PDA

View Full Version : Another project from the scrap pile...

sidegrinder
12-30-2006, 05:28 PM
I've seen a few of these around the net lately and thought one might come in handy. I built this one last week from some bits and pieces I had laying around and I think it will save me alot of time when I use my torch. I have a 1/4" plate on top of my rollaround tool chest with a vice on it that I use for welding/torch work. Problem was that I had to keep it tight up against the back wall to get both vehicles in the garage. When time came to use the torch, I'd usually have to muscle this outfit away from the wall to work safely. It was always even more of a pain to manuver it back into position! Now I can just wip this little number out and set it in the middle of the garage/outside or whatever and have at it. I tacked on a small bracket in the rear to hold the torch and will probably put a hook on each side for sparker, chipping hammer etc. It is not terribly heavy but is quite sturdy. With a foot and some body weight on the front support, I'm sure I'll be able to bend anything that comes my way ;) Sidegrinder

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k203/sidegrinder/visestand002.jpg

Gary Gill
12-30-2006, 06:30 PM
Nice work!

R W
12-31-2006, 04:53 AM
Built something similar in 1975, used a plough disc for the base, 2" pipe
with a smaller size pipe inserted in it which could be locked in position with
a set screw for the upright,this allowing height adjustment.
Yours looks a top job.

R W