PDA

View Full Version : JET vs MMX vs GMC Lathe Quality??

rvbillder
01-13-2007, 11:08 PM
I am ready to buy a 14 x 40 gear head lathe and I am looking at the web page for Southern Tool . They sell Jet, MMX ,GMC, and Birminghan Lathes in this size range. All seem to have about the same features, give or take. Any opinions as to the quality, precision of the these.
Recently sold my good old Atlas that I always found was a little small.

JimB
01-14-2007, 08:28 AM
Recommend calling the guy that owns Quality Machine. He sells both and seems to be honest about the differences. Mainly cost versus what you get.

http://www.machinetoolonline.com/

Jim

torker
01-14-2007, 09:06 AM
rv guy...Welcome! I just took a quick look. If it was me...the first thing I see is the Jet is about 400 pounds heavier than the others. It can go down to 40 rpm vs 70. The long feeds are .0012 vs .002. I missed the bed width but the wider the better IMO.
I seriously would look at them hands on but the weight and other factors have me sold on the Jet already.
I have an early 14X40 "Force" (Imported by House of Tools in Canada) and it is a piece of crap....1300 pounds...long feed (fine) .008. narrow bed width, flimsy compound etc. I'm slowly getting things fixed or changed to make it better but it's still too light. My next lathe will have all the features of the Jet. There is a guy here (Jim Glass?) who swears by Jet lathes. I think he's right.
Russ