PDA

View Full Version : Beverly B3 Capacity?

gundog
12-23-2006, 07:37 PM
Could I cut 4 or 5" bar stock 3/16" thick with a Beverly B3 shear?
GD

Randolph
12-23-2006, 07:55 PM
The rated capacity of a number 3 Beverly is 3/16" mild steel. I routinely cut 3/16" with mine. You have to have it bolted to a solid surface to do this.

gundog
12-23-2006, 08:02 PM
How long a cut can it make?

gundog
12-23-2006, 08:56 PM
I was going to bid on this one but it went for more than I was willing to pay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=017&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=270069869834&rd=1&rd=1

I know of a local one without the new paint I can pick up for less.

What I want to be able to do with it is cut mild steel flat stock either 1/8" or 3/16" 4" or 5" length of cut from a 10' or 20' length. I just want to make sure I can do this before buying one. I will be making a heavy duty stand bolted to the floor to hold it or a very wide base made of plate. I am thinking of making a swivel mount for the stand much like the way a wood chop saw works so you could swivel the cutter back and forth for different angle cuts using a fence. I want to be able to shear a bunch of small parts from a longer length of material. Each piece will be at a slight angle 5" wide at the top by 3" wide at the narrow end out of 4" or 5" stock so I don't want to bend or distort the remaining material as I cut. I hope I have explained this well enough. I just don't want to blow $600 + on something that wont do what I want it to do.

Here is a drawing of my intended cuts.

Thanks Mike

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/millnut/Barstockcutpattern.jpg

Doc Nickel
12-23-2006, 09:06 PM
The Beverly shears will distort the cut-off piece. It wants to "curl" as it's cut. It's most pronounced, of course, on thin material, but definitely present on the thick material as well.

Doc.

JRouche
12-23-2006, 10:52 PM
The throatless shear will curl it.

A plasma cutter will make this short work.

I have a half inch unit that would will cut the 3/16" thick by 5" inch long cut in about three seconds for mild steel.

The faster you move the less the heat affected zone, and less slag. JRouche