PDA

View Full Version : Cabin Fever Meeting

Cecil Walker
12-27-2006, 12:03 PM
How about another Cabin Fever meeting for the HSM BB group? For the previous 3 years we have held this short meeting at 11:00 AM Saturday, near the snack booth in the main lobby. For some unknown reason Frank (PolskiFran) and myself have become the unofficial unelected coordinators. How about it again for 07? We already have Japcas and motormoron already on board from Spence's post. Let me know by posting and i will have enough free John Deere caps for everyone in attendance, same as in previous years.

If anyone has a better idea on time and place please speak up. Frank are you listening? I will be in the CCS Prints booth, same as last year.

It's a good time to put a name and face together, well..... in most instances anyway.

What say ye?

Tin Falcon
12-27-2006, 12:11 PM
Will plan on being there maybe a note on the inside of the glases.Last year got so involved talking with the public I lost track of time
Tin

sid pileski
12-27-2006, 12:39 PM
Cecil- My son and daughter and I will be there.
I will try to make the 11:00 meeting. I'm sure I'll see you befor that.

Sid

BigBoy1
12-27-2006, 01:13 PM
For the newbees, how about providing more infromation as to where this meeting will take place? Is it in conjunction with some other group meeting or event? Thanks.

Bill

Cecil Walker
12-27-2006, 02:10 PM
Bill, the meeting will take place at the Cabin Fever Expo, York Fairgrounds, York, Pa. on Jan 20th 2007 at 11:00 AM if everyone agrees. We will meet near the snack bar in the main entrance. The auction is Friday and the show is Saturday and Sunday. You can get more info at http://www.cabinfeverexpo.com

Sid: Don't forget, bring a detailed picture review of the car project! and yes, i will look you up prior to the meeting, especially if i see a big fat picture album in your hand.

Errol Groff
12-27-2006, 08:30 PM
I will be there! If you can get Gary Schonley (sp) to make an announcment that would be great.

Errol Groff

Buzzer John
12-27-2006, 09:00 PM
I plan to be there if it doesn't snow. Last year was my first year and I had a great time.

BigBoy1
12-28-2006, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the information. I'll attend as I have never been to one before.
Also being in PA, it will give me chance get over to Grizzly and drool a lot.

Bill

kennyd4110
12-28-2006, 08:20 AM
I plan on being there, it will be my first also...

Tin Falcon
12-28-2006, 12:50 PM
Bill FYI grizzly is about 2 1/2 hours 120 miles north of the show.
Hope to see you at the show
Tin

sid pileski
12-28-2006, 04:57 PM
[QUOTE=

Sid: Don't forget, bring a detailed picture review of the car project! and yes, i will look you up prior to the meeting, especially if i see a big fat picture album in your hand.[/QUOTE]

Cecil- you'd better look for a laptop, as all my photos are digital!
But, I'm going to try and bring them. Maybe that can be part of my display this year, as I haven't had a lot of time to build any new models.

Sid

IOWOLF
12-28-2006, 06:35 PM
I heard there was something like that in the midwest,S.D. perhaps.

SJorgensen
12-29-2006, 03:44 AM
It looks like I'll be there. I'm interested in what other sights and historical items of interest might be in the area. I've never been anywhere near this place, and I don't know the history of the area very well. I'll also be staying in Baltimore for a few days.

I look forward to meeting those of you who will be there.

Thanks,

Spence

motomoron
12-29-2006, 10:03 AM
Here's what I have to offer in the way of suggestions for York PA "local color" besides, of course, the the giant weight lifter with his equally-oversized barbell atop the York Barbell Company, visible from, I think Rt. 83 N.

Maple Donuts.

Coming from the Washington DC area, we're really low on good independantly owned or local chain donut shops since area favorite Montgomery Donuts (MoDo's) closed a few years back. maple Donuts, local to York produces some top quality donuts. There are several locations, but I usually try for the one that's got the giant donut out front.

japcas
12-29-2006, 10:26 AM
It looks like I'll be there. I'm interested in what other sights and historical items of interest might be in the area. I've never been anywhere near this place, and I don't know the history of the area very well. I'll also be staying in Baltimore for a few days.

I look forward to meeting those of you who will be there.

Thanks,

Spence

Other neat attractions that aren't far away are Hershey and Gettysburg. My wife always like to go over to Hershey as it has a lot of history. If you can go over to take the virtual tour of the hershey plant and take the guided trolley ride around town. If you don't know the history of Mr. Hershey it is very interesting. Gettysburg isn't far away either. Maybe 45 minutes away if I remember correctly and Hershey is maybe 35 minutes away. There is a mall down the road from the show so the ladies can hang out over there. Definitely a fun trip.

mbensema
12-29-2006, 11:08 AM
This website has some good ideas.

http://www.factorytoursusa.com/StateList.asp?state=PA

Right in York, you have the Harley Davidson factory and about an hour and half east is the Mack Truck factory. New Holland farm equipment in New Holland PA about an hour east. Three Mile Island is just up the road towards Harrisburg, don't know if they do any tours any longer, but had a good one back in college many years ago.

Lancaster has many outlet malls and Amish furniture stores if you are into that kind of stuff.

BillB
12-29-2006, 11:38 AM
Hey, Cecil, Bill Hargrave & I are planning to come up again, hopefully Friday thru Sunday.

And yes, you have been appointed meeting Czar for life.

For those of you who haven't been:
Add the Watch & Clock Museum in Lancaster to the list of attractions. I never get out of the show on this trip, though, not enough time to see everthing in sufficient detail. For instance, I could spend the whole time talking to George Luhrs and looking at his work. Also, every year there are more people I've met at the HSM BB meeting to catch up with. Which reminds me, Cecil, bring some pics so we can see how that Gerstner chest fits into your shop...

Last year was the first time I've been (out of 6) when there was no snow to be seen. Road conditions are good, though. The toughest part was hot-footing across the parking lot at 4 degrees F one year.

See y'all there.

BillB

Cecil Walker
12-29-2006, 11:40 AM
Well looks like a good start, about 14 so far, between the BB posts and private messages some have sent me.

Sid: laptop it is!

Wolf: I know of NAMES is Toledo, Ohio, but will do some research on something a little more local to you, and let you know.

mark61
12-29-2006, 12:00 PM
[QUOTE=motomoron]Here's what I have to offer in the way of suggestions for York PA "local color" besides, of course, the the giant weight lifter with his equally-oversized barbell atop the York Barbell Company, visible from, I think Rt. 83 N.

Maple Donuts.

Harley Davidson has it's final assembly plant about 4 miles east of the fair grounds. Also Wilke Machinery sales is not far south just off RT83. www.wilkemachinery.com They are woodworking but last time I was there they let you stroke and fondle the machinery!
ANY direction on rt30 from York is interesting things to see, places to visit and or shopping to do! Gettysburg is about half hour drive west on rt30 and then Lancaster/Paradice/Bird in Hand is about half hour EAST.

Going to try to be there myself and looking forwards to it!

mark61

fixxit
12-29-2006, 12:22 PM
Here is the crew that appeared for the 2005 group meeting.
Lots of introductions and handshaking took place.

Everyone agreed that no one looked the way they were imagined to look.

From the left:
#1 Cecil Walker
#2 PolskiFran (Frank Krupinski)
#3 StephenK
#4 sid ? Mike Pileski
#5 cFoster, Craig Foster assistant editor of HSM
#6 Luke55, got the long distance award, traveling down from Canada.
#7 andy_b
#8 bill_b
#9 Arbo
#10 Fixxit is behind the camera pushing the button.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/fixxit/cabin%20fever%2005/48fb5e0d.jpg

fixxit
12-29-2006, 01:00 PM
Here's my view of some past Cabin Fever shows.
There was an amazing amount of talent on display.
Many of the machines exhibited could be displayed in museums.
I'm not happy about the order of the pictures, but can't figure out how to rearrange them.

Click on the "Cabin Fever 05" album. There are two pages in the album.

Click on any thumbnail picture to see it full size.

Fixxit

http://photobucket.com/albums/v11/fixxit/

Arbo
12-29-2006, 01:19 PM
I think I will try to make it this year. I missed it last year. I really had a good time in 2005 when I saw the show, and it was fun meeting up with the guys from here.

PolskiFran
12-29-2006, 08:57 PM
I'm planning on getting to CFE on Friday morning and leaving on Sunday afternoon. It is always a pleasure to see everyone from the HSMBB. I do agree with Tin, it is hard to get away from your display, but I'll be there for the meeting at 11:00 Saturday.

See you then (or before),
Frank

Randolph
12-30-2006, 05:45 PM
I plan to be there, Cecil. My brother, recently retired and out of anything better to do, and I plan to come and bring books and stuff. See you then.
Randolph

Cecil Walker
01-01-2007, 09:52 AM
WOW! about 18 so far, this may be the largest meeting yet.

Saratoga Bill
01-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Not sure if the timing will work but is there any chance a motorhome will fit the lot for maybe an overnight stay?

Thanks, Bill

Tin Falcon
01-01-2007, 06:21 PM
IIRC you can park a motor home there are hookups. The fair grounds hosts RV rallys. you need to pay a nominal fee to the fair grounds. The show promoter does not get involved in that. I would contact the York County Fairgrounds to verify.
Tin

laddy
01-01-2007, 06:31 PM
Hope to see you there with my buddy Ron. Fred