PDA

View Full Version : HF Band Saw Blades -POS

ckalley
01-11-2007, 12:00 AM
Last spring when I went out to vist some friends in NE Pa. we went to the HF store in Scranton. While I was there I picked up some blades for my 4x6 saw. Finally, I took one out tonight and put it on the saw, tensioned it up just the way you are supposed to and tried to cut a piece of 3/8 AL plate - NO GO.

I shut the saw off and took a closer look - The teeth were facing in the WRONG direction!! And I have 3 more, all the same! More FINE quality!!!! Looks like I'll have to cut them, turn them around and braze them back together. They sure don't make this stuff easy!?!?

Craig

chrsbrbnk
01-11-2007, 12:05 AM
I watched a guy put one in backwards on a 12x24 kalamazoo , they made him forman a couple years latter

sid pileski
01-11-2007, 12:08 AM
Are you kiddin' us?, Why not just turn it around?
Not being smart.

Sid

Mike W
01-11-2007, 12:33 AM
Yeah, just flip it so the teeth point in the proper direction.

Willy
01-11-2007, 01:18 AM
Or you could put a reversing switch on the saw and then it wouldn't matter where you got your blades.
Don't feel bad,I'm sure we could collectively fill a book on the "duh" situations we've all encountered.As a matter of fact,could probably write one all by myself.:D

BadDog
01-11-2007, 04:31 AM
This is a joke right? Just flip them? For what ever reason, every time I uncoil a blade it ALWAYS comes out wrong the first time.

But even going the RIGHT way, your, as they say, "pissing up a rope" using the HF blades. And I speak from experience! POS is an understatement. I now have exactly 2 multi-pitch Lynox blades made by a local well regarded supplier for $19 each. They cut so much faster AND STRAIGHTER(!), I can't begin to tell you how much better this saw works with decent blades. It's like mounting the Lynox blades upgraded my saw from a $150 POS ChiCom saw (which worked well enough for what it was, or so I thought) to a $600++ saw right on the spot. I can't begin to tell you how much better it is, and the blades show NO sign of wear after having already outlasted what would have completely killed some 5 or 6 of my previous blades. Just make sure you do a proper break-in, as I'm assured that's important.

Bruce Griffing
01-11-2007, 08:20 AM
Not sure if you get the tooth direction or not, but here is a simple explanation. Imagine a rubber band with the inside red and the outside green. If you turn it indside out - the red is now outside and the green is now inside. You can do the same thing with a bandsaw blade and in the process the teeth will reverse nicely for you.

Bill Pace
01-11-2007, 08:24 AM
Yep, you still aint gonna have a blade when you flip it....the little HF saw is quite a bargain, but the blades are crap. Get you a brand name bi-metal one and it'll likely last looong time.

J Tiers
01-11-2007, 09:56 AM
I know what you mean.........

I bought a box of chip brushes from them, and when I opened up the box, the problem was instantly obvious....

EVERY ONE had the bristles on the WRONG END!

Oh, well, at least I got them on sale.

Philt
01-11-2007, 10:57 AM
I thought you were going to complain about the quality of the HF blades. They aren't that great. Any bi-metal blade will cut much better and last longer. I have been using the Enco $15 blades with good results. Just remember to have the teeth going the right direction, even the bi-metal blades won't cut with the teeth going the wrong way.

Alistair Hosie
01-11-2007, 11:27 AM
Yep my wife bought a set of tea cups and the handles were all for left handed
people:DAlistair

Tin Falcon
01-11-2007, 05:03 PM
LOLROF thanks I needed a good laugh.Chinese provererb say You the operator need to be smarter than saw blade. Like the others said turn the teeth in the other direction.
Tin

Techtchr
01-11-2007, 06:32 PM
Had to change a blade today because the kids broke a blade. Made sure it was going the right way due to this post and not wanting to humiliate my self.

Any of you smart guys ever weld one of your blades into a mobius strip? Try to get one of them to cut properly :)

Matt

Dawai
01-11-2007, 07:52 PM
AND, if you wind them up into a lil circle.. the easiest way not to lose skin when you take them loose? throw them on the floor.. they will bounce and unwind, leaving the skin on your fingers. Kinda like a lawnmower spring..

I used to pick the portaband saw blades up off the floor at Dupont.. they had a saftey rule where you could not transport a saw with the blade on it.. you had to remove it.. so the "fitters" flung the blade when they'd take them off..
At 2am with me starting up instruments I'd get them hung on a ankle.. pick them up, wind them up and put them in a pocket.

It's a lot easier not to say anything about a scratched ankle with a sawblade in your pocket.

I only recently had to start buying blades again.. I worked there in the early 90s.

Silly rules.

J Tiers
01-12-2007, 12:11 AM
Unwinding is OK, I am no good at winding them up into the nice coil...... once unwound, that's how they stay.

How do you do that without looking like you just broke up a catfight?

JCHannum
01-12-2007, 09:01 AM
Unwinding is OK, I am no good at winding them up into the nice coil...... once unwound, that's how they stay.

How do you do that without looking like you just broke up a catfight?
It is all in the thumbs and the wrist. I can show you in a couple of seconds, but don't know if I can tell you.

Hold the blade in both hands with the palms up, thumbs pointing out about a foot apart. Put the long end of the loop of the blade on the floor and push down while rotating the wrists 180 degrees, rolling the loop in. It helps to hold the long end of the loop with your foot while pushing & rolling at the same time.

If done properly, you will end up with three neat rings of blade. It helps to practice with a well worn blade until you have it down. The best method to unroll is as David describes, it is a lot of fun to do and get out of tha way of an uncoiling 10" or 12" blade.

Dawai
01-12-2007, 09:43 AM
A guy on metalmeet had some free sawblades to give away..
44 7/8" long.. I had forgotten port-a-band blades were that long.. the saw.. you hold it in your hand.. don't seem that big...

Lennox and starrett blades rule.. not sure about anything else.

If you don't have a port-a-band saw, your shop is not equipped.. A nice handy small saw you can cut about anything a home shop machinist does.. and I have mounted mine at times vertical and used it as a pattern saw.. the mount goes into a vise, a steel rod goes down for your foot to mash the vari-speed trigger.

TECHSHOP
01-12-2007, 09:58 AM
I just picked up a used 4x6 bandsaw (circa '85), with a new Lenox blade (tossed in by the seller to close the deal). Took off what was left of that wonderful sheet metal stand, and started looking over the rest. Now I need to start researching the archives and sign up to another Yahoo group. That little saw should increase my output, to say a completed project every five or so years.