PDA

View Full Version : (OT) Haggis Hunt (Scotts Only)

GKman
01-05-2007, 06:36 AM
http://haggishunt.scotsman.com/

Haggiscams! Arn't technology great?

Your Old Dog
01-05-2007, 06:54 AM
edited ..................

Norman Atkinson
01-05-2007, 07:50 AM
Sorry, I was musing on 'Holy Willie's Prayer' before doing 'Selkirk Grace'

Just amuse yourselves- if you must

Craigellachie, Stand Fast- the cry o' the Grants.

Norm

Alistair Hosie
01-05-2007, 09:06 AM
close down this filth:D the mountain haggis is dead and buried:DAlistair

Norman Atkinson
01-05-2007, 09:35 AM
Nope Alistair- merely waiting for someone to give it a drink o'the malt and its legs will grow again. Two short legs on one side and two on the other.Great for circling mountains- and things. Or am I confusing it with the Ouzle Woozle bird?

Alistair, I'm now on my way to my 77th year- and my memory, and my memory and my------- how the time flies?

This should be fun if I can keep sober long enough to -to- to .Two , 2 or well, never mind.

Norm

And A- who's this lucky girl- Miss-Fortune?
Hic

Alistair Hosie
01-05-2007, 10:48 AM
She was having some dental treatment like hugh jarse or huge arse which is what it sounds like I phoned the surgery asked if we had a hugh jarse booked in for that afternoon the dumb receptionist could be heard calling in the background huge arse do we have a huge arse etc couldnt stop laughing dumbo well miss fortune or hugh jarse take care my friend have one on me :DAlistair

A.K. Boomer
01-05-2007, 11:27 AM
So is a haggis a Platapus? they look alot alike u know.

Alistair Hosie
01-05-2007, 12:18 PM
Haggis is a sheeps stomach filled with oats spices and stuff and not an animal at all sorry to dissapoint can you get it in the beautiful states of America?? I should think so if you buy haggis get grants haggis in a can its really moist and tatsy highly recommended and no I don't own the company otherwise it would be called big Al's haggis in a tin moisty and tast so as there would be no ambiguiyt involved and in small print it would say no animals killes other than a sheeps stomach so feel easy when eating it Alistair :D

malbenbut
01-05-2007, 12:22 PM
[QUOTE=Alistair Hosie]Haggis is a sheeps stomach filled with oats spices and stuff and not an animal at all )
I dont believe you
MBB

ronm
01-05-2007, 12:28 PM
Two short legs on one side and two on the other.Great for circling mountains- and things. Or am I confusing it with the Ouzle Woozle bird?

Norm

And A- who's this lucky girl- Miss-Fortune?
Hic

Hey Norm, here in the Rocky Mts, that's called a sidehill galoot...
Ron in CO...

Norman Atkinson
01-05-2007, 12:54 PM
I was in the Sue Ryder shop in Aviemore- a very important charity shop nationally in the UK- and they had a nest which after hatching, they brought down from the Cairngorms- which next to Ben Nevis are Britain's highest whatsits. I was later in Grantown on Spey and another shop had another nest, so it must be true.

Obviously, there are not many and the whereabouts are kept a closely guarded secret which are handed down from father to eldest son on the death bed of the former. It's bit like the length of Scottish sporrans and the the relationship to what is worn or unworn under the kilt. It certainly isn't stuff that to be bandied about to all and sundry. It's man's talk when the wee drams are passed around the peat fire in the Butt and Bhein- when the wind is blowing down the Lairig Ghru- the Foreboding Way to the Sassenachs.
When the Fergus O'More howls around the Shelter Stone by Loch Avon below Ben MacDhui, ye'll hear the auld 'uns talk and ye pull yer plaid tightly around yer shoulders before ye skip haeme to the wifey in yer ghillies.

Mon that's no for the likes of some.

Well, that's enough of that

Norm

Alistair Hosie
01-05-2007, 02:11 PM
Norm I told you before theres nothing worn under my kilt it's all in good working order:DAlistair

malbenbut
01-05-2007, 02:26 PM
Whats kept in the sporran or is that just used to stop you lifting up the kilt in adverse weather when you need to answer natures call.
MBB

Allan Waterfall
01-05-2007, 03:45 PM
Haggis is a sheeps stomach filled with oats spices and stuff and not an animal at all sorry to dissapoint :D
That's just a myth perpetuated by all people north of the wall to stop the wild ones being hunted.
Shame on you for telling people such a blatant untruth.

Allan

Norman Atkinson
01-05-2007, 03:47 PM
Malcolm,
the sporran is to a haggis is what a pouch is to a kangaroo.

Obviously, a sporran with hold three tasselled hagii. You would see them coming out for a breather- and living so close to hairy Scots, who would blame them?

The ignorance of these Geordies. Mutter, Mutter

Norm

old-biker-uk
01-05-2007, 03:56 PM
Proof if proof be needed - snapped this one sleeping off some serious over-indulgence at New Year. Sorry it' not a better picture but I was afraid of waking him/her/it if I got too close
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/remark/pages/Temp/images/haggis.jpg

Norman Atkinson
01-05-2007, 04:20 PM
Obviously, one on its annual migration to the Deep South.

You were so right not to disturb this almost extinct creature.
Mark, do you realise that people are serving something called Vegetarian Haggis?

Of course, being a Francophile- nasty but you will slowly improve- there is the French one called a " Hachis" I do not mince words, there is such a beast.

By the 25th of this month- note the precise date, is the Open Season for the poor creatures. They are served, the Heavens preserve us, with neeps- whatever they are, tatties which must have a French connection from the Auld Alliance Francaise and a gentleman of the name of Jacques Tati who appeared in Mon Oncle and Mr Hulot's Holiday and many other films which I studied- as an alternative to engineering.

Of course, Marc will want Saumur( Some More) on his various Tours.

A votre sante

Norm

Alistair Hosie
01-05-2007, 04:31 PM
leave the poor wee craturs alone whit herm hiv they dun yeh eh there just timerous wee beasties thats awe.In mah sporran theres a real big hairy hagiss not been disturbed othir than tae cum oot for a wee wee each nicht ah hiv tae intice it wuh a lump oh chocolit ach yoos boays wull nehver learn.:DAlistair

zopi
01-05-2007, 04:42 PM
Was in Glagow and Helensburgh a couple summers back...don't know about the
haggis...but i'd kill for a good chippie.

hey, hey diddle ei o! hey hee, diddly ei o!

I don't know where ya been my boy but i see ya won first prize!

Norman Atkinson
01-05-2007, 04:55 PM
And you missed Deep Fried Mars Bars? Ah, cordon bleu.

To think that we extradited- err, exported Billy Connolly to bring learning to the masses. You'll just have to come back for a Fish supper or the odd mealy puddin'. Make a man o'yer!

malbenbut
01-05-2007, 05:00 PM
Vegetarian haggis, no such thing, they are ferocious carnivores and must not be allowed to escape from the sporran by the back flap. Many a Scotsman talk with a high pitched voice (reference Rod Stewart) owing to this.
The main prey of the haggis are sheeps extremeties, sheep that have been attacked by the haggis are known as wethers and bleat with a blood curdling bleat. Sheep that are heard when being attacked let out a scream not unsimilar to an out of tune bagpipe however few can tell the difference.
MBB

Norman Atkinson
01-05-2007, 05:25 PM
The shepherds after all this castration- and they say that it hurts are known to mumble as the sheep go past

Yain, tain, edderea, peddera,pit, tayter, overa, covera dix.
If there is more than 10 they go
Yain a dix, tain a dix, eddera a dix, peddera a dix and somewhat desperately at 15 go bumfit, yain a bumfit and so on.

This is why so little engineering goes on, we simply can't come to terms with counting over 20. For those further South in Teesdale even the words are forbidden but Yan a d1ck. tean a d1ck and at 20, jiggit!

and if you think I am joking- it is quite true. And my family of Scottish Border descent counted that way.

Keen students will recognise the Norman French connection. The French are very fond of their d!cks.

Norm

Alistair Hosie
01-05-2007, 05:45 PM
Helensburgh is just over the hill from me there is a good chippie and also a good Chinese restaurant where you can get a 3 course mid day meal for under a fiver not bad eh?Alistair

Evan
01-05-2007, 06:44 PM
Helensburgh is just over the hill from me there is a good chippie and also a good Chinese restaurant where you can get a 3 course mid day meal for under a fiver not bad eh?Alistair
You must come to visit sometime Alistair. We have an annual celebration here in conjunction with Burn's Night.

As we have a considerable population of immigrants from China that worked alongside the Scots engineers to drive the railroad through this fair province a considerable combining of the cultures has taken place.

Gung Haggis Fat Choy, celebrated by all...

http://www.gunghaggisfatchoy.com/blog/RobbieBurnsDay

Of course, having survived nearly four decades of visiting and dealing with the Scots in the persons of my wife's side of the family I find non o' the dialect particularly difficult to understand any longer. It comes as second nature, somewhat as a bodily function.

Of course Mr. Burns distinguished himself by discovering the only rhyme for the word "purple".

I'd be mair vauntie o' my hap,
Douce hingin' owre my curple,
Than ony ermine ever lap,
Or proud imperial purple.

Alistair Hosie
01-05-2007, 07:16 PM
Hey Evan I am still waiting for you to come here anytime bonnie lad anytime you and your fair lady are to treat my home as your own dinnah forget Alistair

old-biker-uk
01-05-2007, 07:29 PM
Ahh - Helensburgh haunt of my lost youth - memories of the many Widow's Hops attended, Sundays when the only place to get a drink was a hotel & a chippie van that called at Faslane selling black pudden (us nasty submariners called them something totally un-PC) & chips for about 2/- (that's two old shillings - 10 New Pence)
Mark

Alistair Hosie
01-05-2007, 07:42 PM
They are locally called un pc darkies wallopers.:D oops this thread will be banned nowAlistair

Evan
01-05-2007, 07:43 PM
Hah. Don't be too surprised if we turn up on your doorstep someday Alistair. One of these days we are going to make a trip to Scotland. I shan't forget your offer, thanks.

zopi
01-05-2007, 09:35 PM
And you missed Deep Fried Mars Bars? Ah, cordon bleu.

To think that we extradited- err, exported Billy Connolly to bring learning to the masses. You'll just have to come back for a Fish supper or the odd mealy puddin'. Make a man o'yer!

prefer fried snickers..napalm on a stick..

There is a kickin' little restaurant just off of George Square in
Glasgow that has excellent Colcanon and Guiness sausage..

come to think of it, just up the hill from the train station in Helensburgh
there is a very nice little italian joint...damn good indian place down on the strand too...ahh...vindaloo!

I was onboard USS Arleigh Burke (Already Broke) when she was in...
I have to love Scotland, my grandmother was a Hamilton, and my Grandfather was a George..never did figure out exactly where grandpa's folks were from, but grandma's were from the central highlands somewhere..or so I'm told.

Damn. I want a pint of Belhaven and a good single malt now...

rockrat
01-05-2007, 10:06 PM
Man! All the good topics are beat to death by the time I get home.

The only way I would eat Haggis is by crossing the pond and finding a bit. Us yanks could never cook it good enough to eat. The closest thing that we have is tripe. And I have yet to find anyone thaqt can cook it good enough to eat.

Opossum, yup, I tried it. My aunts grandmother cooked it up once, only cause I told her she couldnt make it taste decent. I was wrong. While not the best dish I have ever had, it was well above the tripe.

Haggis??? Maybe when I'm over there next year I'll have some.... with a Guinness of course.

http://www.bartender.com/2fun/smiles/drinkpals.gif http://forums.govteen.com/images/smilies/drink.gif
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/image.php?u=449&dateline=1130924005

Sorry, had to be done. Just back from the pub and all.

rock-

wbleeker
01-06-2007, 02:56 AM
Hey you blokes have got it wrong ? Bloody Helensburgh is on the way to Sydney! Not over there, or did they steal the name?, Helensburgh NSW Australia is not very far from where Lawrence Hargeave did those early kite flights at Bald Hill Stanwell Park.
Will

Norman Atkinson
01-06-2007, 04:42 AM
Will,
Was Lawrence Hargreave related to the English Reginald Hargreave?
Nothing to do with haggis, nothing to do with - well, sort of most things.
The question could be to do with Mad Hatters, Red Queens, White Kings and March Hares. I doubt that one could quickly Google an answer but the clue is the Greek-English Lexicon.

Thanks

Norm

Alistair Hosie
01-06-2007, 04:21 PM
Helensburgh is where John Logie Baird pioneer of television. His father was church minister there it is a nice little seaside town not in my opinion as nice as Dunoon :D Alistair

Timleech
01-06-2007, 05:16 PM
Forget all this haggis nonsense.
I've just had a very good mutton pie for my supper, another traditional bit of Scots fare. Made by my Southern English wife with New Zealand mutton, very tasty it was, too.
Actually a bit of freshly killed haggis makes a good dish, but it has to come with new young white neeps.

Tim

old-biker-uk
01-06-2007, 05:35 PM
That's done it - I just knew someone would mention mutton pies (yuk), I will now have to go & lie down in a dark room with a large glass of Bunderburg OP.
Mark

Norman Atkinson
01-06-2007, 05:42 PM
Alistair,
Sorry, nothing to do with Logie Baird or Yogi Bear, this 'Hargreave' question. I'm in the midst( of time) no- family history. Hargreave could have been another bit in the jigsaw which links to Alice in Wonderland.
Reginald Hargeave married Alice Pleasance Liddell who was the 'real' Alice of whom Dodgson- or Lewis Carroll wrote. My references to some of the characters was not to confuse.

Tim,
I would have thought that 'Wind in the Willows' or Darlington's book
" Narrow Dog to Carcassonne" would be more your style. This haggis business has no watery connections as far as I am aware. Its a creature of the high hills and not canals.

Mutton pies, mutton pies--- trying to make us all jealous!

Humph?

Norm

Mutton pies? You must have your poor Liz wrapped around your little finger.

thistle
01-06-2007, 06:04 PM
pies , stop talking about pies - here is something iI knocked up earlier, bit of
Aberdeen Angus , soaked in export Guinness(7.5% alcohol)for 2 days .........................

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/mudskipper/pieemail.jpg

Alistair Hosie
01-06-2007, 07:08 PM
MMMMhhh can I come over you got me mouf watering you teaser you.:DAlistair

topct
01-06-2007, 07:34 PM
I have looked up various recipes for Haggis and Mutton Pies.

The traditional ingredients for one of them are not for sale around here.

speedsport
01-06-2007, 08:35 PM
I think you guys should try some Rocky Mountain Oysters

topct
01-06-2007, 09:18 PM
I think you guys should try some Rocky Mountain Oysters

Have you? I want to. Never have. But people I trust with good taste say they are very good.

They don't seem to be able to get any of them from there to here. :D