PDA

View Full Version : Photos: little red x's instead of----Evan??

Bill Pace
01-06-2007, 05:08 PM
I have always off and on had pix in a thread to not display, just get the little red x, but lately it seems to be more of a problem. Some times I can right click on the x and then 'open picture' and it'll open, sometimes not. Last few posts with pix , cant get anything. Is this a setting from the posters method of posting the pix, or is it on my end with something needing to be changed?

The current topic "small projects" is an example,--- with a few other viewers complaining they cant open the photos either.

Evan, ---or anybody else, help on this,........ the photos are one of the highlights of the forum and it P.O.'s me when I cant view them.

John R
01-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Me too.....got the same problem....hope someone can tell how to make it work
John R

BadDog
01-06-2007, 05:41 PM
It's not the forum. It has to do with where the image is hosted. Some places do not allow you to directly display pics (via deep link) from a different site. Basically using their bandwidth to host images (and such) for display on other sites. Their servers can detect when this is happening (much of the time) and will refuse the "get" with an error. If that is the case, "Open Picture" or directly using the URL will work to get the pic displayed. It can also happen when someone incorrectly uses the IMG tag and points it to their local drive, or maybe even a server that is not visible on the net, or is just down for the moment, etc. There are also image/file hosts that limit daily (or hourly) bandwidth and cut you off when exceeded. So several people may see the pics, then you start seeing the notorious red-x.

Evan
01-06-2007, 08:00 PM
The internet is still in pretty bad shape from the earthquake.

You can see the current status here:

http://www.internettrafficreport.com/main.htm

If the server hosting the pics can't be reached you will get the red X placeholder instead.

franco
01-06-2007, 08:22 PM
Evan,

I am having similar problems, in particular with your photos, which I have not been able to view for some time. Photos hosted by Photobucket, Community Webshots etc and some private servers are OK.

Where you post an image, I get no indication at all using Firefox that an image has been posted. Using O E I sometimes get a dash in the image location. Right clicking on the dash will bring up the red X. If I then click on the red X and View Image, the X disapears and nothing opens. Any suggestions? I miss your photos!

franco

Evan
01-06-2007, 08:56 PM
I have had intermittent and ongoing problems with denial of service attacks directed at my server. They seem to originate from unused netblocks in Asia but that is because the IP addresses are spoofed. I will have to check and see if that is happening again. There is also the possibility of problems in general on the net.

Try this link and see if it brings up a pic.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/bait.jpg

franco
01-06-2007, 11:19 PM
Evan,

I tried the link using Firefox twice about five minutes apart, than again twice about fifteen minutes later. In each case the screen showed "connecting to vts.bc.ca" then a short time later the "The connection has timed out, try again" screen came up.

Then tried it using Internet Explorer, since I had at least got the red X sometimes when trying to view attachments previously. The same thing happened using I E: the message "Connecting to http//vts.bc.ca" appeared, followed by the "This page is not available, try again later" message.

franco

J. Randall
01-07-2007, 12:29 AM
Franco, the problem may be on your end. I am using Firefox and I can view it just fine. James

Evan
01-07-2007, 12:45 AM
Because you are in Australia it's a good bet your connection is limited by the recent cable breaks. In particular several of the Pacific cables to North America were severed. I just tried accessing my site through an Australian proxy server and it worked.

franco
01-07-2007, 02:41 AM
Thanks Evan.

I'll see if things improve in the next couple of weeks.

franco