X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BadDog
    • May 2006

Small ebay problem

Well, I should count myself lucky I guess. I just had my first very minor ebay problem.

I bought a set of 31 Hardinge Collets (round by 32nds) for $200, $219 with shipping. What can I say, I wanted a set of good collets, and this looked like the best deal on a nice set from a big seller with top notch feedback. I paid via paypal within an hour of close. Sent a message (AND in paypal notes) to contact me with tracking number. No response for several days. Sent messages via ebay and email, no response. Over a week later I tracked down phone number via Google and caught the guy on the phone. Lots of hem-haw but got the tracking number to find out it shows delivered that day. Go out and look around, there it is in the FREAKING BUSHES! I hate UPS. But that's another story...

I sent him a message indicating it was here, and about the coincidence as well as the "it's a good thing I got the tracking number before the watering system cut on" part. Turns out to be very well packed, each collet individually wrapped in news paper.
    Some have crusty's inside (but not on the clamping face), some with face grooves, but nothing you wouldn't expect with a relatively nice used set of collets; until I got to the 27/32 collet. On this one the keyway looks like someone held it in one hand with an angle grinder in the other and went to town on the keyway. It's been extended and deepened, and not even straight or uniform. There is NO WAY he missed this while individually wrapping! But it’s not a primary collet, so no bid deal. But still, I didn’t buy “30 good collets plus one junk place holder”.

So I sent ebay messages, emails, and left phone messages since last week when I found it. Started off very friendly, but got progressively more stern. Frankly, if he had responded right off the bat with an apology, I could even have been persuaded to let it go since it is one that I would rarely, if ever, use. BUT, no responses on any front, pretty much what I expected. Kept calling at random times during the day, hoping he would pick up, no luck. Must have been using Caller ID. Last night I was in a bad mood and sent a nasty message via ebay stating that I was sending via ebay for additional proof of attempted resolution AND warning of pending negative feedback. Basically, creating a “paper trail” documenting his lack of response. Funny thing, I called again this morning and he answered. Coincidence he says. Hmm...

So, he admits to having gotten all my messages, no excuse as to why he didn’t respond other than “too busy”. Now his response is to sent it ALL back, on my expense of course, and he’ll issue a refund. I say I’ll gladly send the damaged one back, and questioned the sense of sending all back over one bad collet, he basically says, “That’s how it’s going to be.” Obviously a ploy to get me to let it go. I told him, “Fine then, but I want all shipping refunded.” He says, “I’ll decide that when I evaluate the collets”. Yeah, right...

Of course, I figure he’ll stone wall me like he has so far, and I may never get anything back without a battle. Could probably get the $200 back via PayPal or Visa (paypal backing), maybe even the $19 shipping to me, but I’ll almost certainly have to eat the shipping returning to him in any case. And a NEW collet is about the same.

So now what? At this point I think I’ll leave a negative and deal with the typical retaliatory negative. Or maybe I should just forget it? But he has pretty good feedback, and frankly, I wish I had seen someone leave a negative like this before I bought! I would have paid more for another auction to avoid the aggravation alone. Makes me sorta feel an obligation to leave the negative. Then again, is it worth getting one myself (even if contested)? Should I just let it go with no feedback? Or a neutral? Frankly, I would be satisfied with a neutral (since it’s not all that bad a “burn”) if I could only explain the lack of response and attitude. But 80 characters doesn’t let you say much of anything.

So, I'm pretty pissed at his attitude and ignoring my messages as well as refusing to deal with the problem, but am I being a cry baby? Or is this worth hassling with games required to give a negative?
    Russ
    Master Floor Sweeper
  • JCHannum
    • Nov 2001

Maybe leave a negative feedback, definitely a neutral. The fact that the collets were not all as described, and the poor communications should be cited.

If an item is not as represented, in my opinion, the seller should eat the shipping both ways, and many do. Check his ads to see if it is mentioned in them.

Let him know of your intentions before leaving feedback, give him a deadline to respond. If he negs you, you can respond and site his feedback.

Keep your feedback short and factual, that leaves less room to refute it. Something like; "Merchandise not as described. Very poor communications."
    Jim H.

Comment

• RPease
      • Dec 2001

If that's your biggest problem with an Ebay seller, I'd consider it a blessing.

Dealing with the guys "attitude" is something only you can decide on. Personally, I'd just make sure I didn't buy from him again.

Doesn't sound like it is serious enough to make you raise your bloodpressure. You said that it is a collet that you'd hardly ever use.

My $ 0.02 worth........and probably worth less than that......LOL

Regards..........Rodg
      RPease

Comment

• BobWarfield
        • Nov 2005

This is pretty typical eBay. Personally, I wouldn't leave a negative as he will retaliate and will feel justified retaliating.

eBay is a flea market where you don't get to see what you're buying. My policy is not to buy unless the deal is so good that even if the merchandise were a little off like yours was it would be okay. I know it is annoying to deal with this stuff, but realistically, what would you have paid to get everything but the bad collet?

Best,

BW
        ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
        Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
        http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

• bhjones
          • Jan 2006

If I were in your place, I'd check the collets for runout. If they're all where they should be, I'd figure the cost of a new set and compare that number to the amount I paid for the used set. Then I'd be really happy at the great deal I got and start searching ebay for a collet to replace the damaged one.
          Brett Jones...

Comment

• Carld
            • Aug 2006

Keep the collets, you wanted them anyway and give him very bad feedback.

Get his address and personally deliver the bad collet and invite him outside.

I don't know what they are worth but one bad out of 31, just forget it.
            It's only ink and paper

Comment

• 302suawdust
              • Mar 2005

It seems to me that the relationship is not easily recoverable at this point as probably both of you are digging in your heals. Sadly most of these things start out very innocently with no one intending to do wrong towards the other. Then little by little it just escalates to the point were it is out of hand. Because the guy, as you said, has lots of good feedback I would assume that he had no intention of ripping you off. You (typical of machinist type people) have a keen eye for detail unlike the seller and noticed the problem right off. I think you both probably got off on the wrong foot over the shipping which is to bad as it sounds like the real screw up was the shipping company. From there things just went down hill. My advice (which is worth less than the pixels it is written on) would be to be the bigger man and apologize (I know you did nothing wrong but remember ends to the means) for coming on a little strong. Then suggest that you got a discount that was equal to ½ of the shipping cost to make up for the one damaged collet. The rational being that if you returned the part both you and him would be out the cost of shipping one way. Why not agree to meet in the middle. If this does not work I would take comfort in that I tried to do the right thing and walk away.

FWIW you can look me up……. 302suawdust on Ebay. I am no power seller but have sold hundreds of items on Ebay. From time to time there are problems but I find that in 99.8% (my Feedback) of the time they can be resolved.
              Where did I put that #$%$&!*#& Pencil

Comment

• Alistair Hosie
                • Aug 2002

B Dog you are right to be annoyed but dont let this guys bad manners allow you to be consumed with anger! Tomorrow you will look again and realise this is still a good enough deal, and in a few days be pleased with it in my honest opinion. I would drop comunication with this idiot you will only become less and less happy stop now and enjoy your purchase the seller has not the ability to deal correctly why punish yourself further I hope in a few days you put it down to experience and enjoy Have a nice Christmas from me and my family in the meantime God Bless Alistair
                Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

• Your Old Dog
                  • Dec 2004

Big Oak tree and short piece of rope, yep, I'd start looking for both

Actually I would defer my anger if I were you until the first time I needed a 27/32'd collett and then I'd get my pound of flesh. You might spend a lifetime and never actualy "need" that collett. If he said they were in new condition that might be a differant story but you are buying used gear. 1 out of 30 ain't bad, count yourself lucky. You should see the crap I bought, 8 R8 colletts thinking they were a set! I got a mistmatch of just about everything, got two 5/16 colletts !!. Just ordered another set from Enco earlier in the week and wrote of the others as my not being specific enough in my ebay purchase. My advise, let it go and post nothing on the feedback. If he slams you they you can play our card.
                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                  Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

• matador
                    • Jul 2003

flea-bay

Dealing with someone through the internet will always be a risk.
                    I'm with Alistair.Let it go and don't deal with this clown again.
                    I do a bit of trading on a local version of e-bay,and in a couple of hundred trades have only had one bad one.I Didn't give negative feedback,because he would have done the same,and I felt it wasn't worth destroying my 100% positive feedback rate.
                    If you're happy with the rest of the collets,bin the rotten one and buy a new one to fill the empty space in the rack.You'll still be ahead on price,so you'll have done a good deal.
                    Merry Christmas to one and all.
                    Hans

Comment

• speedy
                      • Jul 2004

Life is too short

Some things are not worth the agro BadDog. If it isn`t a biggy, put it in the "later" folder and forget it.
                      Well, it mostly stops me getting too septic
                      I like to believe that you get back what you give.

Merry Christmas
                      Ken.

Comment

• Evan
                        • May 2003

Dang. I don't do e-Bay but if I did I wouldn't hesitate to give the appropriate feed back in a transaction. It seems that the fear of negative feedback has grown to the point where it is a useless tool anyway. I have never heard of a merchant, online or brick and mortar, that has 100% customer satisfaction. It isn't going to happen. I come close in my business but you cannot keep everybody happy all of the time. There are people out there that would complain if you gave them $1000 and it wasn't all new bills.
                        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• madman
                          • Sep 2004

Ebay Royally Sucks

So Do A Lot Of People On It.

Comment

• jkilroy
                            • Oct 2001

If thats the worst you have delt with, consider yourself blessed

If I purchased 30 collets and only one was bad I'd be thrilled. I have been taken a lot worse than that.
                            James Kilroy

Comment

• speedy
                              • Jul 2004

From his version of events, I get the impression that BadDog is more pissed at being disregarded and the lack of courtesy shown by the vendor.
                              An entirely reasonable reaction.
                              Ken.

Comment

Working...
                              X