PDA

View Full Version : Ebay working for you again!

CCWKen
01-04-2007, 03:09 PM
An important part of any business strategy is the regular evaluation of pricing structure. From time to time, we make pricing changes to correct unhealthy dynamics in the eBay marketplace, as was the case last July. Typically, however, we make changes on an annual basis at the beginning of the year.

Today, I'm here to tell you about fee adjustments for eBay.com and eBay Motors which go into effect on January 30, 2007.
Let me say that, while we believe these changes are modest, we consider any changes that may impact our sellers with great care. These adjustments are the result of careful analysis and we believe they're the right thing to do to keep the marketplace strong for our eBay.com and eBay Motors sellers.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/CCWKen/Displays/MWSnap023.jpg

How do they make it sound so nice while bending you over a barrel and lubing you with a salt water slush? "Careful analysis"? "Right thing to do"? All "FOR" the benefit of the sellers. Yea, right. :rolleyes:

It's so nice of them to raise my costs over 14% in six months. Wow! What a benefit I'm getting. And a kiss on the cheek too.

dp
01-04-2007, 03:29 PM
Unless you're not passing along the fees that increase is levied against the bidder/purchaser. Same thing happens when business taxes go up.

BadDog
01-04-2007, 03:32 PM
Not in this case, unless it's a "buy it now". For an auction, the high bidder pays what the high bid happens to be. So increased fees come right out of the sellers profits. I suppose you could work it into the "shipping and handling", but the way people react to extras in that category, I doubt that would be an effective business decision.

Dawai
01-04-2007, 03:36 PM
You mention you are passing ebay fees onto the buyer? they cancel your ad.. and you do not get a refund.

DirtDobber
01-04-2007, 03:58 PM
ThieveBay and gayPal have continued to jack pricing every year.
They are the same company. You are reamed from both the buggers.

Thievebay stock is down 25% from 1 year ago and they are only worried about keeping investors happy. Their lack of reputation for enforcement of their so called "bid is a contract", pi$$poor shippers who can't correctly pad a tampon without damage; it goes on and on.

Many sellers particularly in the industrial categories now openly refuse PP due to the fees. Some sellers say that for PP acceptance add 3% to total. I had not heard of any ad cancellation due to that previously and would be interested to hear of it first hand; someone that's had it happen to them with the listing as demonstration.

Its quite easy to "pad" your listing; simply never mention it. The terms are all stated up front, at least in most cases. If not, steer clear!

May they RIP (rot in pieces).
I give it up quite a while back except for the occasional petty thingy.

halac
01-04-2007, 04:08 PM
Not in this case, unless it's a "buy it now". For an auction, the high bidder pays what the high bid happens to be. So increased fees come right out of the sellers profits. I suppose you could work it into the "shipping and handling", but the way people react to extras in that category, I doubt that would be an effective business decision.

That's what I do with every sale I've done. It is added as a "handling fee", just like a buyers premium at a live auction.

When I buy something from eBay I expect the seller to include said fees in his final price. I expect it as part of regular business practices. Anyone in business should always add this to their "retail" pricing, otherwise you lose your profits.

Now on the other hand, eBay doing such a drastic raise in their fee structure in a short period of time is not such a good business practice. They should have anticipated these increases much earlier and made small incremental changes over a longer period of time rather than sudden large ones. Gradual change is accepted much better.

Wirecutter
01-04-2007, 04:10 PM
You mention you are passing ebay fees onto the buyer? they cancel your ad.. and you do not get a refund.

Very true, but if you want to get around it, charge the ever-popular "handling fees".

Looks like eBay has gotten too big for their britches. We're (going?) back to square one, where you don't know who you're dealing with but you're paying a premium for the priviledge. Used to be there were good deals on fleabay all the time, but those are now few and far between. Look for craigslist to horn in, I hope.

So where are we going to find good used machinery now?

-Mark
:mad:

CCWKen
01-04-2007, 04:40 PM
Some sellers say that for PP acceptance add 3% to total. I had not heard of any ad cancellation due to that previously and would be interested to hear of it first hand; someone that's had it happen to them with the listing as demonstration.
Ebay has a specific policy against it but like any other listing policy, a complaint from a reader is usually necessary to get the ad pulled. Ebay doesn't do much policing on their own. If someone complains about it, they will sometimes do something about it.

From a seller standpoint, it's difficult to include the extra costs because it's an auction. Of course, one could bump the starting price up or list with a reserve but these also add to the cost of a listing. I've generally had pretty good results with listing with a buy-it-now and including shipping. As long as it fits in one of the flat rate boxes, I can pin down my costs.

Also note that the increase doesn't effect Stores. I think Ebay is trying to get more to switch to Store listings as there's a monthly fee. There will be gripping for a while but all you'll see is the price of goods creeping up and the complaints will subside. Just like the price of gas.

dp
01-04-2007, 04:58 PM
If you want to establish a profit baseline you need to set a reserve to the amount you need to achieve that profit. That's how retail works. If there is a market for what you're selling at the price you're asking then it will sell. If not then you're going to eat it. That too is how retail works. Just because the item is listed on ebay does not mean market forces quit working.

John Stevenson
01-04-2007, 05:01 PM

-Mark

http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/

Alistair Hosie
01-04-2007, 05:44 PM
Listen I used to add ebay fees then ebay barred me for 2 months it is no joke you could disguise it what we need is an alternative to ebay that thinks more of its customers the seller rather than the buyers Alistair

BadDog
01-04-2007, 05:56 PM
Listen I used to add ebay fees then ebay barred me for 2 months it is no joke you could disguise it what we need is an alternative to ebay that thinks more of its customers the seller rather than the buyers Alistair
Huh? I thought that's what we had now. At least that's my perspective as a buyer. Can't leave negative feedback without retaliation no matter how much the seller deserves it, and no recourse either. Just keeping buyer and seller total/categorized feedback listed/viewable separate would be an improvement, though there should be some way to eliminate the retaliation. Not to mention any number of other complaints that constantly surface such as lack of response to shill evidence, seller not following through or substituting, and so on; unless they become so painfully blatant and clumsy that they can’t be ignored (at least for big sellers, small timers get pinched much more quickly).

Guess they can't make everyone (anyone?) happy...

halac
01-04-2007, 08:27 PM
http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/

Unfortunately for us Yanks, shipping is prohibitively high from the UK.

I bid on a robot toy that weighed about 1.5 lbs. and when I found out shipping was going to be over $35, I had to plead with the guy to let me off the hook. Amazingly he left me with a positive feedback. He was a real class act.

wmgeorge
01-04-2007, 09:15 PM
Unfortunately for us Yanks, shipping is prohibitively high from the UK.

I bid on a robot toy that weighed about 1.5 lbs. and when I found out shipping was going to be over $35, I had to plead with the guy to let me off the hook. Amazingly he left me with a positive feedback. He was a real class act.

I recall reading somewhere, perhaps an email from UPS, but they are bumping shipping fees up, high enough that I really now will do about anything to avoid shipping by UPS. I find the USPS Priority Mail and the Flat Rate boxes a real bargain. I see lots of stuff on eBay UK but I don't purchase because of the shipping costs. What happed to "free" trade, the shipping company's took care of that!!

Wayne02
01-04-2007, 09:37 PM
we make pricing changes to correct unhealthy dynamics in the eBay marketplace

"unhealthy dynamics in the marketplace"

Now that is rich!

I can just see myself explaining a price increase to my customers using a line like that... sheesh

wirewrkr
01-04-2007, 09:56 PM
the head honcho ( in this case honchess ) from Fleabay was on the telly the other night, Some show all about EBAY . Might have been called EBAY nation?
Anyway, they were not "nice" to her, constantly bringing up negative comments from consumers and ebay users and sellers alike. She was put on the spot more than once, including subjects that we all write about here.
My general impression was that Ebay doesn't give a sh*t about our complaints. I beleive she alluded to the idea that they aren't worried. Because their profits are way up, they can't be doing any thing wrong!
It was really sad to watch the arrogance at work. But I did enjoy the interviewer needling her.
Robert

YankeeMetallic
01-06-2007, 01:58 PM
Looks like eBay has gotten too big for their britches. ... Look for craigslist to horn in, I hope.
-Mark

Sorry to break the bad news to ya Wire. E-Bay bought the controlling interest in Craigslist about 2 years ago. Hmmm I wonder why?
E-Bay raising listing prices is ridiculous. As if they aren't making a killing as it is. They probably need to fund the much overdue customer service by phone center.

MadReferee
01-07-2007, 10:13 AM
Sorry to break the bad news to ya Wire. E-Bay bought the controlling interest in Craigslist about 2 years ago. Hmmm I wonder why?
E-Bay raising listing prices is ridiculous. As if they aren't making a killing as it is. They probably need to fund the much overdue customer service by phone center.Not so fast. Ebay bought a 25% share of CraigsList from a former CL employee in 2004. Jim Buckmaster and Craig Newmark still control the remaining 75% and control what CL does. There have been plenty of press releases and statements from both Ebay and CraigsList regarding the relationship. Do a little net searching and you will find them. Don't look for CL to become another Ebay anytime soon.

BillH
01-07-2007, 10:44 AM

-Mark
If you live near CT, there is no better place than www.bargainnews.com

For instance, a simple lookup of south bend just now, yields these 2 deals!

LATHE,
South Bend 10''. (203) 284-5054. Wallingford, CT

SOUTH BEND LATHE,
9" 3 1/2 ft bed, catalog #615-Z, $250. (860) 283-9532. Thomaston, CT

And if you type in southbend, notice no space, a 13" gear head south bend comes up, Now I wont post on here EVERYTHing you see for Bridgeport, but I did see a nice J head with power feed for 1800....

Locksmith
01-07-2007, 11:16 AM
Are you guys kidding me, or what?

Did even one of you notice that the Final Value fee percentage went DOWN?

It just kills me: Are you going to place a classified ad that 20 million people could possibly see? How much would that same ad cost, and yet it only reaches the people in your home town?
I have sold things all over the world that I never would have sold if not for ebay. I also got some of the greatest deals I've ever had, and on machine tool accessories at that, on ebay.
Has anybody who posted considered that you don't pay sales tax on items bought on ebay, except in your own state, unless a company has an office in your home state? Nobody ever thinks of the stuff that offsets the fees.

Honestly, do you guys go into a store and not realize that there are costs associated with that gallon of milk you're buying? It doesn't get on the shelf and sit there for free waiting for you to buy it, does it? So why is it so difficult to realize that ebay fees are a cost of doing business?

I'm sorry if I offend any body on this BB, but the level of ignorance about ebay and Paypal is ASTOUNDING ! Ask yourself the question: How does it exist if it's screwing everybody? Is it remotely possible that the people who feel like they've been screwed, might have gotten screwed, if they really did at all, because they don't know what they are doing, or they expected something to happen, that doesn't happen on ebay?

If you bid on something, and someone outbid you at the last minute, that's your problem, not ebays.
If you feel that you got something, that wasn't as depicted in the auction, Did you go back and read it again? If it's not right, did you try to communicate with the seller, or are you just pissing and moaning without ever asking for him to resolve it. and if he did resolve the problem, what are you complaining about?
Are you complaining about the ridiculus price someone wants for something? That's the seller, not ebay.

Locksmith
01-07-2007, 11:34 AM
I could understand if a person got a bad deal at a local store, he might not want to shop there again. BUT if that person said nothing to the owner about the problem and gave him no chance to resolve it, that's just spite and ignorance.
To go on ebay, and have a bad experience once, and judge 20 million other members by that experience, makes no sense. For every bad experience, how many great ones are there? What do you lose by not interacting with those other 20 million people, who might have something you want? (I paid $75.00 for a Starrett digital height gauge in a wooden box, barely used,on ebay. The book price was $300+. Would I have lost that deal?)
To put it another way: If you got a bad piece of meat in an A&P supermarket in Des Moines, and moved to Omaha 3 years later and lived across the street from an A&P, would you not shop there because of your past experience in Des Moines?
Let's reduce it to the rediculous a little more: If you got a bad piece of meat, would you stop eating meat?
If you are thinking that answering YES to both of these examples would be foolish, then you are getting my point about some peoples attitudes about ebay.

aboard_epsilon
01-07-2007, 12:01 PM
Locksmith
You may have had good deals on ebay in the past, like many of us have had ...
but they have been changing things in the last two years.

These changes are effecting our possible good deals

As well as the increasing rates
You have now...
No ability to search completed listings older than two weeks ...used to be as much as 9 months a couple off years ago

This will drive the prices up as newbies cannot re-search, now, prices of rare items that have sold in the past ...therefor cant see the prices they went for.
the only research they can now do is on machinery dealers grossly inflated prices ...and they will end up basing there bids on those prices ...so don't think your going to be getting any bargains for much longer ...it's ending soon !!!

We cannot now see bidders who are up against us ...ebays idea of helping us ...so that we don't get second chance offers ...only hides shill bidders now.

ebay is doing all it can to drive prices up ...so they get more percentage of their increased percentage....
in the end ....prices of second hand goods will be much or more, than brand new,Ive noticed that this is happening more and more, as the changes take place .

All the best.....mark

Frank Ford
01-07-2007, 12:26 PM
In 2004, the ratio of average CEO pay to the average pay of a production (i.e., non-management) worker was 431-to-1 . . . it's quite a leap year over year, and it ranks on the high end historically. In 1990, for instance, CEOs made about 107 times more than the average worker, while in 1982, the average CEO made only 42 times more. - - CNNMoney.com

Living with the level of corporate and personal greed we have, I hope nobody really expects eBay to act differently. As long as we buy their product, they'll attempt sell it to us a the highest price we will pay. Just, I might add, as do we, the sellers of items on ebay.

Personally, I find eBay's fees to be well within my level of tolerance considering the access to a worldwide market of buyers and sellers.

I'm with you, Locksmith. Ebay is an incredible resource. I've found any number of really obscure things there, and have sold some very specialized things for way more than I could ever get locally.

Cheers,

Frank Ford
FRETS.COM (http://www.frets.com)
Gryphon Stringed Instruments (http://www.gryphonstrings.com)
My Home Shop Pages (http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Machining/index.html)

John Stevenson
01-07-2007, 12:39 PM
We cannot now see bidders who are up against us ...ebays idea of helping us ...so that we don't get second chance offers ...only hides shill bidders now.
All the best.....mark

But even that isn't working.
They now look and see who bids up to 100 and note ebay names.
Once over 100 these change to bidder 1, bidder 2 etc but due to their homework they now know all bidders up to 100.

Now they have to wait and take a chance that one of these will come second or third, no matter who wins.

So now when they approach you over a second chance it's more likely they are genuine otherwise how do they know to contact you.

OK more work for them but they aren't second chancing 100 items but going for bigger fish.

What they should have done is scrap the second chance offer and make them relist.

Locksmith
01-07-2007, 12:55 PM
Mark,
I appreciate your comment, but read it again and think about what I'm saying:

The listing fee IS NOT a percentage; The Final Value Fee IS a Percentage and they've dropped the percentage. Remember, they don't get the FVF if the item doesn't sell. All they get, if the item doesn't sell, is the listing fee.

As for how long you can research, I am concerned with what an item is selling for NOW, not nine months ago. Think about it: people start selling "X" on ebay in June and are getting $10.00 for it. It takes off and around Christmas, you're lucky to find one for $25.00. What good does it do me to know I could have bought it for $10.00 6 months ago?

What's I think you're missing, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that this whole thing is market driven, but at the same time, the beginning pricing is at the discretion of the seller, but the end is controlled by the bidders. While everyone else may be selling "X" for $25.00, there will always be some one who sells it for $12.00 buy it now and is happy to make the profit he makes. Looking at past sales isn't going to help you find the guy that's selling cheap, and you can't do anything about the guy you're bidding against who is willing to pay $20.00 when you won't pay more than $18.00. Ebay only has control over what they charge, not what the customers pay.

Think about it. The Mona Lisa is worth millions, right? Why ? Because someone is willing to pay that for it. In reality, it has almost no value at all; you can't eat it or do anything with it but hang it on the wall. Conversely, what is the value of a pound rice in a place where people are starving? Much more than that painting could ever be worth, yet you could buy it here for a few cents. Am I making sense?

People piss and moan about ebay making money, like they are stealing it. Sorry, but I, and everyone else, wouldn't have the opportunities that are available if ebay weren't here. I sold an old model steam tractor to a guy in Australia who paid about double what I paid for it some years ago, and the postage. It was what he wanted, at a price that was fair to him(Remember, he chose the price, I didn't). I never would have reached that guy without ebay.

Locksmith
01-07-2007, 01:16 PM
Something else I left out of my last post:

Nobody mentions the zillions of sellers who sell things that they bought and no longer use, or never opened gifts, etc. I do a goodly amount of that. There's no "Profit" there, strictly speaking. If anything, it's salvage of some thing that was going to be thrown out. Ebay, by creating a huge market for things like this, is generating a huge amount of cash that would not otherwise be there.

What galls me is when people have the idea that If "Joe" makes a lot of money, there's less there for "Tom". This attitude is what propels class envy: He has it and I don't, and that's not fair and he should give me some of his.
There is not a finite amount of money; it doesn't work that way. Wealth can be created, which most people don't get. I'm not rich, but I sure as hell "Get it".
Example : An empty store. A guy rents it and starts a deli. He needs equipment, cold cuts, potato chips and all that. He has dozens of suppliers delivering to him. Somebody has to grow or make what he buys, and somebody gets paid to do it. Maybe a few new deli's open in the city and now the potato chip guy needs to buy another truck to service the area and hire another driver. Who's he buying the truck from? Did it help pay the guy who built it in Detriot? Is that guy spending his money on something else.
It's not hard to see. The guy who opened the deli has created wealth.

Last thing: When people complain about someone having "Too Much" money, I have to ask: When's the last time a poor man gave you a job?

Locksmith
01-07-2007, 01:16 PM
Mark,
I appreciate your comment, but read it again and think about what I'm saying:

The listing fee IS NOT a percentage; The Final Value Fee IS a Percentage and they've dropped the percentage. Remember, they don't get the FVF if the item doesn't sell. All they get, if the item doesn't sell, is the listing fee.

As for how long you can research, I am concerned with what an item is selling for NOW, not nine months ago. Think about it: people start selling "X" on ebay in June and are getting $10.00 for it. It takes off and around Christmas, you're lucky to find one for $25.00. What good does it do me to know I could have bought it for $10.00 6 months ago?

What's I think you're missing, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that this whole thing is market driven, but at the same time, the beginning pricing is at the discretion of the seller, but the end is controlled by the bidders. While everyone else may be selling "X" for $25.00, there will always be some one who sells it for $12.00 buy it now and is happy to make the profit he makes. Looking at past sales isn't going to help you find the guy that's selling cheap, and you can't do anything about the guy you're bidding against who is willing to pay $20.00 when you won't pay more than $18.00. Ebay only has control over what they charge, not what the customers pay.

Think about it. The Mona Lisa is worth millions, right? Why ? Because someone is willing to pay that for it. In reality, it has almost no value at all; you can't eat it or do anything with it but hang it on the wall. Conversely, what is the value of a pound rice in a place where people are starving? Much more than that painting could ever be worth, yet you could buy it here for a few cents. Am I making sense?

People piss and moan about ebay making money, like they are stealing it. Sorry, but I, and everyone else, wouldn't have the opportunities that are available if ebay weren't here. I sold an old model steam tractor to a guy in Australia who paid about double what I paid for it some years ago, and the postage. It was what he wanted, at a price that was fair to him(Remember, he chose the price, I didn't). I never would have reached that guy without ebay.

IOWOLF
01-07-2007, 01:39 PM
When you start judging worth by if you can eat it or not,You have no perspective,Your kidding right?

Sell your computer and get a bag of rice, at least you will not be here sticking up for Ebay.Do you own stock or what?

Joel
01-07-2007, 03:57 PM
Do you own stock or what?

Believe it or not, people who are capable of independent thought can form objective opinions about a group, even if they do not belong to the group.

IOWOLF
01-07-2007, 04:30 PM
Wow, was that Independent thought?

damn let me write that down.

tyrone shewlaces
01-07-2007, 04:37 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/CCWKen/Displays/MWSnap023.jpg

"Did even one of you notice that the Final Value fee percentage went DOWN?"

What???
Maybe the above chart is in error, but it looks to me that it went up. Anybody else notice that?

To me, the whole point of the matter is this:
eBay used to be a less expensive venue to use when selling items. When their rates were lower, they made a fortune but that wasn't enough.

Now that it's huge and they have no competitive venue, folks will use it whether it's more expensive or not. Is it still worth the cost? Maybe, but that 's not the point. Since they have monopoly power, they will charge whatever they want even if they could still make fortunes charging at the old rate.

If they could suddenly triple their rates without causing an uproar, they would. No, they will follow the proven method of increasing their slice of the pie in small increments continuously over time, counting on consumers' short-term memory and general complacency, until they reach their dream rate, then increase it some more.

There's a big problem today. This is not a democracy, it's a monocracy. Monopolies are everywhere and there isn't much in place to keep them in check (really the opposite). How many millions is enough for a guy to have before going beyond it seen as abusive? As for me, a single million would ensure that I wouldn't have to worry about money for the rest of my life. For others it is more and I won't squabble over a few pennies. But to make $100M (or even $10M) - per year - in personal income is a lot folks! You have to be certain that the people in the trenches making that money for you feel the pinch when the guy running their company is raking in that much. Thinking otherwise is plain stupid. I'm not sorry if I step on somebody's toes by saying that there just isn't anybody on the planet whos work is worth $10M per year, let alone $200M or so.

Would I keep $10M if my company made it? Probably (it will never happen anyway), but only if they guys on the lowest rungs of the ladder do well too. One thing I can tell you, there ought to be a law that noone makes obscene money in any company unless the janitor makes at least 4X minimum wage or so, and progressively up from there for the other employees. It's a simple concept. It will never happen.

There are tons of collective effects. Off the top of my head I know that just a percentage of these obscene incomes gurantee that retirement for all of us peasants will be very tough. Thanks for the reward for my 100,000 hours of service :mad: .

Meanwhile, back off the tangent...
eBay is one of those monopolies, like it or not. Maybe they aren't the worst of them, but don't try and tell me they are simply adjusting their fees to correct problems with their pricing structure. Spade be called a spade, they are hiking their fees so they can rake in more cash. They don't need to, they are just doing it because they can.

They won't collapse. We won't go without food because of this one company's actions. They won't cause ecological disaster from global warming. Supply & demand blah, blah blah. Doesn't make it right. Doesn't mean they don't contribute to the problem.

It won't change and my rant here does nothing but make me feel better for a moment. Actually I'm sure it will all just get worse. No, I'm not optimistic at all.

To hear corparate greed be defended tends to get me pretty riled up.

aboard_epsilon
01-07-2007, 05:00 PM
Locksmith ...will spell it out

Looking at it from me the bidders and bargain hunters perspective ...I hardly sell on ebay ...so don't look at it from that direction

No research on prices ..
So newbies bid things up to whatever they like...usully ...in there minds ...is they have seen that similar machine like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/8-ENGRAVING-MACHINE-Deckel-GK21-3-DIMENSION_W0QQitemZ150069832761QQihZ005QQcategoryZ 633QQcmdZViewItem

These above are on week after week...month after month... on ebay and never sell, there are several sellers doing this ...would not be surprised if ebay is offering them to list cheap in this mode laying the groundwork for their masterplan to drive prices up.

When I search UK ebay ...these American dealers ...and now a recent same style UK dealers come up in the search...when you cant find any of the items on show. ...selling the same machines week after week at astronomical prices

similar UK ebay tool dealer..

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/GTCNCSALES

So newbie thinks he has a bargain at half the price, if he wins said above similar machine for say $1000

When in reality ...similar machines have sold in the last 9 months for possibly under $200...only he cant search ....because in the last two weeks ...a machine like he was looking for wasn't listed. only listed by dealers above ...clever ..full stop.

Ebays "possible" masterplan revealed !!!!

I know now, there are people who are going to disagree with me on this ...I'm not going to argue any further ...remember these are my thoughts....and I'm not much cop at defending myself anyway ...

LAY INTO ME ALL YOU LIKE :( ..OR PRAISE ME :) ...THAT WOULD BE BETTER ...LOL

all the best.mark

BillH
01-07-2007, 05:00 PM
Oh geez, just don't start talking about income re-distribution... The biggest problem with Ebay is that they have no competition. They need competition to drive the prices back down or your going to get ass reamed.
As for CEO's and what not, it is the shareholders that determine their bonuses...
Yes, there is an imbalance. Good for the imbalance, if everything was equal we would be stinking communists with no desire to improve ones life through hard work to be rewarded for it. I don't care for this blue collar / white collar race wars debate either, theres plenty of rich blue collars and plenty of poor white collars. There is no other country in the entire world that gives you the opportunity to be exactly what you want to be. If you fail to meet your own goals, that is your own fault.

Locksmith
01-07-2007, 07:39 PM
Mark,

You miss the point ! If someone, a "Newbie", buys something that's over priced, whose fault is that? Nothing else matters...He CHOSE to buy it. No one, not ebay or anyone, forced him to do anything.

Look, if you can buy a soda at the store down the block for $1.65, but you can buy the same soda two blocks away for $1.00 and you don't feel like walking two blocks, does that make the guy down the block a thief because you paid his price?

Ebay is only a market place, they don't sell the stuff.

Locksmith
01-07-2007, 08:01 PM
Just curious...

You guys that keep talking about ebay's master plan...What's YOUR master plan?
What would you do differently if you ran ebay? Do us all a favor and tell us what you would do and not what you wouldn't do. Explain why your plan would work, if you're so certain that it will.

Mark, You admitted that you have little experience on ebay. Would you please explain why you are so certain that you know enough about it that you can preach to others? What you seem to be saying is that sellers on ebay take advantage of other people. If this were the case, why would the business be as huge as it is?

Sorry, but you seem to leave out the idea of personal responsibility on behalf of the buyer. No one is twisting anyones arm to buy. People buy overpriced stuff all the time. Whether it's over priced is in the eye of the buyer, is it not? Maybe you wouldn't spend $100.00 on some collectible, and the next guy will. Again, is the seller taking advantage? NO.

IOWOLF
01-07-2007, 08:12 PM
Well this is not Economics class, and besides IT"S A SECRET,Duh why would I tell every one here if I knew.

Locksmith
01-07-2007, 08:22 PM
Mark, I looked at your post again.

The reason those items are on that UK site for months on end is because ebay stores get a lower rate to list items, but they get less exposure. Not one of the items in the store was an auction. You are completely missing the point of "Best Offer". Are you aware that some one can offer the guy 200 for the machine that he's selling for 2000? And that he can counter offer?
I have an ebay store and i get a lower rate to list items as store inventory. No kidding. What do I lose ? It's not as easy to find my item. It's going to be behind some body who starts an auction at .01, and I am never, ever going to get anything more than my fixed price. In fact, if I use Best Offer, I could conceivably get LESS than my asking price.
The advantage is being able to stock the store just like a real store; It cost's money to have things on a shelf in a store and it does on ebay. Another advantage is the huge customer base on ebay. I sell things to people all over the world. Another is that the listings are 30 days long and repeat automatically.
None of this is free, you know. I have to pay that ebay bill every month to run that store.
Again, your point about what something was selling for 9 months ago makes no sense. You are assuming that the "Newbie" has no place else to do research but ebay, and that's not "fair". If a person is about to spend $1000.00 on a machine and he doesn't do his homework, well... Why can't he check prices from regular dealers in these machines. This is known as "Due Dilligence"; you are responsible to make INFORMED decisions.

aboard_epsilon
01-07-2007, 08:57 PM
locksmith .

you're...coming across as a seller not a buyer ...my argument is for the buyer..
the way things are going I'm not going to be one anymore ...that's my say on this.

prices are getting out of hand ...bargains are drying up ..the only bargains i can find are by doing mis spelt or badly described search now

you carry on selling to the gullible .good luck.

the newbie drives the prices up for us all ...he cant search ..he pays what he thinks is the going rate ....that going rate, that he has deduced from looking at the long-term astronomically priced items ...ends up ..."the new going rate" when several others, like sheep follow...i don't care what they get landed with ...

i just care that the next time i go for anything ...because of the crappy history search ...prices will rise on everything ...and they have been doing just that.

and every one of them guys shop inventory's can be found on the main search.

my argument is from my perspective as a buyer ...as a seller yes i agree its its ok.....sort of.

days of bargains on ebay are over ...

another reason that the bargains are over is the new phase inverters ...which where not so common when i bought most of my stuff.

bought myself a big rotary converter ...and i was in there bidding and buying ...three phase machines that no one wanted for a song.

the phase inverter being cheap to buy...and getting cheaper by the month.. has made these machines accessible to all ......they also want the tooling ...so there is more competition and more bidding ...and prices are rising.

add all this to above ...and you can see the bargains will end shorty....think they've just about ended now....they are definitely harder to find ...than three or four years ago.

inexperienced ...ive sold about 10 items and bought about 100 ...I dont know.

and i dont know how to make you understand ...so this is my last post on this ..

all the best.mark