PDA

View Full Version : What's going on with the old post popping up?

Your Old Dog
01-06-2007, 09:01 PM
More importantly, how many aren't going to page two of the list to look for new post? I normally keep currant with the board and never have to look beyond page 1, but with all this floatsom popping up on page one is it pushing currant post to pages 2 and 3?

Can something be done about this?

BadDog
01-06-2007, 09:12 PM
I have not noticed this at all. No help here, just a data point...

dp
01-06-2007, 09:18 PM
Use the New Posts selection in the men bar and set your options in the User Control Panel.

CCWKen
01-06-2007, 09:59 PM
I've seen spam posted to old topics and that brings them up. After someone (Neil?) deletes the spam, the old topic hangs around for a while for no apparent reason.

And/Or, someone does a search and posts to an old topic not realizing it's a year or more old.

SJorgensen
01-07-2007, 03:48 AM
Well, Sometimes new information can be added to an old thread. I don't have any problem with it. Of course I'm not trying to "kill" many threads so I don't care if one recovers and picks up steam. There are some great old topics and once in a while it is nice to see one again.

There are so many times that I have wanted to read threads from a few years ago by people that are no longer with us.

Can anyone speak to the status of the archives of our community discourse on this site? What periods are saved and what periods are lost?

There are so many unique gems of knowledge that are given freely here, by so many aged gentlemen of untold past experiences and unknown longevity (each of us are in THAT boat.) Some of these gems of knowledge might not be otherwise written anywhere!

I only hope that this site has proper archives of the topics and discussions.

On a personal note; I have wanted to re-read what I wrote on this website when I supported the Bush Administration and the pursuit of the war in Iraq.

I later learned how wrong I was and I want to better understand how each of my arguments were wrong.

Real good people, like fathers with children and mothers with babies have all now WRONGFULLY been killed because of people like me that argued stupidly for war. According to a recent article by the John Hopkins University that has been submitted to The Lancet periodical for peer review, it a scientifically established "best estimate" that over 657,000 Iraqi citizens have been killed as a result of our invasion (this is the excess of the normal mortality.) This number is so much higher than the 3,000 American servicemen dead, and the 28,000 or so wounded casualties, that it boggles the mind.

Some of that blood is on ME.
I was lied to.
And I only want to know the truth.
It isn't a rant. It isn't political. I only want to know the truth.

Alistair Hosie
01-07-2007, 04:26 AM
Good for you Spence.Alistair

John Stevenson
01-07-2007, 05:03 AM
It isn't a rant. It isn't political. I only want to know the truth.

It IS a rant, it IS political and doesn't belong here.

SJorgensen
01-07-2007, 05:23 AM
What do you say about the facts?

You, I consider my friend John Stevenson. The one person who said that I should buy my Bridgeport when all others in my world advised against it. You were once a respected and a generally knowledgable person. Now you seem like an Ostrich.

Why the inability to see the truth? I would like to know about the archives and what I wrote.

This isn't the place for this debate. Anyway, I've argued both sides now so I have a better grasp on the facts, and the truth, now than most.

What a sad waste for everyone but Halliburton and the Carlyle Group.

John Stevenson
01-07-2007, 05:47 AM
No Spence it's not the inability to see the truth or behave like an ostrich, it's getting our views, whatever they are, put into respective places.

At the moment I'm very wound up by a political decision here in the UK, that much so that I have written to the BBC and government but as it doesn't apply to home shop matters I haven't spouted it all over the pages we are allowed to use for home shop purposes.

I do accept that public opinion can sway governments and cause changes in policy but I'm sure Bush and Blair don't read these pages.

Basically there is a time and a place and this is not it.

You were once a respected and a generally knowledgable person. Now you seem like an Ostrich.

So because I don't agree with your views I'm no longer respected or knowledgeable ?

Not a lot of point me trying to answer questions then is there unless it's "How deep is the sand ":( ?

SJorgensen
01-07-2007, 06:17 AM
Well John,
You are a smart and a knowledgable person, so your opinion should always be respected. It is only when people try to squash other peoples argument or squash the debate of unpopular viewpoints were I put my foot down.

I used to agree with you. So I might have then also agreed with the shutting down of any postings that didn't comport to our viewpoint. I really hope that I wouldn't do that.

I think that I would like to learn what YOU think about these things in regard to our governments sending our children to go and fight and kill. And using lies to do it.

I wonder if you still believe in those things that were used to convince us in the U.S. to go to war, that were IN FACT TOTAL LIES by the Bush Administration. Sadly this isn't going away. We were DUPED.

I want to talk about what metals are good bearings on other metals. Still if hundreds or thousands of innocent women and children are being murdered under YOUR's and MINE's authority, then maybe WE should take some time to look into it.

John Stevenson
01-07-2007, 06:36 AM
Spence,
My views on these matters are just that, my views and like many subjects I feel that it's a waste of time and inflammatory to discuss them in public.

Who was it said you don't argue politics, religion and other women in public? Whoever did got it right and I'm not being dragged into any argument for either side.
It's not sticking my head in the sand, I do what I can do with votes etc.
I have one vote that counts here in the UK and I will use that to define how I stand.
Like most voting systems it's secret so no one knows how I voted.
I don't have a vote in the US so anything you discuss or argue with me can't alter your government so what's the point?

Out of all the news groups and forums, politics and religion must list amongst the greater number.
There are less than 10 groups discussing home shop and general engineering, and on every one I have been on post such as this are soon told they don't belong, so what does that tell you?

Sorry my views are my views and will remain so unless I deem to post on a group for those specific views [ don't hold your breath ]

R W
01-07-2007, 06:54 AM
Old threads do reappear at times ,I have not as yet found this a
problem, it is not difficult to go back to page 2 or 3 if you feel this is
necessary.
Keeping with the latest threads depends a lot on how often this forum
is logged on to.
Certain threads attract a great many replies, this results in them
being on page 1 a great deal longer than those receiving a limited
responce.
In my opinion there is no necessity for anything to be done in this
regard.

R W

SJorgensen
01-07-2007, 06:55 AM
In Germany in 1944 nobody complained. The trains might be ahead or slow, but the ones loaded with Jews were pretty well on time. Germans claim that they didn't know about the Holocaust, even when concentration camps were in every neighborhood. The stench of death was in every back yard. How could they deny knowledge? How do we deny knowledge of those under our authority? Abu Ghraib? Troop’s gang-raping and murdering a family. There are at least a dozen more separate atrocities beyond the thousands at Abu Ghraib that were done and are being done now.

John Stevenson
01-07-2007, 06:58 AM
In Germany in 1944 nobody complained. The trains might be ahead or slow, but the ones loaded with Jews were pretty well on time. Germans claim that they didn't know about the Holocaust, even when concentration camps were in every neighborhood. The stench of death was in every back yard. How could they deny knowledge? How do we deny knowledge of those under our authority? Abu Ghraib? Troop’s gang-raping and murdering a family. There are at least a dozen more separate atrocities beyond the thousands at Abu Ghraib that were done and are being done now.

But the real question is can they get a piece of bent rebar running to two tenths in a Harbour Fright 4 jaw chuck ??

SJorgensen
01-07-2007, 07:21 AM
Your reply, John Stevenson, defines it for those generations to come who try to understand these attrocities. Are you sure that you want to be the representative of these attrocities?

John Stevenson
01-07-2007, 07:44 AM
Your reply, John Stevenson, defines it for those generations to come who try to understand these attrocities. Are you sure that you want to be the representative of these attrocities?

Spence,
calm down a minute and look at the top of the page.

It says:-
" The Home Shop Machinist and The Machinist's Workshop (http://www.homeshopmachinist.net/)"

I'm not representing anything to do with this.
I flatly refuse to get involved on this site with your content as I've said many times on list and off list.

IOWOLF
01-07-2007, 07:49 AM
As for the War, The English speaking world didn't start it.

But thats just MY opinion,Yours May Vary.

Your Old Dog
01-07-2007, 07:51 AM
Me thinks someones not taking their meds.

http://www.raymondswan.com/dp/tinfoil%20hat.jpg

Your Old Dog
01-07-2007, 07:54 AM
Old threads do reappear at times ,I have not as yet found this a
problem, it is not difficult to go back to page 2 or 3 if you feel this is
necessary.
Keeping with the latest threads depends a lot on how often this forum
is logged on to.
Certain threads attract a great many replies, this results in them
being on page 1 a great deal longer than those receiving a limited
responce.
In my opinion there is no necessity for anything to be done in this
regard.

R W

I understand that some old ones get kicked back up from time to time, I'm cool with that. But this goes well beyond that. Maybe I've goofed up one of my settings while on a search or something like that. 90 percent of the post showing up on page 1 are old ones with nothing new added at the last post for each topic?

John Stevenson
01-07-2007, 08:01 AM
Have you tried putting that hat on top of the computer ? :D

Your Old Dog
01-07-2007, 08:42 AM
Have you tried putting that hat on top of the computer ? :D

No but maybe I should have! I just found out what "my" problem was but now have to figure how it was I changed it to begin with. The top left corner of each page says: " View First Unread " So I presume the first thread in the archive that I haven't read is popping up first. Now to see if I can figure out how to change it back!

BTW John, I may have to go back to the other side politically , the damn tinfoil is chaffeing on my fourth head and leaving a mark. That mark will make it easier for you know who to identify me in a crowd :D

Your Old Dog
01-07-2007, 08:49 AM
I FOUND IT

I clicked on "new post" and that's what Im getting. Not sure why it was giveing me the other for the past few days?

While I'm here, let me ask, what's the purpose of the "rating" system? Is it like bookmarking a thread for our own use or a group rating type of thing? I have never used the feature but have seen 5 stars on occasional post?

dp
01-07-2007, 01:53 PM
I FOUND IT

I clicked on "new post" and that's what Im getting. Not sure why it was giveing me the other for the past few days?

While I'm here, let me ask, what's the purpose of the "rating" system? Is it like bookmarking a thread for our own use or a group rating type of thing? I have never used the feature but have seen 5 stars on occasional post?

No stars means a thread like this one has no respect. 5 stars shows it is appreciated by those who voted.

Edit: Or maybe it's just somebody playing with the buttons and the stars have no significant meaning at all. :)

SJorgensen
05-14-2007, 01:56 AM
Now many months have passed and so many innocent people have been killed. Osama Bin Laden has not even been in the news for over a year. Just when is the Bush Administration going to work up to attacking the real threat? Is the close family relationship between the Bin Ladens and the Bush's a problem?

IOWOLF
05-14-2007, 05:46 AM
Not again,please.

Craig Foster
05-14-2007, 08:03 AM
I see no reason to resurrect this.