PDA

View Full Version : Boyar Shultz Surface Grinder Information

BadDog
12-24-2006, 09:25 PM
I just got a 6x12 Boyar Shultz surface grinder. Seems mostly there, but was broken down to 4 main pieces for cleaning/shipping/storage/whatever. It seems in good condition and mostly complete. The only thing I've identified so far as missing is the cabinet (known at sale) and the front guard plate on the wheel. It also has none of the spanners or other dedicated tools.

I just did the car wash degrease today, followed by a few hours of "hit the high spots" detail cleaning (scraping out the oil grooves, clearing drain holes, etc.) and oiled the machined surfaces. I can still see the scraping (some very clear, other parts just ghosted) on most ever inch of them, so I take that as a good sign. I doubt I'll paint it, but I am going to finish the tear down and go through everything, especially since the high pressure soap and water undoubtedly drove into the deepest recesses. Spindle seems a little noisy with hand turning, but I hope it is salvageable, we'll see when I get under power.

But what I would really like to have is a PDF or something with information on the BSSG. User manual would be good at a minimum, but a service manual or the like would be even better. Any ideas or links?

Also, any links to pics/projects/restorations/whatever of the 6x12 BSSG in particular, or any other similar SG would be much appreciated. I’ve rooted out a few basic pics using google, but any and all info is appreciated.

And finally, if anyone sees someone parting out a 6x12 BSSG, please pass along the info. I would be very surprised if I don’t have to track down at least a few items. And I already know I need that front plate on the wheel shield at the least. Probably also will want another wheel hub, maybe a spanner to fit, and a vacume adapter ejection shield (this one is just a wall). Some I'll likely build my own, but you never know.

Oh, and Merry Christmas to all my fellow junkies!

moldmonkey
12-24-2006, 09:46 PM
Did you see this on the PM board?

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/21/82.html

BadDog
12-24-2006, 10:32 PM
Humph, searched the whole board for "Boyar Shultz" and didn't see that. Man, that board is SLOW searching. Thanks...

BadDog
12-24-2006, 10:51 PM
Hmm, one of the posts I was just reading mentions difficulties in realigning things if the tower or spindle is dismantled. I recieved this one dismantled, how difficult is it to realign and what is required?

BadDog
12-25-2006, 02:45 AM
BTW, what is the difference in the Challenger and the Delux?

Virgil Johnson
12-25-2006, 08:17 AM
BTW, what is the difference in the Challenger and the Delux?
About 300$ on the used market. Merry Christmas.

rockrat
12-25-2006, 11:15 AM
IIRC - The downfeed handle for this machine is on the tower. Except for the lubrication, the tower can be removed and then re-assembeled. As for the realignment, you want to get the wheel as close to parallel with the travel of the bed as possible. Next, place the magnetic chuck on the bed and square it up. Then you can grind the back stop of the chuck in.

Where you want to be most careful is with the spindle and bearings. There have been more than a few threads here covering this. The motors on those machines are balanced more than other motors. Try hard to keep all of that together and working. Replacement can be a bit of work not to mention what it will do to your bank account.

Good luck and post photos of your work.

rock-

cmiller231
12-25-2006, 05:31 PM
I would try to tram spindle sq. to the guiding ways, much likre you would tram a Bridgeport.I would do this using the best angle plate that you can beg borrow or steal chris.