PDA

View Full Version : Home shop air compressor sugestions.

gundog
12-28-2006, 10:55 PM
My air compressor just died broken connecting rod. It was an oil less and I am glad its dead sorta I didn't want to replace it right now. This one was a standup tank single phase 220 volt 5HP. I use this thing a couple times a week and this one made it 10 years. Has anyone researched these things I want to replace it soon and I don't want another oil less it was very noisy. I run a few air tools and use it for an air supply for my mill mister so it gets a lot of off and on.

What have you guys got and do you like it? How much did you have to give? Should I replace the whole thing the tank seems ok maybe just the compressor & motor. I don't think I can reuse the motor because the compressor portion seems to be all bolted together in one unit.

I would like to maybe go to a 2 stage.
Any advice would be great I need a new one yesterday. Cost will be a factor of course I want the best for nothing just kidding.
Thanks Mike

Dawai
12-28-2006, 11:42 PM
www.eatoncompressor.com
http://www.eatoncompressor.com/i//Copy_of_7.5_HP_close_up_1.jpg
they got smaller ones too.

The best compressor I could find. Cheap as the "lied" output CH one nearly. A monster V4 10hp compressor running 7.5hp motor geared slower. A true 1750rpm motor, requires a 50 amp circuit to it thou. pressure switch set at 150psi, has a unloader valve you toggle to run full time, switches the valves in and out for sandblasting. Has a sight glass for oil level. Two air filters.

Problems? the paint job they put on it sucks. I got red paint on my hands as I unloaded it. Quiet thou, you can talk on the phone in the same room with it running.

You need help putting it into place, I did, but I did it alone. Heavy enough if it body-slams you, you stay there. I could snatch and move the CH one. It did cut me to the bone once thou, not deburred.. I leave the big red one alone.

Anyways, after a while, I'd buy another.. I hope this one lasts me a long time thou.

motomoron
12-29-2006, 12:06 AM
No more oil-less compressers. Ever.

I lived with a succession of those miserable, noisy things for years, and started searching for a "proper" compressor when I was down to one 5hp-25 gallon DeVilbiss that was on it's last legs.

My criteria were:

5-7 hp
60-80 gallons
American made
Cast iron 2 cylinder pump
Preferably 2 stage
Nice condition
Under $750

I looked at eBay, surplus sites, Craigslist in a 250 mile radius, asked people-essentially beat the bushes for 6 months. I looked at a few dogs, looked at a nice one that was local but on ebay and was bid out of sight.

Finally, on the local Craigslist I found a perfect condition Speedaire 5hp-60 gallon, cast iron, 2 stage compressor that had literally been used to inflate tires at a shop that worked on handicapped transit vans. The shop was closing and the seller was very motivated. I got it for $350, and also ended up with a nice Millermatic 185 mig for another $450.

Keep looking, the one you want is taking up valuable space in someone else's basement or garage. Buy American if you can. An Ingersoll-Rand T30 is nice, as are Quincys. Search for Forrest Addy's treatise on selecting a compressor, it's sage advice as one would expect.

lenord
12-29-2006, 01:04 AM
Yeah, what David and Motormoron said.

IIRC, there is a place on the practicalmachinists site that has Forrests article on compressors. Worth a read for most anyone.

Lenord

dp
12-29-2006, 01:16 AM
My air compressor just died broken connecting rod. It was an oil less and I am glad its dead sorta I didn't want to replace it right now.

Show up in Bellevue WA with a hunnert bux and a pickup truck and you can have this gorgeous classic - the tank needs to be tossed, but the pump is rock solid. http://HawglyDavidson.com/uglypump/

I was going to refurb it but age, a failing heart, and opportunity are passing me by and I don't have time left even for the important stuff. You have to have a fondness for old stuff which I do, but this really is a neat old pump. Flyweights and mechanical pressure relief - oil bath bottom end. Your tank and motor and this pump and you have a pump that's been working for nearly a century and will probably go into the next.

Dawai
12-29-2006, 01:54 AM
The site above, they sell bare compressors, motors too. You don't save much like that thou. by the time you add in the extras throwed in on the big arsed compressor like the water dump, and other things. That water dump solonoid, I'll get busy welding or something concentrating, that thing will Pop and blow and I will nearly wet myself.

If you had a motor, you'd need a pump, you need both. If you plan on painting cars, you need more than 5real hp. If you plan on sandblasting, really you need 10 or more.

Forrest did a story on air compressors here a year or so back. Good reading.

Ron Horton
12-29-2006, 02:11 AM
Greetings everybody, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
About 10 years ago, I needed a compressor for a cabinet shop-- I found one at a place that sold military surplus equipment in Sacramento, CA.-- It was a 220 V 3ph, 7.5 HP motor driving a huge 2 stage compressor, all mounted on a 70 gal tank-- I never could use all the air this unit produced, and it was quiet-- I paid $350.00, and they loaded it on the truck-- Plus a 1 year warranty-- When I need another, I'll look at a surplus sales place first-- I know this had been reconditioned, but for the money, who cares-- Hope this helps--- Best regards, Ron

"I know I just had it a minute ago"

speedy
12-29-2006, 06:35 AM
I have had no problems with Fusheng pumps. For homeshop use the TA65 is a good, solid, simple unit. 3 cylinder and they last for years. I see that this crowd have them over your way; there must be more suppliers though?

http://www.airtekltd.com/fusheng_a.htm

A.K. Boomer
12-29-2006, 10:51 AM
I have had a Puma for the past 14 years, just a little 3 horse 30 gal tank, its a V/2 with a cast pump, oil, U.S.A. and priced very reasonable, its only a single stage but when i first got it i removed the head gaskets and tweeked the pressure switch --- it was rated for 90 or 110 psi but its been kicking out 150 psi for over 14 years with moderate use, never a prob. -- major neglect, broke it in and changed the oil, thats the one oil change she's ever had, has a sight glass and the level has stayed the same and the oil looks brand new...

hitnmiss
12-29-2006, 11:09 AM
I'll second Boomers Puma reccomendation. I have a 110V two cylinder (not two stage) vertical. It's one of the quietest "home style" compressors I've ever seen. Quiet was #1 on my list of requirements when I replaced my 2 month old oiless. The oiless would literally chase you out of the garage.

I often wondered if you could interrogate Saddam Hussein with one of those things, park him in a garage with a oilless for 10 hours and ask him what you need to know, no answers=10 more hours of that miserable compressor!

A.K. Boomer
12-29-2006, 11:21 AM
I cannot believe they build oiless compressers to begin with, they might have an advantage if you need to run one upside down but other than that they are peices of crap....

Nutter
12-29-2006, 11:23 AM
Just thought I'd throw in my $.02 since it's timley... I bought an oil-less from sears yesterday because I wanted a small compressor to sit behind my CNC. Don't need much air, just for the spindle brake and the mister and they had one that was cheap and the right size. It turns out that it's ridiculously noisy and it's going back to sears right now. I don't want to have to wear hearing protection in my shop :(

Edit: Just got back - and the best thing I can say about that compressor is that Sears refunded my money with no fuss :) I still can't figure out why I was stupid enough to buy that one in the first place... Got a better answer now - same as this but with a different label on it it - and a lot cheaper than this price http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/catalog/images.php?products_id=671 . Kinda overkill for one small CNC, but I won't go deaf.

Orrin
12-29-2006, 11:29 AM
I got my US-built 5 h.p. Quincy through Harbor Freight. I don't remember how I found out this could be done, but it was a happy deal from beginning to end. It was a special order thing and the compressor was shipped directly from the factory to me. It was the best deal I could find at the time--would probably be the same, now.

If you don't need anything that big (18 scfm) you might want to shop around for what suits your fancy, then go to HF and see if they can get it for you.

Orrin

rockrat
12-29-2006, 11:30 AM
The site above, they sell bare compressors, motors too. You don't save much like that thou. by the time you add in the extras throwed in on the big arsed compressor like the water dump, and other things. That water dump solonoid, I'll get busy welding or something concentrating, that thing will Pop and blow and I will nearly wet myself.

If you had a motor, you'd need a pump, you need both. If you plan on painting cars, you need more than 5real hp. If you plan on sandblasting, really you need 10 or more.

Forrest did a story on air compressors here a year or so back. Good reading.

Dave, I just noticed that your compressor place is up here and about 1-1/2 hrs away from me. I might just go look them up. I like my compressor and all but is is just a bit small for me.

I have a kick a$$ tank but need a different pump. I need to check my motor rating. You say you need about 10 hp for a sandblast cabinet? Hummmm I need to do more research.

Do you remember where Forrest had his article? HSM or on Practical Machinist? I need to click over there and take a look for it.

cheers!
rock-

gundog
12-29-2006, 11:46 AM
I looked for Forrest's article and could not find it does anyone have a link?

I really don't have time to repair this one or replace parts I have some orders I am working on and need it right away I have to get a bunch of work done for a trade show and I am running real close on time. My business is done on the side after work and days off I can't take on another project. I do have a Harbor Freight close by and all of the big box stores I am afraid that is what I will have to do.

I really like the ones David C. posted the link to but they say they have a 2 week lead time I can't wait. Anybody out there in the Portland, Or area have one for sale or know a good place to look?

I am second on the list for this one the guy said somebody is coming to get it and if he doesn't he will call me.
Mike
http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/tls/254568945.html

Anyone know anything about this brand?
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/tls/253723672.html

Michael Moore
12-29-2006, 01:04 PM
Here's one compressor link with stuff from Forrest:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=14202&highlight=Air+head+question

cheers,
Michael

Seastar
12-29-2006, 02:22 PM
Last spring I started looking for a larger air compressor for my Minnesota shop.
The wheeled 2HP unit I had would not keep up with my bead blast cabinet.
After some research I bought a C'-Aire II from L&M Fleet Supply in Virginia, MN.
This unit is a 230VAC, 5 HP,Two Stage 60 gallon compressor built in Wyoming, MN by C'-Aire, Inc.
It is a very high quality unit at a very modest price.
C'-Aire uses a top quality imported Italian compressor pump that is cast iron and not pot metal.
They use US motors.
The unit is very quiet and built solid like things used to be.
If you Google C-Aire, Inc. and call their phone number you can talk to some very knowledgeable people.
I have no interest in them but think their products are top notch.
www.c-aireinc.com

By the way, I also have an oilless unit that I use to blow the water out of the pipes in my houses in Minnesota when I shut them down for the winter.
You would not want to use an "oil" type compressor for that job. I also use an oilless compressor for air to dive and clean the bottom of my boat in Florida.
Oilless compressors have their place.
Bill

ProGunOne
12-30-2006, 01:33 AM
No more oil-less compressers. Ever. Ditto

they are peices of crap I Agree

I have a little 12 gal 1 hp Craftsman that I purchased recently on sale for 179.00 and I was able to buy it at an early am sale and save an additional 10 percent off. Does fine for me for as much as I use it and comes with the following specs: 2.4 SCFM @ 90, 3.7 SCFM at 40 (125 PSI max). ASME certified vertical tank. Cast iron pump cylinder. Direct drive oil lubricated pump. Sears item #00916640000 Mfr. model #16640

gundog
12-30-2006, 12:03 PM
I looked at the old one that died actually a connecting rod on one cylinder broke in half so I guess it really didn't die it just has emphysema it has one lung left. The old oneís motor spec was 14 Amp and it delivered 10.3 CFM @ 90PSI. I got by with it but when running my right angle die grinder for deburring with a scotch brite disc it would run continuously and start to slow the die grinder.

The die grinder is an Ingersol Rand, one of the older good US made ones not the ones they make now. I am not sure how much air the die grinder uses. I have a full selection of air tools but I don't use them very often I use the die grinder a lot so I want to be able to run it. I have replaced many of my air tools with 18V cordless stuff and I like them better than the air less noise and no hose. My other use is basically just running air for my cool mist.

I am thinking about buying this one from Lowes. I would spend more money on one but I am getting ready to buy a new welder and I only have so many funds right now for tools. If I can get by for a couple years with the new compressor I may replace it after that. Most of the other ones I have looked at are much more I was willing to spend up to 1K but this one is half that. Actually most of the compressors I really want are about $1600. You usually get what you pay for so I am very skeptical?

I donít care about the HP rating but I wonder if this one will really put out 13.3 CFM @ 90 PSI.
Mike

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=134819-48540-K7060HFV&lpage=none

A.K. Boomer
12-30-2006, 01:12 PM
By the way, I also have an oilless unit that I use to blow the water out of the pipes in my houses in Minnesota when I shut them down for the winter.
You would not want to use an "oil" type compressor for that job. I also use an oilless compressor for air to dive and clean the bottom of my boat in Florida.
Oilless compressors have their place.
Bill

My little Puma has been used for 14 years and the oil level has remained the same in the sight glass, it holds less than a quart, and 99% of the almost nothing that does get by will end up in the bottom of the tank and has its bennies in preventing tank rust and catastrophic failure, I also use my comp. to paint cars with and believe me any "oil" will imediatly show up in a paint job, I would not hesitate to blow out pipes or breath the air as i dont consider oil to be a factor but if somebody was still concerned there are in-line filters that catch everything, a far better answer than buying a junk compressor that can also be a negative factor to the lungs or your drinking water --- wonder if anybody has done any studies on the effects of teflon and the other materials that get into the lungs in the oil-less while there running and wearing out -- and believe me - they are wearing out at an accellerated rate creating all kinds of dust from God only knows what kind of materials, I would rather breath the air from my Oil comp. than that of an oil-less anyday, any of the oil that gets into the tank and settles is inert, its going nowhere, not so with an oil-less, many of the particles remain active and get stirred up everytime the pump kicks on --- They will continue to do this untill they are expelled through the air hose and into or onto whatever they are being used, many of the major carcinogens found in motor oil are after the fact of it being ran in the crankcase of an IC engine (blow by), the air compressor is immune to this... if your still worried fill the crank case with castor bean oil --- maybe sell the air to health freaks.

You could buy a good filter and run it on an oil-less but then youd have a junk compressor with a good filter, why not have a good filter and a good compressor?

Oil-less have thier place alright --- in the boneyard...

ligito
12-30-2006, 02:04 PM
Try Portland Compressor, or Grainger.

ligito
12-30-2006, 02:08 PM
The best one I ever had was a Wisconsin gas engine powered 2 stage 5hp Kellog American that would deliver 175 pounds.

I've always regretted trading down to an electric 2 hp single stage that puts out a little over 100 lbs.

Once you use a 2 stage, there's no going back.

jkilroy
12-30-2006, 02:32 PM
Based on Mr. Cofer's endorsement I have sent off for an Eaton Compressor. You are on the spot now buddy! ;) I should have it in a couple of weeks or so. Look for a write up here.

Dawai
12-30-2006, 05:38 PM
If ya got the big un,, plan on shooting a whole day moving it. I had someone ask me "how did you get that in here" today.
I got it into place, I don't mess with it. I picked up the blue 7 1/2hp one and sat it next to it. I don't mess with the big red un. Kinda like a small block chevy sitting there on that tank.

David