PDA

View Full Version : sine bar rifling machine

RJM
12-26-2006, 04:32 PM
There are some interesting pictures of a sine bar rifler built by Eric Perkins (Perk in Cincinnati) in the dropbox. I searched the archives, but couldn't find any info on the pictures.

Anyone have any info on this rifling machine?
Regards, Ron

JCHannum
12-26-2006, 05:00 PM
It was not on this site, but he did a pretty good write up on the PM Gunsmithing forum;

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/16/631.html#000000

RJM
12-26-2006, 05:42 PM
You've pointed out a new (to me) forum. Thanks.
Regards, Ron

eperkins
12-26-2006, 09:47 PM
RTM;

Well, the machine is sitting in my basement as I write this. After reading the thread on Practical Machinist, do you have any other questions?

Perk in Cincinnati

rockrat
12-26-2006, 10:04 PM
Not to steal the topic away but... nice job Perk. I always wanted to build one of these. It sure beats trying to tie 2 barrels together (one blank and one to cpoy) and shim the small part of a file to cut a twist.

Again, nice work.

rock-

KDuffy
12-26-2006, 11:03 PM
My dad had always told me to take a 1/2 to 3/4 inch square rod and twist it to the desired rate then draw it through a bearing that ensured rotation, while draging the button or cutter through the barrel. He described the cutter as a short piece of file thinned and set such that it could be shimmed out after each stroke. He had decribed a very similar machine to the Colonial Williamsburg machine shown in the other forum. We were interested in only Black Powder barrels, (Figured that we could buy Shilen, Douglas, ect. for centerfire).
I always wanted to know what a real rifling machine looked like and the sine bar rifler that you built beats all for simple and effective. Good post enjoyed very much the research.