PDA

View Full Version : Chuck for A Warner Swasey #3

gearhead
12-28-2006, 08:55 PM
I working out a deal for a W&S #3 that is currently being run with collets. I have another person who has a 12 inch chuck which will maybe fit the #3. Is a 12 inch just chuck to big. I was really looking for a 10 inch chuck due to what I will be turning. I don't know the recommended specs on the lathe is.

beckley23
12-28-2006, 10:15 PM
I have an 8" chuck for my #3 W&S, it's about the right size, and a 10" for the #5 J&L. The J&L could handle a 12" easily.
The cross slide on the W&S won't go under the 12" chuck, I'm not sure it will go under an 8"er, which could be a disadvantage, depending on how the job tooling is set up.
Harry

IOWOLF
12-29-2006, 05:13 AM
I have a 10" on mine also, BTW it is an A1-6 mount,Not the easyist type to find, used.

You will love the W&S#3, I do.

We should get a WS3 club going. ;)

gearhead
12-29-2006, 06:09 AM
I'm all for the club, I have lots to learn about these old girls.

Regarding the chuck, I don't think my friends chuck will work. Now I'm looking everywhere for a 10 inch Warner Swasey chuck. Thanks for the A1-6 information I was not aware of the right type to get. Gear

IOWOLF
12-29-2006, 05:06 PM
This died Quick.

Any way what kind of work do you do on your Turret lathe?

gearhead
12-30-2006, 03:01 PM
Well, between you and me, I really don't need the SW #3. I used to run a #3 many many years ago and really liked the machine. Some local friends who own machine shops have asked me to do some very repetative work, that they don't want to do. One of the jobs was making somekind of collar that had several interior dimension and a turret lathe would be perfect for that. They just had thousands they needed to be made and my little import would not be able to do the trick.

It seems all of the #3's I have seen lately all have collets, does anyone have experience useing collets. I have always just used a three jaw chuck.

gearhead
12-30-2006, 04:14 PM
Looking to see if anyone could help me out. I went and looked at a #3 today and it seems like a pretty good one. BUT, it needs to be cleaned up ALOT. I'm going to assemble a base that has steel caster wheels so the #3 can be wheeled around the shop and get inspected and cleaned up. I failed to get the overall size of the #3's base (feet) so the framework could be made. If anyone who has a #3 has the time would you PLEASE take the messurements of the machines base and post it. I going to use 3 inch angle 1/4 inch thick to make the base. Any thoughts on this.

IOWOLF
12-30-2006, 05:46 PM
I can tomarrow, But a lathe on wheels doesnt sound like a very good Idea for some reason.

gearhead
12-30-2006, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the check, I appreciate it.

I also failed to check if the lathe was 220 3 phase of 440 3 phase. I have to buy a phase converter it's 220 but if its 440 I'll have to pass on the machine. I 've searched the web, but not much infomation on the #3's.

Thanks for checking on the measurements gear