PDA

View Full Version : The BIG CUTTER SAGA CONTINUES

madman
12-21-2006, 10:59 AM
Well got so many nice ideas for the big cutter. Thanx Evan and everyone else. I will post a picture if i ever get my camera to delete the older pictures(The membrane inside the switch is all broken and my cf cards full) The situation now is i have to drill like 4 inches and a bit deep to reach the hole for the trappaning tools im inserting. The previous individual instead of leaving the 3/8 square shank cutters square spun ground them round so now they will be tending to rotate when cutting through the wood. I thought 2 set screws and a flat on the cutter shank would fix it but how do i get a 3/8 or 5/16 tap in that far to tap the deep hole. ? I dont think pulley taps are that long. Anyhow gotta go out and finish the thing guys been phoning (last night 8.30 pm ) I reckon he wants his abortion of a cutter. Later Oh Merry Xmas Everyone Mike

greywynd
12-22-2006, 12:29 AM
Silver solder or weld (careful with the heat, too much will affect the heat treat of the steel) an extension to the tap. I've also seen 'extensions' that will fit taps (on the square) and have a set screw to lock it in.

Mark

Ian B
12-22-2006, 03:55 AM
To drive the tap, can you find a 12 point socket that will fit over the end? Then use a long extension bar and a tee handle.

Ian

mark61
12-22-2006, 11:10 AM
I have gotten away with just welding key stock onto the end of a tap with something like stainless steel arc welding rods. Also push a piece of pipe over the end of the tap and braze it on. Like has been said-the less heat on the tap the better!

mark61

Swarf&Sparks
12-22-2006, 03:51 PM
I second the above. Easier if you have access to TIG. Wrap a wet rag around the tap and move quickly :D

Your Old Dog
12-22-2006, 05:32 PM
If you had a 4" hole, could you drill it all in 5/16's then drill it once again only with a 3/8's down maybe 3/4's of the way and then send a 5/16's tap down the hole to tap whats left of the 5/16's hole? I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do so my answer may really look stupid :D :D If I had a 4" deep hole I wouldn't try to tap the entire hole.