PDA

View Full Version : Ironworker back fence, quick measure

Dawai
12-27-2006, 04:33 PM
put this together this morning, I was needing to cut two dozen pieces the same length.

Pretty happy the way it turned out, it is tack welded up.. I guess I'll have to weld it in solid. It is a cross adjustor for a line cutter, motor was out on it.. this is the way I use "junk" for my end results.

1" tube sections welded into ironworker, it allows the rack to slip on and off. A tapped hole tightens up on the rack.. You slide a ruler through it, turn the handle till you get your back length, then tighten the nut..

NOT my idea, Kerry of Imperial wheeling machines, Alabama, but I did add in the rack for quick adjust.

http://bbssystem.com/download.php?id=961
It moves from tool to tool on the ironworker.
http://bbssystem.com/download.php?id=962
http://bbssystem.com/download.php?id=963
(hard to imagine dial up still exists today) do you have a rotary dial phone too?

rockrat
12-27-2006, 11:17 PM
Nice looking setup Dave. What you chopin there? Platic? UHMW?
Its nice to swing it out of the way. Looks like one bolt and rotate.
A scribe on the rack at x" intervals would get you roughed in.

rock-

CCWKen
12-27-2006, 11:43 PM
Dang! I guess my screen shrunk or the pics are 5,000x20,000 or some HUGE size. I got about one inch of two pictures after about three minutes and timed out. Can you resize to a viewable screen so the rest of us country folk can see 'em? :D

Dawai
12-28-2006, 09:10 AM
OK.. out of time, I resized one, and changed the others to url links.

Rotary phones? you know they charge extra for them now? I am not sure I can still dial one.

Things are done to save time and money. When it takes longer to help a friend than you are making money, you have to change your work ethics.

Why is it so hard to post pictures on "this" website? I like the people here and all.. but . Adrians website, where I have been frequenting for a year or more is much easier. I know he is a sharp guy and all, but "this is a company" for god's sake.

Today, perhaps if I get the torch parts machined I can paint the fence before it turns brown with rust.

rockrat
12-28-2006, 09:37 AM
Yea, posting a small photo here is a bit trying. But I've ended up with the text on the desktop where I can copy/paste it quick, then just fill in the photo. Not good if you have different storage bins for the photos.

I have to get over to Adrians and look around again. Not been there for a while.

rock-

Ries
12-28-2006, 12:14 PM
My Ironworker came stock with a back fence that has a built in stainless steel ruler, and an electric switch- you turn a switch on the main machine, and then when you set your length, you just slide the metal in, and the action of your metal hitting the stop actuates the ironworker- but of course those guys from South Dakota havent figured this out yet- mine came from the Basque country of Northern Spain.

But I did build a similar stop for my cold saw.
Unlike David, I figured that sheer speed of adjustment wasnt quite as important as ease of measurement- so I bought a right to left reading sticky back measuring tape from a woodworking catalog for about ten bucks, and then copied a Biesemeyer fence/stop design they sell for woodworking compound miter saws.
Mine is eleven feet long, so you can get any size piece out of a 20 footer.
Its very quick to just unscrew the little rebar handle, slide it till the bar lines up with your desired length, and torque it down again.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v132/rniemi/coldsaw.jpg

Dawai
12-28-2006, 01:37 PM
I gotta get me a chop saw like that. I got a XY gantry ten foot long, so.. feeding to it would make more sense than even using the ironworker with a air cylinder trip. It's on the list of things I want. OR build.. I got a heavy bearing belt driven arbor that would work, I was planning on polisher and 9" grind rocks on it thou. It is 3phase so I gotta get more male plugs to go to my inverter. (I move them around)

I had a similar rig on my trim saw I used to build the house. two sawhorses the same height as the saw table w/2x12 on top and a ruler tacked in *end broken off.

I need more room. A aircraft hanger would be about the right size, right now.

Ries
12-28-2006, 03:20 PM
That there is a cold saw- 3 1/2hp motor, massive gear reduction unit, and a final speed of a whopping 50rpm. Liquid cooled, recirculating pump.
Amazing torque, runs a carbon steel toothed blade at 50rpm and will chop thru 2" square in under a minute.

It will beat the pants off any chop saw I have ever used- well, maybe not one of those 20hp Kalamazoo's with the 36" disc, but they throw so many sparks out, and are so loud, that you can barely get within ten feet of em when they are running without asbestos underwear.

I dont think you can get the torque you would need with a belt/arbor setup unless you started off with something like 10hp and a bunch of pulleys. You would need something like 4 belts on the final drive, to keep it from slipping- I know my big powerhammer, which only runs a 5hp motor, uses 4 belts to transmit the torque, and it is running at maybe 1000rpm at the motor.

So to build a cold saw, I think gear reducers are the way to go, not belts.

Dawai
12-28-2006, 05:19 PM
I guess my ignorance is showing, I thought a cold saw was just for aluminum.
We have a scotchman dual blade cold cut saw at the motorcycle shop with crap piled on it. The blades crank in - out with a handle.

I understood they were just for aluminum thou and I didn't pay it any attention at all. The piggyback mig I'd like to have back, I sold three of them for almost nothing, now I'd like to have one with my miller synchrowave.

Kinda like the african women, the church group gave them a washing machine when they saw them beating thier clothes on rocks in the river. A twinkle came up in the ladies eye as she described watching the ladies beat the washing machine on the rocks... OR them poor Finnish farmers, America gave them tractors after WW2, the farmers didn't know what gasoline was, the translation was tar, hundreds of tractors sitting around with the fuel tank full of tar.. (source: my ex wife, a Finn)

As a machinist, thou I desire to be one, I am a pretty good electrician.