PDA

View Full Version : Mini-lathe QC tool posts, aluminum vs. steel?

gmm22
01-16-2007, 02:29 AM
I'm scouting quick change tool posts for my Micromark mini-lathe. There seems to be several options. The first dilemma is whether aluminum units should be considered. I understand the general idea of wanting mass behind your cutters, but I'm not sure how this plays out in the practical use of tool posts. Can anyone offer any insight?

In addition, I am confused as to their operation. Do the dovetail models lock rotation and vertical adjustment in the same main top lever, or is there another way to lock the vertical adjustment?

Tin Falcon
01-16-2007, 06:57 AM
My brother has a micromart economy holder it is not quick to change. I have the AZZCNC from Littlemachinshop or they sell direct so much better. Dovetale models lock rotation with the mounting bolt the holder is held by a cam operated plunger. IMHO the aluminum works fine here the problem withthe mini is play in the cross slide. Not enough mass differece to mak a difference.
Tin

pcarpenter
01-16-2007, 12:35 PM
I used one of the aloris style 100 series tool posts. I like the solidness and the universality of toolholders as I have purchased a few extras since. However, I did a couple of mods that are documented on the web in order to alleviate the clipping of the working envelope that comes from using what is really a bit oversize post for that lathe.

I milled the cross feed nut slot in the bottom of the cross slide a bit longer to allow more travel and then made an extension for the cross feed screw "housing" that extends the housing out a bit further for even more travel. I also milled the "plinth" down about .250" on the top of the compound to make it easier to get tool bits on center with the tall tool post.

The lathe was still plenty functional before the mods and I don't know that I have made good use of the additional capacity added by them. A few years later I bought a bigger lathe and tend to stay well within the work envelope on the mini-lathe.

Paul