PDA

View Full Version : OT: Curious tools

Joel
12-21-2006, 01:45 AM
Here are a couple of tools that I stumbled across. I guess you can electrify anything. :)

An "automatic" Crescent wrench:
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-AAW100-8-Inch-Wrench/dp/B000EGM1ZM

And a battery powered C-clamp:
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-ACC100-AutoClamp-Battery/dp/B000IE0YJK

Willy
12-21-2006, 02:06 AM
What a complete waste of time,I guess they have guys sitting around that have to justify their existence by comming out with useless crap like this.I am really surprised that the bean counters can approve this sort of product going into production,but then again they probably have never held wrench in their hand before either.
Everytime I see this junk I try to get a mental image in my mind of some klutz with a lighted screwdriver or knife doing more harm than good.
Come to think of it...why hasn't anybody come out with a laser guided angle grinder yet?

awemawson
12-21-2006, 03:28 AM
Here are a couple of tools that I stumbled across. I guess you can electrify anything. :)

And a battery powered C-clamp:
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-ACC100-AutoClamp-Battery/dp/B000IE0YJK

Last Christmas I was given an 'automated' tape measure by Black & Decker by my brother in law. Motor and batteries extend the tape. It's utterly useless, far too bulky to actually use and the motor hasn't quite got the guts to fully extend the tape.

I reckon they must have 'ideas men' that are under threat of termination if they don't produce a certain number of 'innovations' in a year <G>

AWEM

Your Old Dog
12-21-2006, 06:30 AM
Last Christmas I was given an 'automated' tape measure by Black & Decker by my brother in law. Motor and batteries extend the tape. It's utterly useless, far too bulky to actually use and the motor hasn't quite got the guts to fully extend the tape.

What an awesome gag gift for that handyman on your list, you know, the know it all type!! Just have to give it with a straight face so they think you're serious! Kind of like giving someone a butt ugly oil painting for over their couch!!! It's the thought that counts!

EDITED TO ADD: I just was in Walmart and they reduced the electric clamps to $20.00 !! I was tempted to buy one just to take it apart to see how they did it!

john hobdeclipe
12-21-2006, 07:55 AM
That wrench is awsome, man! You don't even have to push it or pull it! It does it all itself. See what it says: "Professional heat-treated hardened steel provides 220 foot-pounds of torque."

Swarf&Sparks
12-21-2006, 08:16 AM
Hey! Does that mean you can use it in free-fall without any torque reaction?
Has NASA heard about this? :D
Newton will be spinning in his grave.

snowman
12-21-2006, 08:19 AM
The wrench was actually an invention from one of those fancy TV shows last year. The reason the guy invented it was for NASA IIRC. Wanted a crecent wrench that could be operated with one hand.

the electric tape measure sucks.

Mcgyver
12-21-2006, 08:48 AM
i agree with Willy. what crap and a waste of resources. a electric clamp, sheesh!

Evan
12-21-2006, 08:51 AM
My daughter gave me one of those tape measures too. It was a gag gift but it does have one outstanding characteristic. Since I never use it I always know where it is. It's also too big to lose.

Swarf&Sparks
12-21-2006, 08:52 AM
I could see the point in an electric clamp, if I could hold it in my mouth and operate it with my tongue, while holding the parts to be clamped in each hand.

Spin Doctor
12-21-2006, 09:05 AM
I can see instances in which the two B&D (Broken & Destroyed) tools mentioned could be useful. But they are fairly rare instances. Besides you just know that if you got out your super-dooper automatic C-Clamp for a job the battery would be flat anyways.

WJHartson
12-21-2006, 09:31 AM
They can't be that good because they don't take the place of eighty-six other tools and clean up the work area when the job is done or come with their own carrying case that will also hold your cell phone in a secret compartment.

Joe

madman
12-21-2006, 09:46 AM
Id like a Bushel basket full please. Thanx xmas cumming up u know. Finally gifts that once i give them to the people i hate they will never ever talk to me again or come to my home to eat free food and drink all my booze and other stuff. Mike PS Thanx for the great Tip .

PTSideshow
12-21-2006, 10:34 AM
I agree that they are truely pointless for the shop qualifed. I also agree with YOD, but for the weekend not so handy person that might only use them on a job or two. Thats the whole point for they creation and sale.:D Besides who nows what somebody will convert one of these to ?;)

hope nobody gives you guys any of them and have a safe and great holidays,Merry Christmass ect.

kendall
12-21-2006, 11:35 AM
I actualy see where the clamp could prove usefull, I install cabinets, and always install one, then clamp the succesive cabinets to that one so I ca mount them, it's always a pain to hold the cabinet and clamp it. Normally end up using a quick grip clamp to hold it, then grab my bessey to lock it in position.

The quick grips hold ok, and are quick and easy to use, but will let larger or heavier cabinets start slipping down.
You don't move something when a bessey has a hold of it, but they aren't all that easy to use one handed.

Wouldn't buy one, have my system down too well, and would mess me up.
But make me a one hand bessey and I'd buy one!

Ken.

andy_b
12-21-2006, 12:41 PM

$150!?!?!?!?!?! i guess if you have someone on your gift list without an opposable thumb it may be a good choice.

i don't need the automatic clamp as i already have one. it generates 30 tons of force though and is connected to a gasoline engine and also works as a log splitter.

andy b.

john hobdeclipe
12-21-2006, 03:39 PM
... Besides who nows what somebody will convert one of these to ?...
You may be on to something here...now I can't wait to see a cnc c-clamp.