PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on DUMORE toolpost grinder

YankeeMetallic
01-18-2007, 02:19 PM
EDITED: 1-19-07
Thanks Gents-
You can now disregard this topic because today I picked up a LIKE NEW Cuttermaster Surface O.D., I.D. tool & cutter grinder! Look for pics in an upcoming post. It came with about $3000 in accessories!! I traded a bunch of crap (I mean good stuff) that has been laying around in the shop for it for a price that was almost criminal!

Good day gentlemen,
I am looking to purchase a Dumore toolpost grinder 57-031 for my lathe, and to set up as a surface grinder on my mill for flat grinding.
If any of you have this type of grinder and could leave feedback on it's performance, performance for the money, and durability I would appreciate it. It is used so it is not an option to go with a Themac. It's condition is superb with original grinding wheels and attachments, some of which have never been used.
I also placed a thread on the PM board as well.
Thanks in advance.

DR
01-18-2007, 02:42 PM
Yank',

Toolpost gridners are a poor substitute for dedicated machines.

The one you're looking at is a cut above some of the smaller models, but still performance-wise it comes nowhere near a machine like a cylindrical grinder which does the same work.

Surface grinding in a mill using this? Only in a pinch. Don't expect it to do much of a job.

On edit: I should have mentioned the toolpost grinder on a mill will have problems because to do surface grinding you generally take light FAST passes, most mills have no way to traverse the table fast at a steady pace. You definitely don't want to try surface grinding if you have to feed by hand with the table crank.

BobWarfield
01-18-2007, 05:58 PM
Yank',

On edit: I should have mentioned the toolpost grinder on a mill will have problems because to do surface grinding you generally take light FAST passes, most mills have no way to traverse the table fast at a steady pace. You definitely don't want to try surface grinding if you have to feed by hand with the table crank.

So what happens on a surface grinder with manual feed? Is it just set up with a leadscrew pitch to feed really fast?

BTW, mill power feed = almost essential accessory and not that expensive:

http://www.thewarfields.com/MT/CCMillPowerFeed.html

Also, didn't mention the usual complaint: "I don't want abrasive grit fouling up my lathe and mill!!!!"

FWIW, Themac is another name that comes up for toolpost grinding.

Best,

BW

Optics Curmudgeon
01-18-2007, 06:13 PM
Surface grinders I have used have had rack & pinion, cable & drum or hydraulic table drives. None had leadscrews.

Joe

CCWKen
01-18-2007, 06:45 PM
A TP grinder definitely has a place in my shop. It's absolutely necessary for some of my tooling. It's not meant to be a surface grinder and a surface grinder is useless as tool post grinder. It's apples and oranges as both have a purpose. I have an old cast iron Dumore #44 and like it. I can't say about the new ones. I don't much care for the newer method of selling the spindles $eparate. If a bearing goes bad or you mess up the spindle shaft, be prepared to get a second mortgage to replace it. :eek:

My problem at the moment is finding a replacement belt. :(

chado
01-18-2007, 07:38 PM
CCWKEN,
This link will get you to what you need.

http://www.nolansupply.com/supermac.asp?supercategory=Tool+Post+Grinders

jim davies
01-19-2007, 02:07 AM
I bought a #57 off Ebay a few years ago. Made up an adapter to mount it on my 12X36 lathe but haven't actually used it yet, other than to run it for a few hours to check function. They sure run nice and quiet.

Orrin
01-19-2007, 10:49 AM
My problem at the moment is finding a replacement belt.

I get my flat belts and grinding wheels from McMaster-Carr. They are of excellent quality at a price that is a tiny fraction of what DuMore charges.

Google McMaster-Carr and then use their excellent search function. They can supply any length belt you might need.

Orrin

YankeeMetallic
01-19-2007, 04:18 PM
Thanks Gents-
You can now disregard this thread because today I picked up a LIKE NEW Cuttermaster Surface O.D., I.D. tool & cutter grinder! Look for pics in an upcoming post. It came with about $3000 is accessories!!