PDA

View Full Version : Starritt is on Television 1-09-07

Rich Carlstedt
01-09-2007, 11:01 PM
Tonight on the Travel Channel, John Rathelsberger visited the Starrittt
Factory in Athol , Massachusetts .
It was Pretty interesting. The great grandson of the founder is now the President. The founder worked as a machinist at the Athol machine tool company and in 1875, he started his own business(The Starritt Company), making combination Squares. He later expanded into other inspection tools and then bought out his former employer.
Athol is known as "Tool Town USA"
They toured the plant and show that Combination squares were cut from solid steel on a CNC horizontal milling machine.
The showed the Micrometer area and said they had made Mike's to 98"
On The show, They said they made 65 % of all their tools at that plant.
This was a 2006 video, so it is pretty uptodate I believe.

hope you caught it..My wife came and got me out of the shop to see it
Rich

nheng
01-09-2007, 11:23 PM
Rich, It was pretty good. I caught the percent domestic also and considering the shape we're in, I guess it's not all that bad.

I was slightly disappointed to watch the dial indicator assembly station. Some plants blowing in the breeze nearby and a pile of indicator internal frames waiting to be put together. It was surprising that they were not in part sorting trays for that work station to pick from.

All in all, it was good to see though.

In the prior hour, they visited the RGM watch company in Lancaster, PA. Hand built, old world quality. One watch was to be sold for $175,000. I'll keep my cheap old Rolex ... ok so it's a 20 year old Seiko with sticky buttons :)

Den

Nick Carter
01-10-2007, 03:26 PM
In the prior hour, they visited the RGM watch company in Lancaster, PA. Hand built, old world quality. One watch was to be sold for $175,000. I'll keep my cheap old Rolex ... ok so it's a 20 year old Seiko with sticky buttons :)

Den

The RGM segment was very cool, you don't often get to see a rose engine in action!

Made in America repeats on Saturday afternoons.

Magee
01-10-2007, 03:43 PM
An interesting page on Engine Turning pn RGM's website:

http://www.rgmwatches.com/engine.html