PDA

View Full Version : B&S surface grinder question

Bill in Ky
12-18-2006, 01:00 PM
A friend of mine just bought a Brown and Sharp surface grinder at an auction.
He knows nothing about machine tools and asked me what its worth. I don't know anything about surface grinders so I am asking you folks.
I don't know a model number ( I assume there are several ) or the condition. All I know is that it came out of a manufacturing company that closed.
I know thats not much to go on but I would appreciate any help you can give.
Thanks,
Bill

BadDog
12-18-2006, 01:26 PM
I've been looking at these things (surface grinders) a bit lately. From what I've seen, it could be "worth" anything from some negative number (you gotta pay me to haul it off) up to several thousand. But without knowing condition, model, options, accessories, and even location, what is should sell for (what I think you are really looking for?) is impossible to guess.

DR
12-18-2006, 02:06 PM
There's quite a range on B&S's...

Micromasters are pricey.

On the other hand I've seen the really old mechanical feed-mechanism belt driven nightmares I wouldn't haul off for free.

lane
12-18-2006, 08:49 PM
One thing for shore Brown & Sharp is TOP of the line on any thing .Expecially the old stuff 1970 and early

andy_b
12-18-2006, 11:42 PM
A friend of mine just bought a Brown and Sharp surface grinder at an auction.
He knows nothing about machine tools and asked me what its worth. I don't know anything about surface grinders so I am asking you folks.
I don't know a model number ( I assume there are several ) or the condition. All I know is that it came out of a manufacturing company that closed.
I know thats not much to go on but I would appreciate any help you can give.
Thanks,
Bill

there should be a plate on it somewhere with the model number. unless it is REAL old, in which case it will be cast into something (like a main frame or a big door). honestly though, for the old B&S surface grinders it is easier to just post a photo to try and figure it out.

andy b.

Mcchin Jig & Fixture
01-31-2007, 11:50 PM
Like buyig a used car, buying a used machine at auction implies a myriad of variable. B&S, I think, stopped making grinders in the late 1980's or so. I think they were producing machines way before the Civil War, thus the model that your friend has could be ANYTHING in between. Like anything, HOW the machine was used and maintained is of paramount importance. Was it used in a training situation, like a school, or was it used by, on the other hand, by a seasoned tool & die maker with finesse as befitting any precision instrument, etc. The options on the machine, e.g. wet/ or dry machine, digital read-outs, multi-axis auto feeds, "Diaform optical grinding attachment, and of course, what is the machine size. What kind of material was ground on the machine can be a big factor also. Was the machine for finish grinding, or roughing? As others have said in their replies, B&S grinders are some of the best. Personally, I have equipped our shop with Swiss and German grinders and jig borers, which is my own bias.