PDA

View Full Version : goverment auctions

jsn_joiner
01-10-2007, 11:22 AM
has anyone seen this site it has scrap metal and used goverment tools

http://www.govliquidation.com/index.html

Milacron of PM
01-10-2007, 11:33 AM
Great place for getting frustrated at the government for the gazzillons of dollars they waste putting perfertly nice machine tools out in the rain to be ruined before selling them. Meanwhile all the worthless office computers and cheezy furniture is kept inside !

gundog
01-10-2007, 01:01 PM
Great place for getting frustrated at the government for the gazzillons of dollars they waste putting perfertly nice machine tools out in the rain to be ruined before selling them. Meanwhile all the worthless office computers and cheezy furniture is kept inside !

Exactly what I was thinking and just commented to a co-worker.
GD

Herm Williams
01-10-2007, 01:31 PM
I in the past went to these auctions but decided that it was not worth the hassle to get upset and angry at the waste. The last time I went there was a never used surface grinder outside getting rusty while a warehouse full of mattresses was nearby. That grinder had four magnetic chucks 18X48 bolted to the table. It went for 8 or 9k$ I bet it cost a 100K$.
re

andy_b
01-11-2007, 12:04 AM
i'll second all the comments so far. most of the stuff goes for prices on the higher end, and a LOT of it has surface rust.

andy b.

Milacron of PM
01-11-2007, 12:33 AM
i'll second all the comments so far. most of the stuff goes for prices on the higher end, and a LOT of it has surface rust.

andy b. Rust is rust, and alot of government machines have been outside 2 years or more and have pretty serious rust.

EDMTech
01-11-2007, 11:14 AM
There is not a clearly defined line between the scrap metal they sell and the machine tools.

It's quite a slap in the face when I unwillingly donate 30% of my paycheck Uncle Sam, read about a 5 trillion dollar national debt, and see a $250,000 machining center sitting out in a parking lot, uncovered, rusting to oblivion.

andy_b
01-11-2007, 11:15 AM
Rust is rust, and alot of government machines have been outside 2 years or more and have pretty serious rust.

i was being kind. :)

andy b.

Milacron of PM
01-11-2007, 11:34 AM
There is not a clearly defined line between the scrap metal they sell and the machine tools.

It's quite a slap in the face when I unwillingly donate 30% of my paycheck Uncle Sam, read about a 5 trillion dollar national debt, and see a $250,000 machining center sitting out in a parking lot, uncovered, rusting to oblivion. Yep....sickening sometimes when one sees a $30,000 CNC mill that was pristine like new before, severly devalued sitting outside knowing that a couple of worthless mattresses stored inside are taking up the same space it could have occupied.

Not just true of Federal gov or DOD, but state government as well.
Few years ago at Americus, GA state storage facility saw a Bridgeport CNC lathe that came from nearby technical school that from all indications I could see had never been used ! But the morons lost the coolant box and a few other things and let it sit outside for over a year before it was auctioned off.

kendall
01-11-2007, 01:59 PM
A while ago I was working at a voc school (new building, old school), prevailing wage etc, and while doing my job had plenty of chances for watching them move in, but they were tossing tons of stuff for various reasons, not sure where that goes, so throw it away, comments like that. I pulled tons of tools and such out of the trash, tool boxes etc, they had 14 stations and owned 16 sets, one set went in storage one set went to the dumpster. and they weren't cheap tools or tool boxes.

It got so bad that I had to force myself to stay away from that end of the building because I was always running over to check the dumpsters.

About a week after I started there I noticed a nice fairly new cherry picker (engine crane) sitting in the parking lot, it sat there a week or better and I finally asked about it, it was in the parking lot for disposal because they had lost the pump handle, and a bolt had come out of the mechanism for the pump, so after clerifying, I loaded it up and brought it home, it's the best cherry picker I've ever owned, awkward and big, but picked up my fully equipped hendy 12x36 lathe from the trailer without a grunt. I ended up breaking the pump mechanism by running into it with my truck and had to buy a new cylender etc because I couldn't find the manufacturer to replace the parts.

What realy amazed me is that anything made it into the dumpster in the first place, every job site I've ever been on there's always someone in the line that wants the stuff, the only time good stuff makes it all the way to the dumpster is when people either have no use for it, don't know what it is, or have too much in their garage already.

Ken

Dawai
01-11-2007, 02:12 PM
Or at the Sequoah nuclear plant where they scrapped a fairly new Kalamazoo saw cause the coolant pump "DID" have a wood chip in it.. Really.. I took it out and the pump ran just fine.
A new saw overnighted in, and that saw got dumped into the scrap cargo container.

I got a crappy saw in my shop.. I was pissed..

YOUR and my tax dollars at work. Bechtel on the job.

Reasoning? if there is not a procedure manual and list to perform a task at a nuke plant, most the contractors there, ie electricians can't do it.. since they have never had a "real job"... the same guys go around working them jobs. Not to say they are not competent or anything.. just so used to being led by paperwork they can't perform without it.

Probably the same thing with the goverment tooling.. if there is not a procedure wrote to address the issue, it is not thier problem.

Al Messer
01-11-2007, 04:57 PM
Having worked for a government entity in my working days, I can honestly tell you that there are very few people working for the government that care anything at all about conserving the taxpayers' monies. The general feeling is: we have to SPEND it this fiscal year or next year, THEY'LL cut our budget.

Tin Falcon
01-13-2007, 02:46 AM
It is a shame . I was at a goverment surplus yard years ago. There was a brand new graphic arts process camera sitting out in the weather. Do not think it had ever been uncrated.
And As I mentioned before in a previous thread a couple months ago I was visiting a govt shop I usd to work in. There is a new scotman iron worker and a colchester lathe "waiting to be installed" the excuse is that they are supposed to be moving the shop to another building. They have been saying that for 5 years now. The warrantys will run out long before the machines are ever used.
Tin

TECHSHOP
01-13-2007, 04:51 AM
Don't you know the real reason that you only find junk at the goverment auctions, is because the government workers have already taken the good stuff home?

Milacron of PM
01-13-2007, 12:52 PM
Don't you know the real reason that you only find junk at the goverment auctions, is because the government workers have already taken the good stuff home? As someone who has been to a hundred government auctions over the decades, with regards to machine tools and woodworking machinery at least, I call tell you that is simply not true and you have no idea what you are talking about.

wierdscience
01-13-2007, 11:59 PM
I will not deal with Gov'mint liquidators/Levy Latham period.Once you buy they disappear and offer no help.Even getting the local base liasion number from them is a PITA.

There is however a ton of good equipment out there,especially woodworking,getting it is the problem.

I used to go to auctions at the three bases local to me.It was always sealed bid or voice bid and there was always loading unless it was something big.With these clowns it's anybodies guess.

TECHSHOP
01-14-2007, 12:42 AM
D. Thomas:

It appears that you have been talking with my wife and children.

Milacron of PM
01-14-2007, 01:53 AM
D. Thomas:

It appears that you have been talking with my wife and children. LOL ....perhaps mine would have similar opinions of me :)