PDA

View Full Version : More toolmaking

J Tiers
01-14-2007, 03:44 PM
Decided I wanted a small swivel vise for the Lewis mill....

Didn't want to spend several hundred bucks, and decided to make a base for a vise I have already, pretty much just because.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/jstanley/visebase.jpg

The base before the last steps in finishing it

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/jstanley/visebas2.jpg

bhjones
01-14-2007, 04:03 PM
Did you start with castings?

Bill Pace
01-14-2007, 04:04 PM
That looks plumb 'prefessoional' ---is that botton part a casting?.....cant see any tool marks by the ears, and the degree marks look really nice. Yep, real nice!!

torker
01-14-2007, 04:40 PM
Oh boy!...Now that is some nice! Oh....wait a minute....it's JT....Nothing unusual then. Nice work as always! How did you mark out the graduations on the base?
Russ

Tinkerer
01-14-2007, 04:50 PM
Very clean work and nice use of what ya got.

J. R. Williams
01-14-2007, 06:13 PM
JT
Nice job. Steel or cast iron? The big question - what is the reason for the big "V" notch in the vise jaw.?
JRW

chrsbrbnk
01-14-2007, 06:18 PM
It kinda out classes the vise!

dan s
01-14-2007, 06:22 PM
JT
Nice job. Steel or cast iron? The big question - what is the reason for the big "V" notch in the vise jaw.?
JRW

I noticed that as well, and to me it almost looks like the face on that side of the vise has a pivot point. To hold non parallel work perhaps?

lazlo
01-14-2007, 06:29 PM
Beautiful job JT -- but it hurts to see that crappy Chinese drill press vise on that pretty rotary base. :rolleyes:

You can get those Chinese "toolmakers" vises for a song, and they're way nicer than the Mill/Drill vises, and they have about the same form-factor:

http://www.cdcotools.com/item.php?itemid=25

J Tiers
01-14-2007, 09:04 PM
HEY, now.......

That is a made in USA Miller's Falls vise with a pivoting jaw....... no chinese whatevers involved. A DP vise? sure..... but I have it, it is actually nice and parallel, and it isn't out of scale for the machine.

And naturally it isn't the only vise that can go on the base. The plan is eventually to make a low milling vise to fit it. The net result to be considerably lower than any of the Palmgren units, since I have low daylight overall.

Meanwhile, there are lots of the Miller's Falls vises running around, so I have a continuing supply.

Nope, bottom is 100% milled out.

Evan
01-14-2007, 09:19 PM
That looks like what I need for my shaper, only larger and wider. Good job on the index marks. What is that base? A casting?

Fasttrack
01-14-2007, 09:23 PM
I still want to know how you make the graduations...

Mcgyver
01-14-2007, 09:53 PM
nice looking work JT!

C - ROSS
01-14-2007, 10:03 PM
JT
Nice work. I know where there is another Lewis that could make use of another one any time you are ready.

How about letting us know how you did the graduations !!

Doc says I can pick up a wrench in about 6 weeks, until then I will just have to give everyone a hard time.

Ross

CCWKen
01-14-2007, 10:15 PM
Wow! That's sharp! I'm glad one of the old timers finally posted something. All these new guys are making us look like lazy old coots. :D

CCWKen
01-14-2007, 10:18 PM
I noticed something else on that table. How do you like the 2-piece vise? Been thinking of getting one to handle large pieces.

Mayor
01-14-2007, 10:28 PM
WOW!
Thats some nice work.....Hello All.....newbie here!....I aquired a small antique lathe and a "standard" brand knee mill.......The lathe is a Dalton 6.
I've got limited knowledge in machinist work as I've always been a carpenter and heavy equipment operator...but my hobby is restoring IH cub cadet tractors and old time flat belt driven farm machinery. The mill and lathe have already proven indispensible in my hobbies. I'm here too learn and ask some questions.....so feel free to help or yell at me accordingly.....
So far.....I have learned to make some really nice steel wool.:)

J Tiers
01-14-2007, 11:49 PM
Base is CRS......... no castings

Graduations were done using the 72 tooth bull gear on the Logan, with an indexer pin kudged on, and shims to do the intermediate graduations. I had to do them twice...... had the wrong shim for a bunch before I saw it. Last pass is what was messed up, of course....... 720 little lines....... OY.

For more details you'll have to wait, because I probably will submit it as an article for the mags, and I don't want to dilute the content ahead of time....

They have been begging for articles, so I figured I'd take pics while doing things, and write up the projects, stick 'em on a CD and see what they like.

The two piece vise is really a 3 piece, I made it also. I like it, but then I'm predjudiced :D

Both items are due to having only one slot in the table..... sure does limit your workholding. I do have a t-slot plate I picked up at a sale, but it is aluminum, and not that thick.

I could do a big plate-O-threaded holes, but haven't done that yet. I like access to the slot as a parallism reference.

Evan
01-15-2007, 01:34 AM
You could put a vernier scale on that base for really accurate alignment to the precise degree. Ten marks with a total spacing of 110 degrees. You would rough align to the degree graduations and then fine align to the vernier marks and the ten degree marks.

Your Old Dog
01-15-2007, 09:14 AM
Clean looking job!!

J Tiers
01-15-2007, 10:03 AM
About the vernier..... yeas I could, but I don't think the actual degree marks are quite accurate enough for that. It was only done with a gear, after all.

And, for anything really important, I wouldn't do that anyway, I'd want to set up something with sine bar and blocks, etc.

I do have some degree wheels and verniers from old surveying equipment, which I have always thought would be useful for a rotary workholder of some sort, but I never seem to quite figure out how I would use them.

lazlo
01-15-2007, 01:04 PM
HEY, now.......

That is a made in USA Miller's Falls vise with a pivoting jaw....... no chinese whatevers involved. A DP vise? sure..... but I have it, it is actually nice and parallel, and it isn't out of scale for the machine.

Doh! Sorry JT! That looked like the crappy drill press vise that came with my Mill/Drill :eek:

I have a pair of USA-made Palmgren drill press vises, and they're ground on all sides -- I'd never seen one of the Miller Falls vises before.