PDA

View Full Version : OT Electric chopper

loose nut
12-18-2006, 11:45 AM
I thought this might intrest some of you.
Several years ago one of the men in the shop lost part of his leg to cancer. He came back to work with an artifical leg but walking on it all day became very painful so the company bought him one of those little yellow electric carts that warehouse people use to get around on. After a few years work the cart went to the garage for some well needed maintenence and the man jokingly asked if he could have it chopped. Well it couldn't, so the guys at work got together and built this cart for him instead. The wheels, seat, tank and electric motor were "aquired" and everything else was fabricated at work.
It has two speed "TOO FAST" and "HOLY(insert apropriate word here)!!!!!" We paced it at 35 MPH and still acelerating no one has had the nerve to go any faster. That may not seem very fast but when your butts only a foot or so off the ground, it is.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q153/loosenut_bucket/CMSScotters025.jpg

Evan
12-18-2006, 12:32 PM
I must ask what the company name is. It sounds like a good place to work. I bet they don't have much turnover.

madman
12-18-2006, 01:14 PM
Need a New Employee?

Mad Scientist
12-18-2006, 01:28 PM
NICE! Would like to have been there at the “unveiling ceremony” to see the reaction. :) :)

Guido
12-18-2006, 01:35 PM
Gold stars to the employer---------for helping and providing

Gold stars to the employees----------for 'walking a mile in this guy's shoes'

and, Five Gold Stars to the handicapped employee----------for being the kind of person who others feel good about, and want to help.

G

Mcgyver
12-18-2006, 02:03 PM
very nice story LN, its good to hear some positive workplace stuff. share the org's name - the good one's deserve the mention imo

Carld
12-18-2006, 02:13 PM
I bet you could hear the scream for blocks when he punched that thing and took off down the shop aisle and had to make the turn at the end:eek: . :D

charlie coghill
12-18-2006, 07:48 PM
Heck I want one of those. Fun around the yard until you crashed.

wierdscience
12-18-2006, 08:14 PM
Cool,looks better than half the stuff on cable.

SJorgensen
12-19-2006, 02:14 AM
I've got it on my list to build an electric vehicle out of something like an old golf cart or something. That looks like fun. It would be cool to have something with 4 wheel drive and lots of suspension travel and articulation.

loose nut
12-19-2006, 09:42 AM
well, I won't mention the company name I don't now if they would like that but it is a good company to work for. They didn't now that it was being built but when "it" did show up the management didn't get all bent out of shape like some would. They did request that it be remove from the work site because it's bloody dangerous and how would you explain an injury on it to workmans comp. So it is now in a trailer park were our friend keeps his vacation trailer, and he has said that he uses it quite frequently. He is a big man 6'3" at least and if he leans back and hits the throttle wide open it will pop a wheely and take off on the back wheels, like I said it's danderous, but lots of fun. He still has the yellow electric cart at work.