PDA

View Full Version : First shaper project complete

Tin Falcon
01-14-2007, 07:23 PM
Guys;
When I first got the shaper set up and lubed, I tried cutting chips. Then squared up a handfull of blocks in the stock drawer. Well finaly made somthing usefull. Decided that learning how to cut dovetailes and do slots on the shaper would be a good thing. Also extra tool holders for the QC set on the lathe come in handy. So made these to fit the A2ZCNC tool post for the mini lathe. The black anodized one in the forground is one that came with the set.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j108/Tin_Falcon/Minitoolholder.jpg

I still need to pick up the 10-32 hardware to put them in service.
Tin

Tinkerer
01-14-2007, 07:33 PM
:eek: Tin those look fantastic.

Evan
01-14-2007, 07:53 PM
I am looking forward to getting my shaper running. Nice work, I could use a few of those too.

IOWOLF
01-14-2007, 07:57 PM
Nicely done,Thanx for Sharing.

CCWKen
01-14-2007, 09:00 PM
I like the jewelling. It's a nice touch.

mochinist
01-14-2007, 09:08 PM
Even though I can't stand jeweling, that is some really nice work.:)

rockrat
01-15-2007, 10:42 AM
I'm still trying to decide how you used a shaper to put the jeweling on there! :D
(I always thought that was called engine turning.)

All kidding aside, nice work.

How long did it take on the shaper? T

he reason I ask, I did a single toolholder on the shaper and found it was a lenghtly chore. So, I bought a dovetail cutter and have plans to make more soon.

rock-

Tin Falcon
01-15-2007, 12:07 PM
rock :
Yea it was a real trick to drill and tap all those holes on the shaper as well LOL.
The dovetails were tricky and took a while to grind the tools. The slots went pretty smooth and quick though. The only mill I have is a mini mill. That is not real stiff. I cut the dovetail on all three on the shaper from one piece of stock. thencut them apart on the band saw. squared them up on the shaper cut the slots on the individual pieces. Then drilled and tapped on the mill. Unfortunatly the jeweling left grit in the threads now need to clean it out. If I was diong it again i would put some screws in the holes to keep the threads clean. Oh well this is about learing as well as doing.
Tin

Your Old Dog
01-15-2007, 01:33 PM
Do you thing the shaper was faster than a regular sized mill doing the dovetails? Nice looking project! I understand the jeweling is functional and not just for beauty. In some applications it's supposed to take oil better promoting better sliding fits. You plan on doing some highspeed tooling changes? :D

Al Messer
01-15-2007, 05:49 PM
Rockrat, what did that Dovetail cutter cost you? The HSS blanks I use to grind tools for my Shaper run about $1.50 each and can be sharpened on the bench grinder freehand.

Tin Falcon
01-15-2007, 07:09 PM
Guys: Thanks for the kudos. I think if I was compare time on the shaper vs time on a bridgeport the bridgeport would be faster. Like I mentioned earlier I only have a small mill. Like Al said the tooling is one of the beautys of the shaper. Buy a box of tool blanks do a little grinding and you have whatever you need, a dovetale cutter, an inside radius, an outside radius, a roughing tool, a parting tool etc. And I am hooked on the shaper now that I have one. The milling machine is noisy I wear hearing protection most of the time because the sound gets on my nerves. The rythmic sound of the shaper is relaxing. Especialy when just squaring a piece or doing a flat surface. My 7" shaper is a good size big enough to be solid but not so big that I can not get it easily in and out of the basement part of the shop.
Rockrat wrote "I did a single toolholder on the shaper and found it was a lenghtly chore." From what I have heard the bests way is to do a long piece and cut the dovetail then cut the chunk into part sized pieces. I think I have metioned before a Grizzly 9" benchtop saw does a fine job of cutting aluminum and brass.
The tool holders were a fun learning project and a succsess. I probly did not realy need the little ones but wanted to try them before attempting some in the AXA size a lot bigger chunk of metal to scrap if I messed up.
Regards Tin

cybor462
01-16-2007, 01:30 AM
Heah Tin bring them with you to the York show. I want to see one up close. I have been wanting to make some just to say I did (and use of course) but I do not have a shaper. Real curious how they came out. They look real fine. What did you use as far as steel? I was told it needs to be heat treated. Whatz you think? We can talk in York.

Tin Falcon
01-16-2007, 06:52 AM
CYborg;
These are for the mini lathe 60% AXA/100 sizeThey are made from 6061? Aluminum.
Yes will bring to show.
Tin

rockrat
01-16-2007, 08:13 PM
Rockrat, what did that Dovetail cutter cost you? The HSS blanks I use to grind tools for my Shaper run about $1.50 each and can be sharpened on the bench grinder freehand.

Got me there. I think that I spent about $10.00 for it. Seems that it was on sale somewhere. I cant remember.

But your right, in a pinch, a shaper will do all sorts of things with cheap tools. It'l even make threads.

rock-