PDA

View Full Version : Evan!

torker
12-31-2006, 01:51 PM
So...how does it feel to be "retired"? Must have been a bit tough shutting the door for the last time.
Hmmm ...I'm pretty sure there won't be any moss growing on you for awhile anyway :D
Russ

Rustybolt
12-31-2006, 02:12 PM
I'm betting he's relieved. I also think he's probobly going to be busier than when he wasn't retired.

madman
12-31-2006, 02:41 PM
May start growin in places you never would of guessed. LOL Congrats Evan

Evan
12-31-2006, 02:50 PM
Yeah, it was a bit strange closing up for the last time.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/lastday.jpg

I've been in there for 9 years with no more than about 10 days off in that time. I have a lot of customers crying on my shoulder trying to convince me to not close or at least work out of my basement. No deal except I will honor whatever warranties I have outstanding until they expire.

It is wierd. I have been in the direct customer service business for the last 32 years. All of that included explaining how to use high tech equipment to people with no clue. I don't mind that at all and am pretty good at it.

Now I can concentrate on the things that I have been putting off for a long time. I have no shortage of things to keep me busy if that's what I want. I will also have more time to more closely manage some of my investments and might get into a bit of day trading.

Right now I have tons of stuff to rearrange around the house. I have some very nice work benches and shelving from the shop as well as other cool furniture. We are in the process now of figuring out how to redistribute all the crap we have collected to accomodate the changes. Basically, I get downstairs in the daylight basement and my wife gets upstairs. We share the kitchen, livingroom and bedroom.

All said and done including the garage I will end up with around 1000 sq ft of shop space of one sort or another including the library/computer room.

We also each have a new laptop on a swivel arm at each of our chairs in the living room. I also bought myself a couple of cool toys for Christmas, a Zire 22 Palm PDA and a Palm TX PDA with bluetooth keyboard. That will give me something to play with when the FMS gets the better of me some days and I can't move around too much. I really overdid it this week with all the moving of stuff and am paying for it today and the next couple of days.

nheng
12-31-2006, 03:06 PM
Evan, congratulations on your retirement. As another thread mentioned, hope we can see that CNC mill finished soon :) Den

Evan
12-31-2006, 03:15 PM
It's high on the list but the redistribution of junk comes first. I also have a court case to attend for a while as a witness in a dispute over alleged racism. It will be in front of the Human Rights Tribunal in Provincial Supreme Court and this will occupy some of my time for a bit. I will be testifying as a friend of the court for the accused parties. I can't say more about that now.

mochinist
12-31-2006, 04:02 PM
Is racism illegal in Canada?

Evan
12-31-2006, 04:09 PM
Promoting hatred of an identifiable ethnic group is illegal.

Dawai
12-31-2006, 05:01 PM
So it would not be racism to "hate everyone"??

Okay, you made the leap, when do you start your "greeter" job at Wal Mart?

Ha.. My health has retired me for a bit. I keep hoping to push some more money into retirement.

laddy
12-31-2006, 05:18 PM
Wish I were retiring. Hope it is as great as I think it will be. Happy New Year. Fred

old-biker-uk
12-31-2006, 05:54 PM
Evan - Enjoy - Retirement is GREAT, wish I had done it years ago. Unfortunately I retired in August 2005 and broke my leg (motorcycle) in October 2005 (Very bad planning). 14 months on and I still don't feel able to attend the dance classes SWMBO would like us to share, so I just have to idle away the hours in the workshop (Such a shame, I would really like to learn how to dance !).
Mark

Evan
12-31-2006, 06:01 PM
:D My wife says "yeah, sure..."

Okay, you made the leap, when do you start your "greeter" job at Wal Mart?

They have to build one here first. It's in process but they recently found that the site they had selected is geotechnically unstable. I think I'll find something else to do although I do know half the people in this town.

We have a big box grocery type store here, Great Canadian Wholesale Club and they have "reverse greeters" that are supposed to inspect your groceries and compare them to your receipt when you leave. I always just walk right by them without stopping and they have learned not to try either. Go ahead, make my day and try to accost me... :)

Wayne02
12-31-2006, 07:24 PM
We also each have a new laptop on a swivel arm at each of our chairs in the living room.
Evan, when you get to feeling better maybe you could post a pic or a link (if the arm is commercial made) of this? I'd be interested in seeing something like this as an alternative to sitting in an office chair at traditional desk. I've just never been able to get comfortable with the whole balance the laptop on your legs while laying on the sofa or in bed deal. And, my 22", 70 pound CRT monitor is hell on my knees while sitting on the throne and computing. :)

Best of luck with your retirement!

Wayne

wierdscience
12-31-2006, 07:32 PM
Friend has a bumper sticker"Watchout!I'm Retireded":D

Hope you enjoy your retirement,although 1,000 sq/ft isn't nearly enough.

Evan
12-31-2006, 08:18 PM
Wayne,

The arm for my wife's laptop is a commercial monitor arm. It works well and is very sturdy.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/laptop1.jpg

Mine is a bit simpler and is just a piece of 1/2" cold rolled welded to a bracket and screwed to a piece of pine shelving. The support clamp is a cast metal clamp and not plastic. It is quite secure and I have used it for a long time.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/laptop2.jpg

garyphansen
12-31-2006, 08:26 PM
Evan: Now you can start sleeping in to 7:30 AM. Gary P. Hansen

Evan
12-31-2006, 08:31 PM
Now you can start sleeping in to 7:30 AM. Gary P. Hansen

You have no idea how much I wish that were true. I am often up at 4 or 5, no later than 6. Sleep is the enemy.

Dawai
12-31-2006, 09:13 PM
I have been trying to figure out how to make a easily swapped out from Civic to Ranger to 41 truck laptop carrier, must swivel out of way, swivel to dash to read gps.

I heard someone say all police cars have them.. not rode in one in a few years.. thank god.

Yeah..

My dad when he retired.. his wife almost worked him to death, he took a part time job to get away from the house.. and get this.. he took his wife with him.. the work was at and on the old house.

BadDog
12-31-2006, 10:07 PM
Congrats on the retirement Evan, I hope you well and truly enjoy it for many years to come.

Alas, I don't ever expect to be so fortunate. Men in my family tend to die young (invariably Cancer) and only a few make it to "retirement age". Add to that the damage caused by my tech biased stock investments a few years back, along with the US government sacking SS, and the outlook is not so good from that perspective either. I’ve resigned myself to working till I drop, but rather limiting my work effort/expenditure now instead of waiting for “retirement” so that I can enjoy things a bit before life starts to really go down the tubes for whatever reason. :D I still contribute to IRAs and what not, I just don't put much stock in it (pun intended). :p

SJorgensen
12-31-2006, 10:40 PM
Hi Evan,

It is probably a good thing for you to get off of that treadmill that you had created for yourself. However there is no such thing as a retirement for you. I don't think that your system could stand it. There is nothing wrong with spending more of your time on your own interests, and in your own pursuits instead of helping others with their interests and pursuits. However I think that there is something that you are destined to contribute to mankind, I'm just not sure where or what it is. I think if you shaved your beard and ran for a public office in my part of the world, I would do everything that I could to get you elected. You seem to be interested in facts and the results and the world needs more of that right now.
I just finished reading a book by James Bramford titled "A Pretext for War." I bought it on Amazon.com and it came from the Library of Palm Beach, Fl.. It was a never read copy and it was stamped "WITHDRAWN".
Please read it and let me know what you think.

Enjoy yourself. But there is no retirement for you. Just new challenges.

Spence

Evan
12-31-2006, 11:54 PM
Thanks all for the kind wishes. I am looking forward to this. Even something such as this upcoming tribunal would have been very difficult for me to attend but now I shall have the time to spare. As I said, I cannot talk about the details but I am quite sure I can make a difference in this case and it may have national ramifications.

Spence,

There isn't a ghost of a chance that I would go into politics. It involves far too much compromise and that isn't my style.

To quote Ronald Regan:

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."

SJorgensen
01-01-2007, 12:21 AM
I would say do it. Don't compromise. Quit instead of compromise. Don't succumb.

Now I ask you, WHO can resist those temptations that corporations offer? There are only a select few individuals that have the TWO necessary qualifications. First is a selflessness, and second is a personage that can be perfectly happy on his own, without those lures and the trappings of wealth that they screw people up with. I'm just saying that I think you could be pretty good. Benjamin Franklin had his own interests, yet he found the time to do something for the people. I love him for it.

TECHSHOP
01-01-2007, 12:49 AM
Evan:

Haven't had much time to keep up on the "news" here, but did notice that you were writing about retiring a while back. I think you will be more successful at retirement than I have been ("retired" twice, but I still need to work to cover the health insurance costs!). I have also wondered now that your biz is gone, will you still be on line 24/7?

Oh, if you ever get your stuff sorted out, you truely are a better man than I am!

Evan
01-01-2007, 01:02 AM
will you still be on line 24/7?

:D :D

I just finished setting up my pocket Palm T|X so that it can access the internet on wireless. Works great on the BBS :D

They are talking about putting in blanket free wireless in Williams Lake, I have high speed satellite here at home and my servers are now in the basement at my wife's shop on high speed. What do you think??? :D