PDA

View Full Version : Filing and sanding on the lathe.

Wess
01-03-2007, 11:30 PM
Hello,
I've read many times about using a tool post grinder and the damage the grit can do to a lathe. How about filing and sanding with emery cloth? It seems to me that emery cloth would be as bad, however I've never seen the warning to cover everything as I have with the grinding.

moldmonkey
01-03-2007, 11:36 PM
I don't think you can be too careful when it comes to your machines ways.
That said I don't cover the ways when using emery cloth but I do wipe the ways often even when making chips.

chrsbrbnk
01-04-2007, 12:12 AM
we always cover with a rag for sanding and usually for heavier filing. and don't clean your file by whacking it on the cross slide sorta like eating peas with a knife.

Swarf&Sparks
01-04-2007, 02:38 AM
I always use light oil or WD40 when finishing on the lathe.
Scotchbrite is good too, and doesn't seem to dump abrasive grains everywhere.
That's the real Scotchbrite, not "green pot-scourer".

Mcgyver
01-04-2007, 07:19 AM
it puts out a lot less crap than grinding and its going to tend to drop rather than spray from the momentum of stuff coming off a wheel at thousands of rpm so its not as bad, but i do agree the lathe should be protected. i always cover the ways up with paper towel. pot magnets are a good hold down. paper towels are better imo, don't like the idea of a rag around anything revolving as it can grab.

Wirecutter
01-04-2007, 01:33 PM
I do a bit of filing and some sanding on the lathe (emery cloth - that sort of thing). I move the carriage out of the way, cover it, cover the tailstock, ways, etc. Afterwards, the cover is carefully removed and shaken off elsewhere, and the entire area is vacuumed with the trusty shop vac.

It might be nice not to have the need, or to have a separate "junker" lathe for such operations, but I can get a nice finish on a turned part using these methods.

-Mark