PDA

View Full Version : OT - Source for 30"x36"x1" furnace filter?

pgmrdan
01-19-2007, 08:11 PM
I need some furnace filters in this size. I'd prefer to pay a lot less than the $40+ that a local place wants.

Thanks,
Dan

meho
01-19-2007, 10:54 PM
That's as about as odd a size as it gets. It most likely will have to be a custom made filter. Most supply houses only stock up to 25x25. It should be about $3.50 each in case quantity for standard fiberglass. Custom filters must be ordered in case quantity. Pleated will be three times that each. I had some 16x24x1 pleats made last week the cost me $4.54 each wholesale. The local HVAC supply can help you out. If they are sticking you with that $40 price check out the source:
http://www.precisionaire.com/Retail/products.asp?id=&pg=1

Good Luck,
James

Edited to add: You can't even tape two standard filters together to get that size. Is that going in a floor furnace grill converted to be a return? I got wise once and made a 30x30 filter grill in a house I owned. After buying custom filters a few times I reduced the size to a smaller standard one. 3.5 tons of cooling only needs a 20x20.

wmgeorge
01-19-2007, 11:27 PM
I need some furnace filters in this size. I'd prefer to pay a lot less than the $40+ that a local place wants.

Thanks,
Dan
There is a place here in Des Moines, IA... Air Filter Sales and Service that will make any size you need. My free advise for the day, get one made (aluminum frame) that takes 1 " DA or poly filters that are cut to size with a hot wire cutter. They can make the pads for $1 or so each and you could get 50 or so packed tight into a grocery sack (paper). We use them on commercial jobs and it is a big... time and money saver compared to paper framed filters. I would not recommend a paper pleated filter unless you have a enough air flow to handle the increased pressure drop. BG

CCWKen
01-19-2007, 11:34 PM
Yikes! That 7.5 feet of filter area! You must be heating/cooling 10,000sq.ft. or there abouts. If you're not, cut a piece of plywood, put a ledge on it and get 30x30 filters for $5-$7. A few years ago, I bought a couple of cleanable filters. They've paid for themselves many times already.

pgmrdan
01-22-2007, 11:02 AM
wmgeorge,

Thanks!

Since I work in West Des Moines, IA and live not too far away, that should be very convenient for me.

I just called them and they have the right size pleated filter in stock for $13. That beats the hell out of $40+ the other place wanted.

Thanks again!

Dan

dicks42000
01-23-2007, 01:45 AM
I'll second wmgeorge's assertion that you avoid the pleated-paper filters unless you have sufficient fan HP and airflow available. What is this on, a residential furnace, paint booth, vent fan ?
If it's on a furnace, if the pleated paper filter is already more restrictive than the usual fiberglass media, as the filter becomes loaded up (and more restrictive) the furnace may start cycling on & off on it's high limit control. (I sometimes see this on older systems where the customer has bought a "high efficiency" air filter. ((Read more restrictive))
Why not have a filter rack made up & use fiberglass media. It comes on a roll & can be easily cut to size (scissors, razor knife) & installed in the rack, as others have said. Any descent Tin Shop (oops, am I advertising.... :) ) can make up a rack.
If this is for the usual Lennox goofey hammock filter abortion, fiberglas or polyester filter media is available at just about any home centre, HVAC supplier, hardware store, etc. Also some "Electrostatic" filters available for them, usually at "mask & gun" prices though.
Good luck;
Rick

pgmrdan
01-23-2007, 05:29 PM
This is for a residential Water Furnace geothermal unit. I need to replace the original pleated filter that Water Furnace supplies for these units.

I bought 3 of them last afternoon from the source wmgeorge recommended. The guys at the shop said these are specifically made as replacement filters for my furnace.

meho
01-23-2007, 09:26 PM
Water Furnace has the highest efficiency rating of any unit ever rated, 30 EER.

Nice.

wmgeorge
01-24-2007, 09:19 PM
This is for a residential Water Furnace geothermal unit. I need to replace the original pleated filter that Water Furnace supplies for these units.

I bought 3 of them last afternoon from the source wmgeorge recommended. The guys at the shop said these are specifically made as replacement filters for my furnace.

I have dealt with these folks for years, before starting to teach HVAC. Good people to deal with and they know their stuff, glad it worked out. BTW if you can afford the initial cost geothermal is the way to go.
The hot (lower cost) set up today is a 92 - 94% gas furnace with a air source heat pump. Using the HP down to say 20 DegF and then lock it out and use the gas. I'm putting one in my house next year to replace a 25 year old Lennox Pulse. My calculated savings is about 30- 40% over just the gas unit alone.

Biggest mistake being made today, is not having a Manual J building load calculation done before purchasing the heating / cooling unit.