PDA

View Full Version : Import grease. What is it?

bhjones
12-29-2006, 06:54 PM
Late this summer I ordered a small mill from Grizzly. In the last two weeks I've ordered a cheap spin index and a rather nicely finished (better than I expected at least and far above simple serviceability) AXA sized wedge QCTP from an imported selling on Ebay by the name Shars.

The mill was covered in the classic red grease, the latest tools are covered to a lesser extent in a brown grease. Clean up was a pain for all the tools and each time I get one of these imported tools I wonder "What is this stuff?". Is it animal based? Petroleum based? Is there a ton of wax in it? Is it toxic?

Anyone know?

wierdscience
12-29-2006, 07:22 PM
Hahaha.... beware of the Blob!:D

The brown stuff can be anything,some of the older stuff was fish gutts,no,seriously.They used rendered fish scales and fins to make some preservative.We used to see it on import wirerope and cold rolled.Some of it even smelled like rotten fish.

speedsport
12-29-2006, 07:27 PM
I think I might have dated her a long time ago.

Alistair Hosie
12-29-2006, 07:28 PM
serious point during ww11 the Russians were reduced to eating this stuff very sad.Alistair

bhjones
12-29-2006, 07:51 PM
As a young boy when I wasn't eating my veggies, my mother would give me the kids starving in China line. I'd always wonder just how hungy I'd have to be before I ate green beans without threat of injury from my mother.

This brings that question to a whole different level.

serious point during ww11 the Russians were reduced to eating this stuff very sad.Alistair

torker
12-29-2006, 08:03 PM
I thought it was "poggy" :D

CCWKen
12-29-2006, 08:55 PM
The last Chinese tool I got had all the machined surfaces coated with something like varnish. (transparent brown) I had to use lacquer thinner to get it off. I think I'd rather have the grease. At least it washed off with diesel, K1 or just plain paint thinner.

wierdscience
12-30-2006, 01:53 AM
I thought it was "poggy" :D

Poggy,fish gutts,cat food it's all the same:D

Evan
12-30-2006, 02:15 AM
Poggy,fish gutts,cat food it's all the same

I'm pretty sure it isn't caviar.

A.K. Boomer
12-30-2006, 11:27 AM
proper word is cosmoline, its a thick petrol product that is also very high in paraffin, It seems every country has thier own "mix" and many can contain just about any thing that inhibits rust -- was going to go into a big speeeel about whale blubber but i just dont have the time today...

wierdscience
12-30-2006, 11:35 AM

Growing up we were so poor our family would eat fried chicken for dinner Sunday and lick our fingers for lunch Tuesday.

Evan
12-30-2006, 01:07 PM
I just suck on my beard. :D

Swarf&Sparks
12-30-2006, 01:59 PM
Have some respect people!
It's yak fat, rendered in a monastery in the himalayas. Teams of sherpas haul firewood up vertiginous trails on their days off.
That's when they're not hauling tourists up the same vertiginous trails.
Come to think of it, why don't they just render down some of the tourists? :D

Lew Hartswick
12-30-2006, 02:01 PM
Can anyone spell " vegemite " :-)
...lew...

Swarf&Sparks
12-30-2006, 02:37 PM
Yup, and I can even spread it on my toast with one hand while putting on my thongs with the other :D