PDA

View Full Version : aphorism

hochongs
12-24-2006, 04:55 AM
Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.

IOWOLF
12-24-2006, 09:01 AM
Hellofa topic starter there Bud,How profound.

Did it take you long to think that up? :)

SGW
12-24-2006, 09:45 AM
I think that was by Will Rogers.

Evan
12-24-2006, 10:42 AM

I don't know what you are talking about.

Alistair Hosie
12-24-2006, 10:47 AM
I don't know what our Evan is talking about aphorism is the study of monkeys :DAlistair

FatWheels
12-24-2006, 11:11 AM
I know all about monkeys, see I study them in my apiary, it's the bee's knees for that sort of thing!

Merry Christmas and God bless us every one!

Alistair Hosie
12-24-2006, 12:29 PM
Affen is german for apes monkeys etc Alistair

Evan
12-24-2006, 01:20 PM
And I thought you meant ape whorism.

Your Old Dog
12-24-2006, 02:04 PM
I'm out of here if I gotta go buy a dictionary!

Your Old Dog
12-24-2006, 02:08 PM
Affen is german for apes monkeys etc Alistair

So is this guy speaking German or is he speaking Swahili ? In Swahili it means "well hung wonderous person who walks with big stick and quiet nature" I hope I'm not stateing the obvious here and everyone already knows all this. :D

Evan
12-24-2006, 02:23 PM
On the subject of aphorisms, one of my favorites is this "exchange".

GOD IS DEAD
Signed, Nietzsche

NIETZSCHE IS DEAD
Signed, God

DirtDobber
12-24-2006, 04:16 PM
Calvin: Do you believe in the devil? You know, a supreme evil being dedicated to the temptation, corruption, and destruction of man?

Hobbes: I'm not sure that man needs the help.

Alistair Hosie
12-24-2006, 05:01 PM
Proud to know you yodog well hung eh just like a good fillet steak Alistair der grosse Schotter mit der kleine schottenrock.

dewat
12-25-2006, 02:34 AM

Who you calling ignorant, boy!!!! LOL

Way back when, my union sent me to the contractor for the Nevada Test Site ( nuke testing ) EGG or Reynolds, real anal people, while talking to one of the security people I used the word ignorant correctly and he blew up "We don't call people ignorant around here" after I stopped laughing I explained that it meant to not know, to not have knowledge. After I got home someone from the union called, "you know ignorant is a strong word" I'm still laughing about it, these are the people who run things ? LOL :p :p :p

Ernest Kerr
12-25-2006, 07:49 AM

This may qualify as an axiom.

Your Old Dog
12-25-2006, 08:13 AM
Proud to know you yodog well hung eh just like a good fillet steak Alistair der grosse Schotter mit der kleine schottenrock.

Alistair, only when I've become adequate in my own language will I attempt learning another one! It won't likely happen in this lifetime!! :D

Tin Falcon
12-25-2006, 09:08 AM
Aphorism (from the Greek αφοριζειν, to define), literally a distinction or a definition, is a term used to describe a principle expressed tersely in a few telling words or any general truth conveyed in a short and pithy sentence, in such a way that when once heard it is unlikely to pass from memory.
Gee arent many Aphorisms in latin?
like: E pluribus unum - From many, one (motto of the USA)
Caveat emptor - Let the buyer beware. (He buys at his own risk)
Compos mentis - Of sound mind (and judgement)
So that would mean an Aphorism is a greek word to decribe a latin phrase?? Hmmm
Reards Tin