PDA

View Full Version : Machine Tools and Household Chemicals

BigBoy1
01-06-2007, 01:23 PM
Perhaps I'm the only one but would like to advise others on a problem that I encountrered. I had not had a problem with rust on my lathe but then I noticed that with in a week of oiling the ways, slight surface rust would be forming. I keep cleaning it off and keep looking at the humidity in my shop but it had not changed. I then discovered that my wife put the pail of dry chlorine chemicals for the hot tub in my shop, near my lathe. She thought that she had but the top on tight but it was not tightly shut and the chlorine was "leaking" out and causing the rust. I put the lid on tight and moved the pail of dry chlorine to the garage and the rust stopped forming on my lathe. There are many other household chemicals that can be hazardous to metals. Muriatic acid is used as another hot tub chemical and it can cause problems with metals. Moral of the story, make sure the chemical are tightly sealed and stored away from machine tools.

Bill

miker
01-06-2007, 04:13 PM
Bill, I had a similar experience recently.
I wanted to lift my lathe so I could Silicone around the Tray mounting holes because oil and coolant were leaking into the cabinet stands.
Purchased a brand new Chinese Engine hoist, assembled it and set it up over the lathe with the bright plated hook and chain hanging about a foot above the chuck ready to sling and lift the next day.
Next day the top and front of the chuck had surface surface rust covering about 180 degrees.
My thought is that the bright plating involves some sort of Acid Bath and was not cleaned of the hook and chain properly. I cleaned the plated parts with Kero.
We don't usually suffer from humidity induced rust where I am. I am certain it was the engine hoist.

Rgds

bfburk
01-06-2007, 06:19 PM
I think the source of your surface rust could be the silicone. If the silicone smelled like strong vinegar it will outgas acetic acid as it sets up. Thanks for the info on the hypochlorite and muriatic acid. Informative post, thanks.:)

miker
01-06-2007, 10:27 PM
Wasn't the Silicone. I still had the unopened tubes over in the house. Hadn't used it at that point.

Rgds

CCWKen
01-06-2007, 11:16 PM
Anything containing chlorine is bad news for iron and steel. Years ago, I used to store about 4-5gals. of Muriatic Acid in the shop at any given time. Took me a while to figure out why my machines and stock were always rusting. Even with unopened jugs, the chlorine gas leaches through the container.

I keep the jugs in a large covered bin outside now. Keep the chemicals outside and away from the shop!

SJorgensen
01-07-2007, 04:11 AM
Yea,
this warning has been mentioned many times on this website. It is really wrong to bring strong oxidysers into the shop. It is really wrong to bring strong acids into the shop. Unless real good planning and proceedures are followed it will often lead to bad results. Muriatic acid is very useful stuff, but it will rust everything in the room it is stored in. Pool chemicals like clorine can cause similar problems.
I'm not sure why the laundry clorine like Clorox isn't as problematic though.