01-17-2007, 03:07 PM
What Happened?

Spin Doctor
01-17-2007, 03:09 PM
To quote Ricky Ricardo

"Lucy, you got some 'splaining to do"

thistle
01-17-2007, 03:12 PM
yes what happened? how do you roll one of those?
- some one was going too fast in an air port fire truck and got photographed -
if had been me i would have put it back in the hanger and blamed the next shift.......................

winchman
01-17-2007, 06:07 PM
I suspect that busted tie-rod may have been part of the problem.

Roger

John Stevenson
01-17-2007, 06:46 PM
Very easy to do as they have a very high C of G.
I have seen them that far up on two or three wheels that you get a clear view of the drive train.
Never actually seen one go over but the way they slop water out on high G turns it's got to be easy.

Makes it easier to grease the drive train when it's like this. :)

Wayne02
01-17-2007, 06:59 PM
Myth Busters "experiment"?

"Can an airport service truck roll over..."

pressurerelief
01-17-2007, 07:31 PM
That is not a service truck. That is a HIGH DOLLAR Oshkosh Crash Truck. Those start at over $750,000 and go up from there. Sucks to be that guy.

WORMgearster
01-17-2007, 07:37 PM
That tie-rod must have been held by one of Tuckerfans castings!

Tinkerer
01-17-2007, 07:59 PM
Can even blame it on icing... it's Bermuda. I guess the drive took the meaning of " LETS ROLL " literally. :D

john hobdeclipe
01-17-2007, 08:07 PM
Not the most opportune time to ask for a raise.

zopi
01-17-2007, 08:27 PM
Roy Gage....Not impressed.

Tom Buchanan
01-17-2007, 09:00 PM
reminds of a few scenes around Okla City this week during the ice storm.

thistle
01-18-2007, 09:21 AM
AND THEN THERE ARE THESES POOR SQUADDIES......

http://www.jibjab.com/jokebox/jokebox/jibjab/id/194059/jokeid/46011

Mike P
01-18-2007, 12:39 PM
There's a Canadian group looking at limiting the speed of these big airport trucks because they can only generate on the order of .3g to .45g before they start to oversteer and/or rollover.

Check out the very last rollover in their list at the bottom of the page...Burmuda, 1998, maybe these photos?

Turns out they just recommend the drivers learn how to drive them without rolling them over.

http://cstt-ctts.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/en/course/course01.html

thistle
01-18-2007, 01:17 PM
That rollover occured yesterday

Willy
01-18-2007, 01:33 PM
Another entry for the list!:D

Wirecutter
01-18-2007, 01:48 PM
Personally, I think this sucks worse. The blob at the top of the frames is my brain stem.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/wires99/MRI/MRI_11Jan07_h.jpg

-Mark

Swarf&Sparks
01-18-2007, 03:04 PM
Good luck with it wirecutter, I feel yer pain. Had C6/7 fused 3 years ago. Worked wonders for me :)

Wirecutter
01-18-2007, 04:48 PM
Thanks, Swarf. The kicker is I just had micro-discectomy at L4-L5 in November. This is another injury, this time C5-C6, I think it is. I don't think it'll be fused - just the bad part gets removed, somehow. The doc said the two are unrelated - just bad luck.

Know that TV show "My Name Is Earl?" Maybe it's a karma thing just like that. My life has been pretty good for a good long stretch. Perhaps I have to "pay some back" from time to time with a bit of suffering. I could complain, but that just bums everyone out, including me. I'm learning a lot about this stuff, though.

-Mark

Swarf&Sparks
01-18-2007, 04:54 PM
Keep your chin up, no joke intended. The surgeon reckoned, in my case, it was too many years looking down at bench/machine/wotever. Caused the front of c5/c6 disc to press on spinal column and nerves to right arm. Result was agony and near paralysis. Bless the man with his little chisels :D

motomoron
01-18-2007, 05:17 PM
I know how you feel. Everythings been going awesome for years. A succession of great jobs, married to an awesome woman, got a screaming deal on a nice little house in a great neighborhood, good friends, nice toys, money in the bank.

Then I had a skateboarding crash when I was in California, and there was something "funny" on my CT scan. I follow up once I'm back home, and the not-entirely-funny result is that I had a brain tumor. Nice falaffel-sized unit in my right frontal lobe.

Turns out, if you're right handed, that's the place to have one. Evidently I don't use that lobe much. The first neurosurgeon I saw informed me it was almost certainly low grade, and slow growing, so I had time to asess my options. I live very close to NIH so he referred me to the head of neuro-oncology there for a 2nd opinion. I researched neurosurgeons in the meantime, and contacted the office of the head of neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins, who it seemed was the top guy on the east coast, if not the US.

The guy at NIH said that yes, it was almost certainly a grade 2 Astrocytoma or a small chance it was a grade 2 Oligodendroglioma. I could observe it, or opt to have it removed.

At this juncture I was essentially crapping my pants, and was convinced that this was the cost of entry for everything going so damn well.

I coincedentally was introduced to someone who lives near me who'd been down the same road, except her's had been discovered once it began causing seizures. She told me all about her process, and it answered a lot of questions. She'd seen the same doctors in the same sequence as I had and had formed the same opinions. She'd had her surgery done by the doctor I wanted to see, and offered to make an introduction. 2 days later the doctor's office at Johns Hopkins called me and I set up an appointment to see him in clinic.

He turned out to be a real paradox; a humble brain surgeon. He went over my MRI's with me in detail, and answered every question without dumbing down his answers. He offered the option of observing the tumor, but when asked what he'd recommend if it were in his child's head, offered he'd rather see it removed.

I offered the first opening on his surgical schedule, and last May 16 I checked into Johns Hopkins, had it removed in the morning, and went home the morning of the 18th. It turned out it was an oligodendroglioma, the slowest growing type of brain lesion. The pathology showed that I had a couple of gene deletions that sometimes accompany this particular tumor, and which indicate that any recurrence of the growth will be very responsive to pharmaceutical therapies. I took 3 weeks off from work, as it makes one a bit weak, but I had absolutely no deficit as a result of the procedure, and in fact feel incrementally "sharper" than I did before.

So. I discovered the tumor as the result of a freak accident. I hadn't even hit my head; I'd passed out due to secondary bleeding in my hip from the enormous contusion there, and the CT was ordered in error.
I happened to be at a friend's house helping paint his Vincent Black Knight (he's a physician) when I remembered to ask about a neuro to look at my films. He took them to work and got a 'curbside consult" and got me in the MRI tube in a day, and then got me in to the top neurosurgeon in DC in a couple more days. Total coincedence that I get entree' to the doctor I want to see. Finally, of everything I could have had growing in my head, I had the slowest groeing type of tumor, in the best location, and with the most favorable genetics. It was evidently "very easy" to remove as it was very well defined. I was amazingly lucky all the way around...

I go for an MRI at NIH every 3 months (your tax $$ at work!) and as of my visit yesterday they say I'm "perfect" and "boring"

I'm not a person of faith at all, though the concept of things going better when I'm being a good person has been borne out by experience.

My situation was an event of unfavorable biology to which I applied the best information and technology I could find. My friend Tim, formerly a crewchief for a very succesful motorcycle endurance race team says:

"Luck equals skills, attitude, and knowledge combined with favorable circumstances"

...and I kept that sentiment close at hand all the way through the process.

Your back will get better. Keep a positive outlook, and I'll be over to pick up that electric go kart. That thing's not good for you back at all.

Finally, it's NOT happening as payback for things going well.

Wirecutter
01-19-2007, 11:37 AM
Moto -
That's an amazing story! There aren't many close comparisons to my situation, of course, except for the way you look at it. At no point have I thought my situation is life-threatening like yours - I've just been facing what amounts to a lot of inconvenience. I have to say you have amazing luck and a great outlook. I try to do the same.

The karma thing is kind of a joke, of course. I always try to remember what's good - I think too few people do that, and it helps me feel better and generally have a decent attitude. The analogy I always use is that people notice when they hit all the red lights on the way to work, but do they notice when the lights are all green? I try to.

As for taking the kart - you may get your chance. I'm going to be selling it to finance further, ah, kart projects. I have thought about whether it's had any contribution to the spine hassles, but I doubt it. From talking to the docs and nurses, it sounds like when you get injuries like mine, they don't exactly sneak up on you. You pretty much know the instant it happens - and I've never had pain driving the kart. Anyway, I see that you're local - if you want to take the kart for a spin, that can be arranged. What I'd really like to do is find someone that weighs about 100 lbs and really knows how to drive - then video it. I weighed everything and found out that the kart is 325 lbs in full running condition, without the driver. I'd be interested in seeing what it would do with a lighter driver.

If you come over, maybe I can get you to pick some lottery numbers for me?

-Mark

A.K. Boomer
01-19-2007, 12:19 PM
Speedy recovery to you all ---

On the subject of the "crash" truck --- (i guess it really is a crash truck now isnt it?)

Tie rod is not proof positive that thats what caused the crash, tie rod may have happend in the crash when other wheel slammed the ground and put force into steering knuckle and tried to accelerate top wheel at same speed (you have any idea what one of those wheels weigh:eek: )
you would have to examine all kinds of stuff first, I had to put a simular puzzle together on a Mazzeratti Bi-turbo that a kid told his dad that the car went out of control and went into a ditch --- the tie rod was broken --- however, it broke when it hit the ditch not beforehand...

thistle
01-19-2007, 02:27 PM
apparently the truck rolled about 4 times .......!!!!!!!!!!!!

thistle
01-19-2007, 02:29 PM
here is another guy having a bad day

http://www.jibjab.com/jokebox/jokebox/jibjab/id/321829/jokeid/77614