt want to go through e-bay, and his payment method would be out of e-bay or pay-pal too,,, What really puzzled me was I go back to e-bay to check his add over and its vanished -- gone without a trace --- Is this how things are going now? I had no idea they were infilterating e-bay adds themselves, is this whats happening? if so be the hell carefull out there guys, so later tonight i find this weird looking thing added to my desk top --- it wont open, its some kind of a box with one of these ~ and two dots above it to make it kind of look like a face, It was kinda scary lookin, I scanned it with my virus and spyware and stuff but it checked out Ok, so then i crapcanned it, --- Now i write all this stuff and realize im starting to sound like Rozzana Rozzana Danna, but I cant helpit chew no --- Itz feekin me ohuut...

CCWKen
12-17-2006, 09:58 PM
It's a scam and you will have no way to recoup your loss. If you have an itch to lose $800, just send it to me. :D

Report the seller to ebay. They don't take kindly to "fee avoidance". It could be that the acount has been hijacked. I'd report it anyway.

plastikosmd
12-17-2006, 10:33 PM
a high pressure seller using poor english, and seemingly bending over backwards to send you something that is 1/2 of what it really costs and only accepting payment via wire transfer. please dont fall for this. there are many of these "deals" that pop up on ebay for 1-2 days and are gone, it gets hard sometimes to sort out the real sellers from the fake ones. anyone that wants you to "contact prior to bidding" or whatever they put in their ad is usually a scam. the feedback issues...are more often then not..someone who has stolen a legit ebay account and now placed an ad there. just like credit card numbers..there is a market for someone who can crack a simple password then sell the info.
scott

A.K. Boomer
12-17-2006, 10:47 PM
That is just so crazy, I have recieved tons of bogus e-mails and stuff but have never encountered fraudulent seller adds, I thought they had to all be screened before they made it that far, believe me I knew they were a snake and sent a quick reply back to them that i was reporting them, its just a shame when you think of many of the trusting people out there (some elderly) that would think that because its in the e-bay sight itself it should be safe, they need to be most concerned with method of payment...

By the way --- i went to report this to e-bay and wrote up a big speeeeel about it -- go to send it in the appropriate place (fraudulent sellers) and it wont go through because they need and Item # ----- DUH, the add was there and it was gone, i dont have no stinking item #, i didnt bid on it -- i just asked the guy a stooooopid question, this is the part of the internet i hate:(

Evan
12-17-2006, 10:54 PM
Total scam. Ignore it. It will turn into an advance fee fraud.

His ad is gone because e-Bay noticed.

fishfrnzy
12-17-2006, 11:53 PM
AK, I think in one of your posts you said you live in Colo.

FYI there is a Hobart tig/stick ac/dc in Denver craigslist for Sat listing.

Probably not the square wave you are looking for but you could use for awhile and want to uprgrade later get your money out of it when you go to sell it. Make sure it ha high-freq start (and continous if you want to do alum.)

no affiliation to seller, but I have one similar to it and it has worked well for me.

CCWKen
12-17-2006, 11:54 PM
It's fairly easy to spot a fraud or hijacked account.
1. The seller will ask that you use an email contained in the listing rather than use the "contact seller" eBay links.
2. Poor English in the text. It's probably from translation utilities.
3. The seller requests Western Union wire transfer. (Ebay has been saying for years not to use WU.)

Ebay accounts get hijacked every day. It happens when some poor schlep clicks on link in an email and thinks they are logging into their eBay account. Sad, really sad.

Tinkerer
12-18-2006, 12:27 AM
That is just so crazy, I have recieved tons of bogus e-mails and stuff but have never encountered fraudulent seller adds, I thought they had to all be screened before they made it that far, believe me I knew they were a snake and sent a quick reply back to them that i was reporting them, its just a shame when you think of many of the trusting people out there (some elderly) that would think that because its in the e-bay sight itself it should be safe, they need to be most concerned with method of payment...

By the way --- i went to report this to e-bay and wrote up a big speeeeel about it -- go to send it in the appropriate place (fraudulent sellers) and it wont go through because they need and Item # ----- DUH, the add was there and it was gone, i dont have no stinking item #, i didnt bid on it -- i just asked the guy a stooooopid question, this is the part of the internet i hate:(
A.K. Boomer... Go into your History in your browser looked at the day you where there find ebay and look for entry HTP. You'll be able to bring up the item number with a mouse over. Hope this helps ya. ;)

SJorgensen
12-18-2006, 01:45 AM
What was the number of the ad? What was the seller's name? When was the auction started? What was the title? What was the seller's rating?

Was the address in the title bar ebay.com?

Evan
12-18-2006, 02:19 AM
Assuming normal settings that information can be recovered from the browser cache, if you know how. It depends on the browser used, the size of the cache and the amount of surfing that has been done since.

It also might be possible to find it on Google if it is still cached. You would need to load it from Google's cache instead of a direct link.

Evan
12-18-2006, 02:34 AM
BTW

As delivery service we use UPS 2 days air service or overnight (with insurance and
15 days return policy), because it's the faster also free.
This is gibberish. First, it doesn't make sense. Second, the last time my wife air freighted in a welder from Germany it was $1500 for a 400 pound unit. The HTP weighs 68 lbs and that would cost about $400 for 2 day shipping which isn't available right now because of the Christmas rush. Overnight is impossible. There is a 9 hour time difference and it's a 7 to 9 hour flight depending where it goes. That doesn't count any other time for pickup, customs and delivery. Total bunk.

[added]

You said in another thread you have an old crap computer. There is a bug in Outlook Express that places an icon on the desktop every time OE is used. It is a null icon with a ~ (tilde) as the name. It does nothing when clicked on, it isn't a sign of a virus and you can't make it stop although you can delete it. It will be back the next time you use OE. Don't worry about it.

Evan
12-18-2006, 03:18 AM
Ok, a little detective work with the Google cache.

I find these listings in the cached ebay canada pages.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/scam1.jpg

If you try and look at them you get this:

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/scam2.jpg

I then find these listings cached by Google for ebay UK

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/scam3.jpg

They lead to this:

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/scam4.jpg

AHA. A user name. Biker_42

However, this user name no longer has anything for sale on eBay. Also, Biker_42 has 14 positive feedbacks in the last year but no feedback in the last month. Also, the english used on this closed auction is perfect:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HTP-Invertig-201-200-Amp-ACDC-Inverter-Tig-Welder_W0QQitemZ180064499021QQihZ008QQcategoryZ113 743QQcmdZViewItem

Conclusion is that Biker_42 had his account hijacked.

SJorgensen
12-18-2006, 04:34 AM
Now this ad is running under a one-day listing under the name SPU4.

Good work Evan!

Spence

Wirecutter
12-18-2006, 09:49 AM
AK, et al -

Two things jump right out at me. One, that he mailed you to "put the pressure on", and two (and this is the big one) he wanted you to wire the money. Pure [bovine excrement].

The positive feedback can be explained in various ways, but the easiest is that the scammer "phished" and hijacked a legit eBayer's account.

My favorite stories are of those who manage to scam the scammer. It's not easy or effortless, but it's soooo sweet.

-Mark

madman
12-18-2006, 10:22 AM
E Bay sucks ive always said that. its days are numbered. I prefer to just go to a store look at a welder try to talk the guy down and shop around. There is a new welder coming out from lincoln in January 2007 after much shopping i will finally purchase one. From a real Human Someone you could grab hold of and give a good clout if youre up for it.

A.K. Boomer
12-18-2006, 10:53 AM
My favorite stories are of those who manage to scam the scammer. It's not easy or effortless, but it's soooo sweet.

-Mark

That would be the iceing of the cake! Iv been hounded by e-mails and had false pay pal and e-bay sites thrown at me but I really did not realize that these guys are actually hijacking somebody elses add, This really makes me upset and changes my view on just how bad the corruption is, if they can do that that means that they can also use my Good buyer rep. and run it into the ground, e-bay needs to get a better handle on things IMO,
Evan, thanks for the detective work, its proof in the pudding --- there was another guy from another add (a different seller)who e-mailed me back and gave me a more believable price and said that if im interested to let him know and he'd initiate the sale THROUGH E-bay and pay-pal, he sounded much more legit but i think its important to know that that can be a ploy and as comunication persists things can change so one cannot waver... Thanks also for telling me what that squiggly face was about --- its nice to know it wasnt some kind of spyware, Ever wonder what the world would be like if everybody was honest? its almost a thought thats unimaginable, thats sad...

Magic9r
12-18-2006, 04:03 PM
Occam's Razor,
Caveat Emptor,
any bells ringing?
Nick

A.K. Boomer
12-18-2006, 05:54 PM
I cant say as i ever have any bells ringing but i get a constant non-stop buzzing sound and it drives me insane...

andy_b
12-18-2006, 11:56 PM
i thought it was just me hitting them. just tonight i found about ten of these ads, and they were in a wide variety of searches (nothing machinery related in fact). ebay was also acting up all day. my guess is their system is getting hit hard by scammers. it's close to Christmas so folks will be taking more risks than usual to spread that holiday commercialization cheer. yup, ebay is probably starting to get a bit too big for its britches.

andy b.

davidfe
12-19-2006, 08:23 PM
Jeff Noland is the president / owner of HTP America.

Great guy to deal with. 1-800-usaweld.

I have an HTP mig almost 20 years old and next to no problems.

Fast honest service.

http://www.htpweld.com/ is the internet site. Saw two bogus HTP sales on ebay.

Call them, they will help you.

DFE