PDA

View Full Version : Anybody got a link for a kwik switch collet rebuild?

Dawai
12-26-2006, 07:14 PM
My collet lock has died on my spindle on my 1976 bridgeport.
Taper is true, locking is not.
ANYONE got a exploded view? rebuilding instructions? On the universal site they list a rebuilding kit, but it is a dead link.

ANY real good cheap replacement spindle & quick change tooling? Tormach? I kinda dislike the kwikswitch stuff anyways.

JRouche
12-27-2006, 12:07 AM
Sorry bro, all I have is this picture of the parts. Maybe find the broken part looking at the good parts? JRouche

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/Jrouche/HSM/forum.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/Jrouche/HSM/forum2.jpg

SJorgensen
12-27-2006, 02:53 AM
I'm also interested in this. My Kwik Switch still works but there is sometimes a problem with the adjustment screw. I think that it adjusts where the ramps lock under the two tangs. It is a tricky adjustment and there is a part that covers the screw window that is a problem.

Other than that I'm pretty satisfied with the Kwik Switch system. It is accurate and easy and convenient and less complex than any drawbar system that I've ever seen.

Dawai
12-27-2006, 09:00 AM
I have not even looked to see how it comes apart yet.

I kept telling myself it is a flake of aluminum. No problems till now, a 4 nozzle coolmist unit installed around the spindle and 150psi on it.

I had 0.000 runout of the taper, on a tool thou I had 12 thou at the tool next to the collet, I picked some shrapnel out of the collet system and I got it down to .005. I flushed the whole collet lock out for half a hour.

AS, Forrest said once, air around a high tolerance part is a bad idea, it blows crap up into places you really don't want it..

I had a bad day before I noticed it was wobbling the tool, made a whole days worth of scrap. I ain't got enough time as it is without making crap, and taking all day to do it.

There is a wear pad in there, not in Jrouche's picture. J: Do you pull a pin, drill out a rivet or what to make it come apart?

I really need it to work. I need to complete the flamecutter this week to make my goals. I tried spotting with the cnc and drilling on the tabletop drill press, kinda frustrating.