Or this morning?

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/therm2.jpg

Dawai
01-11-2007, 01:43 PM
Sky diving jet flying in -38 degrees...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7Niv915k5Y
Note the douche bags for fuel tanks?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BBC_Gy8B90

Tougher than I am.. it is 70 inside and my feet are so cold I am fixing to get under a electrici blanket

Evan
01-11-2007, 01:56 PM
Ya gotta dress for it David.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/me1.jpg

lynnl
01-11-2007, 01:57 PM
Having a little cool snap up there, eh Evan?

It's all relative. I've wintered for varying times in Colorado, Idaho, Omaha NE, Minot ND, Plattsburgh NY, and such, but I've felt every bit as cold here in Alabama.

Evan
01-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Yeah, it's getting cool. Probably colder tonight. We really need a week or so of -40 to kill off the pine bark beetles and maybe save what is left of the interior forests.

torker
01-11-2007, 02:28 PM
Ah yes! I had to work in that crap last night(10 hour shift). Shop is so busy that we are ending up stuck outside under a roof with all open sides to finish of some projects. Went from +2 at start to -27 a few hours later with about a 40 mph wind with a lovely bunch of swirling snow to go with it.. Was wonderful....respirator kept freezing up...ass got froze. Nice....laying down on a cold steel plate doing stitch welding all damm night.
Metal doesn't get hot enough to keep you warm when yer just stitching it.
Getting sick of the 5 ft high snowbanks in my yard also. My driveway is shrinking faster than my shop floor. That isn't good.
ONE MORE....I've had enough so I'm packing it in after tonight. Four months of nights has turned me into something strange...living on sleeping pills....can't sleep in the daytime. Soon back to normal.
Thank Gawd for the ol' wool longjohns! Complete with rear end flap....they are the only thing that makes me go out in this crap.
Global warming? Not here.
Russ

SGW
01-11-2007, 05:21 PM
I think the coldest I've experienced in southern New England is about -24F. For you, that would be a heat wave!
This winter it has mostly been in the 50s and 60s. Weird weather.

IOWOLF
01-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Lynnl, You werent here in Omaha in '75 were you?

CCWKen
01-11-2007, 07:36 PM
Anything would be better than last year. As a matter of fact, I haven't had to mow grass for over a year and a half. It's all dead! Trimmed some dirt about three months ago mostly to cut some high weeds but other than that, no grass cutting. No rain of any circumstance and temperatures over 100 all last summer. Couldn't even keep the garden alive.

BadDog
01-11-2007, 07:41 PM
God, that makes me cold just looking at the pic. My eyeballs would freeze! Brrrrr....

ERBenoit
01-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Trimmed some dirt....

That's a good one.

larry_g
01-11-2007, 08:15 PM
Me I'll take the cold. I can usually put on more clothes if its cold but if its too hot then I get down to minimal clothing and thats just plain ugly. I was once traveling and in Chicago when they were having record cold at -40f with wind chill to -60 or better. I called my wife in Oregon and she commented that it was to freeze here so she was going to put some plants inside. I came to the realization that the freezing Oregon weather was 70 degrees warmer that in Chicago and that did not count wind chill.
lg
no neat sig line

nheng
01-11-2007, 08:35 PM
We broke an 1876 record this past week with 69F (southern NH) on monday. Must have had some global warming back in 1876, eh?

Willy
01-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Look at the bright side...beer's always cold...no bugs!

lane
01-11-2007, 09:19 PM
well it was 65 here this evening suppose to get cold nexk week in the 40theeee

Evan
01-11-2007, 09:27 PM
Well, I just spent 1/2 hour out in the back field trying to spot the new comet. No luck and I had to come back in when my camera stopped working. I might have caught it in one of the time exposures but I have to wait for the frozen condensation on the camera to evaporate before I touch it.

zopi
01-11-2007, 09:42 PM
Those little jet engines would make great leaf blowers...just whiz around the yard a couple times...<G>

J. Randall
01-11-2007, 09:46 PM
I read somewhere once, that the brass monkey phrase came from the old wooden sailing ships. Seems they used brass racks to contain the cannon balls, and on extremely cold nights the racks would contract enough to spill the cannon balls all over the deck. Thus the saying Cold enough to freeze the balls off of a brass monkey. James

Evan
01-11-2007, 09:53 PM
I did the math on that once. No chance.

Willy
01-11-2007, 10:35 PM
Well, I just spent 1/2 hour out in the back field trying to spot the new comet. No luck and I had to come back in when my camera stopped working. I might have caught it in one of the time exposures but I have to wait for the frozen condensation on the camera to evaporate before I touch it.

Evan I thought that the comet was only visable on the coast since it is almost on the horizon when the sun goes down.Apparently it will be harder to spot tomorrow since it will be closer to the sun.I guess the relatively flat topography in your neck of the woods is to your advantage.
Yeah nothing like waiting for everything to thaw out when you come in from the frozen north,oh well like I said earlier...at least ya aint slappin bugs all the way back to the house.

Evan
01-11-2007, 11:18 PM
I have a pretty low horizon to the west but no luck. It's too close to the sun. The only way to see it now is to book a flight to Tahiti.

Say.....

Evan
01-11-2007, 11:30 PM
That sounds like the best idea I have had in a while. Plenty of excellent opportunities for photography...

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/tahiti.jpg

J Tiers
01-12-2007, 12:06 AM
I like cold..... but I like hot also.

I grew up with a lot of -30, and a bit of -40.

You get used to it, I'd rather have that than the "St Louis thing" where it is between 35 and 40, raining, and windy..... That damp air takes heat right out of you.

You can tell temperature by sound..... Around zero snow starts to really squeak... the squeak gets different in a funny way as it gets colder, and around -25 or so the air starts to kill the sounds.... at -40 its mighty quiet, the air just does not carry sound, its too thick.... Of course not much is making noise then, most critters are just trying to keep warm.

There is a certain quality to cold northern winters...... I used to think summer was boring, you couldn't ski.... been a while now.

Evan
01-12-2007, 12:32 AM
at -40 its mighty quiet, the air just does not carry sound, its too thick.... Of course not much is making noise then, most critters are just trying to keep warm.

Yeah, and nothing will start. Even if it does it's a bad idea to drive. Things break real easy. Oil cavitates in the oil pump. Brakes fail because the slaves don't seal. Springs crack. Tires are square. Shocks leak. Bearings seize.

Cool thing about -40 and colder is that it starts to snow lightly out of a clear blue sky. The last bit of water vapor in the air freezes out and drifts down. Weather report says that Puntzi Mtn station near where we used to have a summer cabin was -42 last night.

madman
01-12-2007, 08:58 AM
looking bra, Evan that thing on her chest almost looks like a piece of cardboard crazy glued to the old nips. Third world Fashion?

Norman Atkinson
01-12-2007, 09:05 AM
From Williams Lake to Lake Titi-caca?

Dawai
01-12-2007, 09:48 AM
Looks like fun, till you get into court. Women, bahh humbug.. gimme a coon dog for a companion..

If I lost Carrol, I'd not look for another. In my 49 years she has been the best..

She had 44G's when I met her.. a reduction makes less trips to the Chiropractor thou. 14 years my junior.. whoo hoo, perhaps I won't need another.

lynnl
01-12-2007, 12:12 PM
Lynnl, You werent here in Omaha in '75 were you?

No, at least not permanently stationed then. I think I was TDY for a week or so.
But my permanent assignment there was from Jul 1984 until I retired from AF in Feb 87. Then I stayed there for about 3 more years while working in Iowa (Coon Rapids).

lynnl
01-12-2007, 12:28 PM
I don't know about freezing so cold balls fell from the brass monkeys.
...but I did hear once that an old trapper living alone in the wilds of interior Alaska went out to bring in some firewood, and as he bent over he felt something roll down his leg.
There laying on the snow he saw this kinda egg shaped plastic bubble, which he picked up and took back inside. After a little while it started thawing a little, and soon he heard this loud PFfffrrt sounding noise, soon followed by a horribly foul odor!!

...I don't know if that's really true, or not. ;)

Guido
01-12-2007, 12:56 PM
We've always heard the expression: 'Colder'n a well diggers ass'.

Any ideas on just how cold that might be?

G

J Tiers
01-12-2007, 01:48 PM
I heard it as "welldiggers instep"..... which would be right around 50 deg and wet.

Yankee1
01-12-2007, 04:13 PM
My father in law once asked me how cold it was in the morning where I lived.
I told him I wasn't sure but when I looked out the kitchen window I saw two cottontails pushing a jack rabbit trying to get it started.
Chuck

kc5ezc
01-12-2007, 04:34 PM
The way I heard it was: "Cold as a well diggers a@@ in the klondike" Maybe one of our
alaskan associates can define that.
John Burchett
in Byng OK
61F yesterday going to 25 today.

Evan
01-12-2007, 05:01 PM
It's cold enough that our Giant Alaskan Malamute is actually sleeping in his doghouse at night. I'm just waiting for the neighbour kid to come over after school. We pay him to exercise the dogs and to do a few chores around here. Need to get him to haul in some more wood. Go getter type kid, 12 years old. He came here asking for work.

BTW, the Klondike is in Canada.

Your Old Dog
01-12-2007, 05:49 PM
And then there's Buffalo New York, we don't have any cold weather, just the reputation.

Evan
01-12-2007, 06:11 PM
Well at least it's not Albany. I have only been there once but my impression was that if armpits have armpits Albany would be one of them.

lynnl
01-12-2007, 07:01 PM
Hey, what about the snow snakes? Are they pretty prolific up there in Canada this year?

Willy
01-12-2007, 07:06 PM
Yeah but they aren't as big as the trouser trout!:D

Evan
01-12-2007, 07:28 PM
I almost was bit by a snow snake last night when I was out trying to snag a pic of the comet. Fortunately I had the Bear Dog with me and she noticed it before it got to my ankle. They can bite right through leather no problem but nothing is quicker than the Bear Dog. She bit it's head off in one quick motion but before I had a chance to recover it as proof of their existence she pissed on the remains and they dissolved in a puff of smoke. Their blood is a highly reactive sodium based antifreeze and reacts with urea on contact. Maybe next time.

Sea Farmer
01-12-2007, 10:12 PM
It's still kinda warm here -- one of my colleagueas hasn't put on long pants yet:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i112/SeaFarmer/P2050019-1.jpg

:)