PDA

View Full Version : Moving tools, Egyptian style.

motomoron
01-02-2007, 12:20 AM
As a result of a full-on basement shop renovation (walls, power, door, organizing everything, deploying tools that have been in storage) I've had to move everything at least once. It's like one of those kid's puzzles with the little square plastic frame with the sliding parts with only one open space; to move anything, you need to move everything. Uggh. I've been toiling on this project since Thanksgiving.

The construction is done, and it was time to move everything to where it's all supposed to live. I moved the finger brake on rollers, but the shear had to get up onto a machine table, and it's so crowded still that there's no place to erect an engine hoist, and for manpower there was myself and my wife. She's plenty strong, and has carried more than her share of 5 years of house renovation crap, but one end of a 24" DiAcro shear is almost more than I can manage myself.

Then I spied an old plywood & particle board benchtop that was destined for the dump. I leaned it up against the machine table and drilled a series of 3/8" holes up it's length, about 8" apart at the bottom, lessening toward the top. I wrestled the shear onto the ramp, and as I heaved it up in increments, my wife would insert a bolt into the next hole to arrest it's attempts to give in to gravity. She even asked "are these strong enough because they're loaded in shear?". Gotta love it. Once the thing was hanging out over the table, it was easy to grab the bottom of the plank and allow the shear to rest on the table. We weasled the table top out from under it, and it all took about 10 minutes and not much actual exertion.

It's on top of it's table, and our backs are intact. Clever, those Egyptians.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/motomoron/DSC02889.jpg

Lew Hartswick
01-02-2007, 01:20 AM
It's on top of it's table, and our backs are intact. Clever, those Egyptians.

Hmmmmm! Didn't know the Egyptians had particle board. :-)
...lew...

Scatterplot
01-02-2007, 01:32 AM
I did the same thing with my lathe, sans the safety bolts- that's a good idea :) I used a couple 6 or 7 ft 2x4's with 2 ~14" 2x4's bracing between them- four pieces of wood total. My bench is L-shaped so I didn't have to spin it or anything- very easy.

Tin Falcon
01-02-2007, 03:10 AM
The incline plane is a wonderfull tool. Years ago I was sent by my boss to pick up a generator by myself in a van. In retrospect I thing it was a setup and they expected failure. I found some old wood loaded the thing myself and returned. They were amased that I got this thing in the van and asked me how I did it . I just told them it was no problem never told them how.
Tin

Your Old Dog
01-02-2007, 06:28 AM
She even asked "are these strong enough because they're loaded in shear

There's only so many good ones to go around and you managed to snag one! Congratulations!

Swarf&Sparks
01-02-2007, 09:41 AM
Gotta add my congratulations to that, MM.
Last woman I heard mention shear, was the "shear hell" of my workshop.
You've got a diamond there.

Scishopguy
01-02-2007, 01:06 PM
My compliments on solving the problem with a simple but elegant solution. The most important thing I learned about life in general is that you need to be able to get your treasures home and moved around with a minimum of "hired" help. I have found that if you have some 4' lengths of 1"pipe, a pinch bar, a jack, and some timbers, you can retrieve most anything. The army has an excellent tech manual called something like "Rigging for the combat engineer" that is a collection of the best solutions for solving moving and erecting problems. My copy is in the bookshelf in my shop in Arkansas right now or I'd quote the title and TM # for you. It can be had at most army/ navy surplus stores for $5.

I acquired an old Carey iron jamb safe for free if I could remove it. Out came the boards, come along, and chains. She followed me home without a problem.

As for the room rearrangement puzzle, you might try making a scale drawing with boxes drawn to scale for each piece of equipment. Label them accordingly and move them around until you get something that looks close to what you think will work. Then you only have to move it once.

ttok
01-02-2007, 06:09 PM
Motomoron - Things would have gone a little easier if you had removed the front table and even the two shear blades first. The blades are easy to reposition and all 3 would have removed another 30# from the lift. Configured as you lifted it, it weighed about 260# - olympic weightlifter stuff! Otherwise, great ideas!

I had to disassemble my 24" Di-Acro finger brake down to the base casting and lift it onto the stand by myself! Wife weighs less than it does. Did use an engine lift on the 36" finger brake and the 36" shear, however! Still have the 24" Di-Acro press brake to put on its stand - not looking forward to that! Since it weighs 320# without the punch and die, the engine lift will have to be positioned somehow to lift it!

Incidentally, I have 12 Di-Acro machines, and have recently ordered parts from Acrotech, the new owners. They have very good service!

You have to move with your mind, and not with your back. A.T.

Wirecutter
01-03-2007, 11:45 AM
ttok is right. Because of recent surgery, I was restricted to lifting nothing more than about 10 lbs. Consider that a 12-pack of soda (or beer) probably weigh more than that. It's also nearly impossible to keep me out of the shop!

I learned that a lot of things can be moved by just kicking them across the floor, but in the shop, it's all ramps, ropes, and the trusty engine hoist.

It might look funny, or a bit extreme, but I've moved my Bridgeport vice and the 12" K&T rotary table with the hoist. (Ok, well once I talked my wife into lifting the vice onto the mill table.) The hoist is great, but it would be pretty ungainly in a tight space.

I'm going to look for the book on the combat engineer's guide to moving and rigging. That sounds like a gem.

-Mark

Wirecutter
01-03-2007, 11:50 AM
Hmmmmm! Didn't know the Egyptians had particle board. :-)
...lew...
I didn't know that, either. They certainly had all the required technology for it, though. Ok, well they didn't have tractor-trailer sized roller presses for smashing it together, but I'm sure they could have managed something. :D They had all those big stones, and of course, a bunch of Hebrew "braseros". :D

"...and after all, even in Egypt
The pharohs
Had to import
Hebrew braseros..."
-the song "George Murphy", by Tom Lehrer

-Mark