PDA

View Full Version : Boring advice

ShawnR
01-09-2007, 08:14 AM
Hello All.

I am relatively new here, although I have subscribed for a long time, I just have not visited much. I am now using my lathe a little more so have been back quite frequently lately. You guys have a great site here...tons of info....thanks for supporting it for us newbies.

I have a 10 x 18 lathe. Not sure if I made the right decision but it has been solid so far. Obviously, there is lots more support for the 9x19 lathes.I felt at the time of purchase that it was more solid and since it did not come with many accessories, the money was all in the lathe. If anyone was interested, I would be happy to compare stories. I often wonder if it was the better machine. I have not heard of anyone else with one though. That discussion would be better on another thread maybe....?

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?&NETID=0847160109071296654&NTITEM=B2227L

My questions ( one of many, many but for now ) I need to make some bushings for a backhoe project. The one is 2.5" OD by 2" id by 10 " long. This sounds like a formidable feat for my lathe. I have the solid stock. How does one start?
Here is my plan. Please edit for me, if you will.

Cut to rough length
Start drilling ever increasing holes till my largest drill bit ( 1 "), drilling from both ends (I don't know if my tail stock would support that long of a stretch ridgidely enough, and besides, the drill chuck is about 2" in Diameter...should I be buying a long drill bit for this job? )
Bore out to final
Reposition jaws to inside and dress outside to final dimension.
Face to final length

I have not done much boring and mostly on small stuff. My tools are not large. :o I do have friends with bigger lathes. Would this job be better handled on a bigger machine?

Of course, the alternate would be to just buy the part but then why have a lathe? ;)

Thanks
Cheers,
Shawn

torker
01-09-2007, 08:36 AM
Shawn...Welcome from another Canuck! You must be from here or you wouldn't know anything about Busy Bee :D
IMO..You should have a pretty big boring bar to get that job done right. 10" deep is a loooong ways with a little lathe. I'm assuming this is going to be fairly tough material also. You don't just make bushings out of mild steel so this only adds to your problem. I'm not saying it can't be done...the guy with a ton of patience could do it but it's a daunting task. You have to figure the biggest diameter drill bit your machine can handle, the cost of a very long skinny bit to get you through 10". I doubt if you could even power a 3/4" bit through that far then you'd be there forever boring the thing out with a very shaky lil' boring bar.
The big heavy lathes at work would do this job in a very short time. I wouldn't even consider this job on my 14X40...I'd get the big boys to do it....lots quicker.
Russ

ShawnR
01-09-2007, 09:14 AM
Hi Russ

Yes, Ontario.

The plans call for DOM material for the bushing. I have no idea about hardness but thought that was just mild steel. I have not looked into availability locally and at minimums but the bushing is available from Metcorp at a very reasonable price. I could tackle the smaller ones for fun.

The plans are from this company www.cadplans.com and a good site for reference is www.machinebuilders.net

I have not posted the question there but I could see what the other builders are doing.

Nice to hear from another Canadian. There are lots on Machine Builders too. On the other hand, these American guys sure are helpful and knowledgeable, eh? :)
Cheers,

Shawn

Al Messer
01-09-2007, 09:43 AM
Why not rough drill the hole with one end held in the chuck and the outboard end in the steady rest, then mount the workpiece on the Cross slide and use a flycutter mounted between centers in a stiffish bar as long as the lathe can handle. Bore out the I.D., adjusting the depth of the cut with gentle taps on the back of the bit with a Brass hammer between cuts, and then mount on a mandrel and finish up the O.D.?

torker
01-09-2007, 09:47 AM
Shawn...OK...now your talking a whole new deal. DOM heavy wall tubing would be a lot easier for you to work with. You can get it in a lot of different sizes. A few machine shops here sell it by the inch/foot. I buy a lot of it as it cuts down my machining time a lot. I was going to suggest that but didn't know what you where after.
Cool that you want to build one of them tractor/loaders. They look like a darn handy machine. There's a guy here (CCW Ken) who built a very nice lil' tractor. Looks better than factory.
I owned a Case 1845 skid steer for a few years. I really miss it but I sure don't miss the VERY expensive parts. I remember one little breakdown I had. I did everything that I could myself but the final bill for repairs was almost $6000 Cnd. This would be a very good alternative that would HAVE to be cheaper to maintain.
You'll be suprised at how much you can build for the machine with that lil' lathe though. It'll make the difference between a so-so machine and one like Kens.
Have fun!
Russ