PDA

View Full Version : Fellows gear shaper

garyphansen
12-19-2006, 09:17 PM
Does anyone here have a Fellows gear shaper and can explain how they work?

Spin Doctor
12-20-2006, 01:10 AM
I used to run one occasionally before I retired. I'll be unretiring soon. The internal or external blank is held on the table and the cutter is held in a vertical arbor that has an adjustable stroke for length and height above the table. The gearing for the machine depends on the number of teeth to be cut and the number of teeth on the cutter (external work rotates opposite of the cutter, internal both rotate the same way). As the cutter arbor moves up and down both it and the work table rotate in the proper timed realtionship to produce the tooth or spline form. In addition during the return stroke of the cutter the table backs off to allow the cutter to withdrawl with out dragging on the work (they rotate continously). There are setting that allow for more or less strokes per complete rotation of the work table. There also mechanical devices to set the automatic infeed to depth and stops to shut off the machine when a cycle is completed

Errol Groff
12-20-2006, 07:07 PM
Thank you Spin Doctor for refreshing my memory of running gear shapers. I ran them for about six months when I was an apprentice but that was forty years ago and the details are long gone from memory.

I have a shaper cutter and have put a couple of pictures of it here:

http://neme-s.org/Temp_Files/fellows_gear_shaper_cutter.htm

I didn't want to putz around with photobucket but probably spent the same amount of time doing it this way. Oh well.

I took a tour of the Ford New Holland factory in PA some years back and spotted a fellow running a Gleason Gear Hobbing machine. I stopped to chat and told him that I had run a similar machine when I was an apprentice lad. He said that in 18 years that he had run that machine I was the only person ever to come by on a tour who knew what the heck he was doing.

At the Harley Davidson plant in Milwaukee WI I saw CNC gear hobbers. One fellow running a cell of four or five machines. He was kept constantly busy, either unloading or loading machines or setting up new jobs.

I visited the Fellows plant in Springfield VT some years ago. A classic old New England factory. Wooden block floors, so so lighting but beautiful workmanship. A real shame that they are gone.

Are you getting an idea of what one of my hobbies is? I love to visit anywhere where things are being made. A lot of photos of my plant visits are on the New England Model Engineering Society web page.

http://neme-s.org/

Don't know about anyone else but I am getting into Cabin Fever mood already.

Merry Christmas to All!!

Mcgyver
12-20-2006, 07:28 PM
A classic old New England factory. Wooden block floors, so so lighting but beautiful workmanship. A real shame that they are gone.

thanks for the stories Errol,

The caterpillar plant in Mississauga had wood block floors. they were hardwood, endgrain up like a butchers block, in square sections just sittinig (not attached) to the concrete underneath. they were mayb 4x4x4. This was a big, heavy plant, they had pits for machines you could put small houses into. I questioned the floor and it was explained that the underlying concrete floor, while obvioulsy capable of handling the loads, would be chewed to bits from the multi-ton fabrications constantly placed on the floor whereas localized replacement of the hardwood is easy. couldn't tell you if this is still done, or there are more modern approaches, but it was effective.

TGTool
12-20-2006, 11:52 PM
I saw the same thing in a Caterpillar engine plant newly built (25 years ago). The Cat plants I've been in more recently haven't had those I don't think. They do build some big stuff though. The company I worked for built and installed a hydraulic power supply a few years ago, that had five electric motors and hydraulic pumps that could be combined for flow if required. All together it was 1000HP. And you could almost sit up in one of the hydraulic cylinders they build there.