PDA

View Full Version : Milling on a Lathe (edge finding)??

dan s
12-22-2006, 10:11 PM
Itís time for me to ask yet another newbie question. I found out by accident that I will be getting a milling attachment for my lathe. The significant other had it delivered to the house, and yesterday I got home before her.:D Whatís the best method to find the edge of stock while using a lathe? Can an edge finder be used?

mochinist
12-22-2006, 10:24 PM
Itís time for me to ask yet another newbie question. I found out by accident that I will be getting a milling attachment for my lathe. The significant other had it delivered to the house, and yesterday I got home before her.:D Whatís the best method to find the edge of stock while using a lathe? Can an edge finder be used?Never used a milling attachment on the lathe, but I dont see why you couldnt use an edge finder or any of the other standard ways to find an edge or find the center of a hole.

dan s
12-22-2006, 10:34 PM
I donít have own one yet, so this is just speculation, but I was thinking gravity could cause a problem because of being mounted horizontally.

Carld
12-22-2006, 10:53 PM
Yes, you can use an edge finder. Or a piece of tool steel rod in the chuck and a piece of cigarette paper between the work and the rod. When the rod touches the part the paper will be pulled from your fingers. Then you have a clearance very close to the thickness of the paper. It takes a gentle touch with ether one and a very true chuck or collet.

DancingBear
12-22-2006, 11:02 PM
When I was using a milling attachment all I had for edgefinding was a wiggler, it worked ok. When the point jumped there was a definite gravitational effect on the ensuing path of the point, as I recall. But it found the edge with as much accuracy as I needed at the time (which wasn't a lot :rolleyes: ).

Walt

J Tiers
12-23-2006, 12:34 AM
I normally just used the cutter and a piece of thin paper like cigarette paper. Direct measurement that way, no fuss with diameters.

Milling on the lathe with non-Brit equipment is generally annoyingly inaccurate anyway, due to deflection, bounce, etc. So the above works fine.

British lathes , esp Myford, are expected to do milling (since they are so expensive you would be lucky to afford cutters, let alone a mill after paying for the lathe), and apparently do it well. At least many have "real" milling tables, instead of the bouncy, long-levered, and somewhat clumsy milling attachments.

m_kilde
12-23-2006, 07:18 AM
Hi Dan

For the last projects of mine I simply used a round piece of rod in the chuck, with a known diameter and a small flashlight

Looking at the light escaping between the rod and the workpiece will make it possible the locate the edge witin 0,01 mm of less, I have been told that when the light turns into blue only a 1/1000 of a mm. is missing, I believe it got something to do with the wavelenght of the different clours in white light

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v127/m_kilde/Foto096.jpg