PDA

View Full Version : Solvent for Silicone Lube

PolskiFran
03-28-2003, 11:53 PM
Does anyone know of a solvent to remove the film that silicone lube (oil) leaves behind. I want to use regular oils. I have tried the usual stuff, carb cleaner, parts washer solvent, paint thinner etc. but the film still remains. This is for a piston in a friend's small sterling engine. When the heat gets to it, everything gums up.

Thanks, Frank

Rich Carlstedt
03-29-2003, 12:55 AM
The automobile paint guys use something to remove silicone residue and is sold in auto-paint stores.
hope this helps

Rustybolt
03-29-2003, 01:28 AM
Try acetone.

Sharpshootermb
03-29-2003, 11:08 AM
Like Rich says, the stuff some body shop guys use is called gun wash. We use it in our automoive shop for hard to clean off chemicals such as urethane adhesives etc. Don't let it remain on anything painted though.

Tedn332
03-29-2003, 02:40 PM
Don't know the ingredients but pvc cleaner cuts through a lot of hard-to-remove gunk and does not harm metals.

CCWKen
03-30-2003, 01:52 AM
Ammonia Soap or Lacquer Thinner. There's also an automotive paint shop product called "Scat". If lacquer thinner didn't take it off, then it's not silicone that's gumming it up. Could be what's in the carier for the silicone. If that's the case, then oil will be worse unles you go to a high-temp lub. Have you tried graphite?

Thrud
03-30-2003, 02:47 AM
PolskiFran:
D-Limonene - or citris peel oil. It is non-toxic but attacks many plastics and paint finishes. It will definately completely remove Silicone oils.

One other that might work is VIM OXY-gel - but I have not tried it on Silicone oils.