PDA

View Full Version : SouthBend 9 and 5C colletts

Your Old Dog
12-19-2006, 03:37 PM
didn't want to hijack another thread.........

I have a SB9, WeirdScience talks about using 5C colletts on his SB9 for years. What do I have to do to do the same?

I just bought a spin index and complete set of colletts by 1/32" to move in that direction.

Do I need a special chuck and what's it called. I saw no such animal at the Enco site.

thanks,

wschoenbeck
12-19-2006, 03:47 PM
YOD Look here http://www.statecollegecentral.com/metallathe/MLA21.html for a 5C collet chuck. I think it retains the "thru the spindle" feature of the collets.

For what it's worth I made a draw bar so I can use the MT2 collets from my Clausing 8520 mill on my SB9 with the MT3 to MT2 reducing sleeve. Can't do thru the spindle but I can hold short pieces and runout is less than 0.0005. Works for me and I had all the bits except the drawbar.

MadReferee
12-19-2006, 04:22 PM
You can buy a Bison 5C collet chuck with an adapter plate for the SouthBend 9 lathe from these people:

http://www.brassandtool.com/Chucks-Collet.html

I bought the 5" Set-Tru model with the 1.5"-8 backer plate and I'am a satisfied customer.

Tin Falcon
12-19-2006, 05:27 PM
Y O D :
The fine gentleman at MLA designed the collet chuck kit based on a design by Pat Loop and printed in "Projects in Metal magazine " By villiage press in the late 80s(88 ,89) This project was done with Mr loops blessings and his name is on the kit and casting. The plans are available in metalworking book one also published by Villiage press our fine sponsor.
MLAs kits apear to be top notch and the owner is a pleasure to talk with and very helpfull. The proto- type is an exclent example of fine craftmanship. The advantage of making your own is that the chuck is machined insitu so accuracy is pretty much guaranteed.
Another option is to make screw on sleeve and draw bar type adaptor like the one designed by Philip Duclas. The plans for this are also in metalworking book one. Yes I have a copy of the books so can answer some questions on the designs. I have not made either one so am no expert.
None of these realy relace a lathe designed for 5-C collets but do have advantages over no collets of only 3C.
Regards
Tin