PDA

View Full Version : Yet another project done.

IOWOLF
01-14-2007, 08:19 PM
A Post a week or so ago got mr thinking, and working.

A cheap solution to a problem.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/iowolf/5chldr.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/iowolf/5Cholder.jpg

Tin Falcon
01-14-2007, 08:29 PM
Great Idea! A boring bar holder? Did you have any problems with alignment ?
Nice job.
Tin

lane
01-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Opps you runt your collet block.

IOWOLF
01-14-2007, 08:38 PM
Not a bit,Chucked up a 1" piece of tool steel with both ends and clamped, tack welded,checked and welded.about 2 hours start to finish.

Yea ,got the whole kit for $19.00 ,10 years ago and never used the square one. Yep, "runt" it or Ruint it.

YankeeMetallic
01-14-2007, 10:23 PM
I posted a thread either her or on the PM thread about 2 weeks ago asking if anyone had ever used that type of 5C holder. There was an Aloris like that on E-Bay for $120. I was going to use it for holding all of my different boring bar sizes. I even thought of doing what you did with a couple of the chicom holders like you made and TIG welding it since $120 was too steep for me right now (I'm saving for a rotating tailstock chuck). When I really started looking at it none of my Boring bars are larger than 1" diam so I decided to make sleeves for each size bar under 5/8".
How did that Tiawanese cast/steel weld afterall?
What are you using as an adjusting post?
One reply I got was that boring bars slipped during heavy cuts.
Give us some feedback on it after you have used it a couple of times.

IOWOLF
01-15-2007, 05:31 AM
USE it? I thought it was just to brag about.
No adjusting post,as it will be different for different jobs.

actually it is for a project I have to drill holes in 1" round stock horizontally.

greywynd
01-16-2007, 10:41 AM
Nice job Iowolf, would be easy enough to add an adjusting screw.

Only time I see the square blocks used is to grind bits for Robertson screws, guess other than us Canucks, most people wouldn't need those.

Mark